Depth Chart for UNT vs Southern Miss

MGNation92

19 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

I don’t see why this should even be a question going at the moment. I think Aune will get the start, but what worries me is Littrell saying he expects both to play unless one stays hot.

Most concerning part of what he has said. It's been proven by statisticians that there is no such thing as getting hot. Whatever you are you are. If you are a 50% completion guy that doesn't mean that you complete one miss one, complete one miss one etc. It means over time you will complete 50%. Sometimes complete 4 in a row, sometimes miss 10 in a row. That's not getting hot, it's just math.

Now, yes they can improve that % based on experience, talent and work ethic etc. The main problem seems to be he can't tell which guy has the most talent and work ethic so he can give him the experience. Because if he could, that'd be the guy he'd take his lumps with and go until proven otherwise.

Edited by MeanGreenHoops
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

19 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Career passing stats against FBS competition:

Aune - 17/30 for 412 yards (13.73 yards/attempt) and 3 TDs/1 INT

Bean - 26/45 for 205 yards (4.56 yards/attempt) and 4 TDs/4 INTs

Aune has thrown for over TWICE as many yards against FBS competition as Bean, despite Bean throwing 150% of the pass attempts that Aune has had.

I don’t see why this should even be a question going at the moment. I think Aune will get the start, but what worries me is Littrell saying he expects both to play unless one stays hot.

Aune’s biggest weakness seems to be that he can be a little shaky and make some risky passes, and seeing the whole field. Bean’s biggest weaknesses are arm strength and accuracy. Aune’s weaknesses seem much more of a function of needing on-field experience than Bean’s weaknesses. So let’s get him that experience.

Rushing stats just for the two games this season (assuming they have relatively equal playing time against common opponents)...

Bean - 9 Attempts - Gain 71, Loss 9, Net 62, Avg 6.9, TD 1, Long 37

Aune - 9 Attempts - Gain 39, Loss 7, Net 32, Avg 3.6, TD 1, Long 8

Another aspect to the game besides passing and if our QB has to run for his life due to poor protection or coverage, then does Bean bring big play potential into the mix?  I guess you could argue that if you take away that one 37 yard TD, the stats would be a lot different.  The thing is, you can't take it away.  Bean showed break away speed on that run.  Aune doesn't look slow by any means, but Bean's speed may bring a dimension to the offense that Aune doesn't.  Wouldn't mind seeing Bean line up as a receiving threat every now and then.  

• Upvote 1

Ignoring the career stats against FBS for a second and just looking at this year against common opponents which may be more relevant if we are comparing the two, these stats (with the exception of AVG/G) favor Bean.

image.png.72fc6b73006f3fc442c97553a6826167.png

Edited by keith
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreenHoops said:

Most concerning part of what he has said. It's been proven by statisticians that there is no such thing as getting hot. Whatever you are you are. If you are a 50% completion guy that doesn't mean that you complete one miss one, complete one miss one etc. It means over time you will complete 50%. Sometimes complete 4 in a row, sometimes miss 10 in a row. That's not getting hot, it's just math.

Now, yes they can improve that % based on experience, talent and work ethic etc. The main problem seems to be he can't tell which guy has the most talent and work ethic so he can give him the experience. Because if he could, that'd be the guy he'd take his lumps with and go until proven otherwise.

Completely agree

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, keith said:

Rushing stats just for the two games this season (assuming they have relatively equal playing time against common opponents)...

Bean - 9 Attempts - Gain 71, Loss 9, Net 62, Avg 6.9, TD 1, Long 37

Aune - 9 Attempts - Gain 39, Loss 7, Net 32, Avg 3.6, TD 1, Long 8

Another aspect to the game besides passing and if our QB has to run for his life due to poor protection or coverage, then does Bean bring big play potential into the mix?  I guess you could argue that if you take away that one 37 yard TD, the stats would be a lot different.  The thing is, you can't take it away.  Bean showed break away speed on that run.  Aune doesn't look slow by any means, but Bean's speed may bring a dimension to the offense that Aune doesn't.  Wouldn't mind seeing Bean line up as a receiving threat every now and then.  

I think between Aune running for a TD and using his legs to escape a collapsing pocket and make a big play on 3rd and 9 to Rod Burns and scrambling for a first down, I think he has negated a lot of the advantage that Bean presumably had over him in the legs category.

Don’t expect him to break big runs like  Bean, but I also don’t think that the best guy in the event of a collapsing pocket is necessarily the fastest guy. The fastest guy is also often the one who runs too early. They have both looked pretty good in that category imo.

1 hour ago, keith said:

Ignoring the career stats against FBS for a second and just looking at this year against common opponents which may be more relevant if we are comparing the two, these stats (with the exception of AVG/G) favor Bean.

image.png.72fc6b73006f3fc442c97553a6826167.png

I would feel a lot better about weighing his stats against FCS competition so heavily if he had shown any semblance of success against FBS opponents as well. But in his 8 career appearances against FBS opponents, the highest yards/attempt he had ever had in any of those performances was just 6.5 yards/attempt, and it was just 3.2 against SMU. 

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, 97and03 said:

If I had to choose, I prefer he finishes the game when the defense is a little looser and tired. 

Given Adaway's angry running style, I'm willing to bet he is one of those RB's that gets stronger as the game goes on. I'd like to give him a chance to see if that happens.

8 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

Agreed, although Torrey has not looked nearly as good this year. We need consistency the whole game

I really don't think the problem is Torrey. I think he just isn't getting many holes to run through and being hit at the line of scrimmage too often.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Side Show Joe said:

Given Adaway's angry running style, I'm willing to bet he is one of those RB's that gets stronger as the game goes on. I'd like to give him a chance to see if that happens.

Nothing more demoralizing on a defense then giving them what they know is coming, and they know they can't stop it.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Side Show Joe said:

I totally agree.

How long you been a CFB fan? Did you get to watch those 1990s Nebraska teams?

Everyone knew what they were gonna do, and they just kept doing it anyways.  Run through you.  Run around you.  That's it.  Beat you to a pulp.  Must have driven several DC's out of their mind.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, greenminer said:

How long you been a CFB fan? Did you get to watch those 1990s Nebraska teams?

Everyone knew what they were gonna do, and they just kept doing it anyways.  Run through you.  Run around you.  That's it.  Beat you to a pulp.  Must have driven several DC's out of their mind.

I've been watching college ball for a while. I remember watching the annual Texas/Texas A&M Thanksgiving games, back when Earl Campbell was punishing defenses. I remember listening to SWC games on the radio before they started playing the Raycom games on fox sports southwest (at the time HSE: Home Sports Entertainment). And I agree, Nebraska had a great option offense back in the Osborn days.

• Upvote 1

• 9 months later...