Depth Chart for UNT vs Southern Miss

MGNation92

1 hour ago, Withers940 said:

For the Love of all that is holy....Go with AUNE!!!!!!

Career passing stats against FBS competition:

Aune - 17/30 for 412 yards (13.73 yards/attempt) and 3 TDs/1 INT

Bean - 26/45 for 205 yards (4.56 yards/attempt) and 4 TDs/4 INTs

Aune has thrown for over TWICE as many yards against FBS competition as Bean, despite Bean throwing 150% of the pass attempts that Aune has had.

I don’t see why this should even be a question going at the moment. I think Aune will get the start, but what worries me is Littrell saying he expects both to play unless one stays hot.

Aune’s biggest weakness seems to be that he can be a little shaky and make some risky passes, and seeing the whole field. Bean’s biggest weaknesses are arm strength and accuracy. Aune’s weaknesses seem much more of a function of needing on-field experience than Bean’s weaknesses. So let’s get him that experience.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2

3 hours ago, Withers940 said:

I like both QB’s (➡️ do say the following word like the NO’s Bowl Exec.Director from the early 2000’s would say it—
”p-o-t-e-n-t-i-a-l“🤪 very much.  
For now Aune shows more propensity to be a field general & control the tempo.
 Bean will grow into what Coach Littrell & Company want with his getting more experience.
(I wonder how the U of Kentucky transfer QB fits into future plans)?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Withers940 said:

I'm big believer in going "with your gut" in many situations.     At best, I'd MAYBE let Bean go on the very first series, and if he doesnt show that "sense of urgency" or "attack mode", to me thats the writing on the wall, and I'd pull him. I just dont get the feeling of "leadership/intensity".....

Maybe it's been discussed before...But the guy is crazy fast, athletic and tall.   Have they considered converting him to a receiver?

3 minutes ago, trud1966 said:

I'm big believer in going "with your gut" in many situations.     At best, I'd MAYBE let Bean go on the very first series, and if he doesnt show that "sense of urgency" or "attack mode", to me thats the writing on the wall, and I'd pull him. I just dont get the feeling of "leadership/intensity".....

Maybe it's been discussed before...But the guy is crazy fast, athletic and tall.   Have they considered converting him to a receiver?

And if Aune doesn't show the same "sense of urgency" or "attack mode" in the next series?   ...Is it Kason's turn?

31 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

And if Aune doesn't show the same "sense of urgency" or "attack mode" in the next series?   ...Is it Kason's turn?

Nah leave Aune in and let him take his lumps. It may suck for a while but at least you're getting a guy game reps and preparing for the future.

If it's a complete catastrophe then maybe switch again, but I say roll with one guy and let him grow, warts and all.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, MGNation92 said:

Nah leave Aune in and let him take his lumps. It may suck for a while but at least you're getting a guy game reps and preparing for the future.

If it's a complete catastrophe then maybe switch again, but I say roll with one guy and let him grow, warts and all.

Why does Aune get more leeway though?   Why doesn't Bean get to take lumps?

Honestly, I think both QBs are worse having to constantly 'look over their shoulder'.   
Littrell says their competition makes them both better, and that's true... during the offseason.  During games that count, it doesn't.  It forces both guys to play tight knowing a single mistake can get them benched.  The quicker he names a single starter, the faster our offense will start clicking for real.

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Honestly, I think both QBs are worse having to constantly 'look over their shoulder'.   
Littrell says their competition makes them both better, and that's true... during the offseason.  During games that count, it doesn't.  It forces both guys to play tight knowing a single mistake can get them benched.  The quicker he names a single starter, the faster our offense will start clicking for real.

Personal preference. If Bean is the guy we roll with so be it, just roll with a guy and let him figure it out

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Aune could throw 38 straight incompletions and he’d still have a higher career yards/pass attempt than what Bean currently has. And that’s including stats from FCS games, so I’m not manipulating stats here. Going off their full body of work.

I don’t see the angle where Bean gets the argument for lack of chances over Aune, who he has had more than. I know that’s not necessarily what you’re saying, but Aune has outperformed Bean in aggregate from what we’ve seen of them and Bean has had more on-field opportunities.

Why shouldn’t we see more Aune? Shouldn’t he have more opportunities in order to actually even out the chances he has had with Bean? Then you can evaluate based on similar opportunities. Especially since Aune has done far more to earn those future opportunities than the guy who has had more to this point.

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Agreed on all of this. He said he wanted a starter for conference play, and based on on-field results I don’t see an unbiased angle where that guy shouldn’t be Aune.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Another walk-on in on the defense. Didn’t we recruit about a dozen LBs the last three or four years? We have a walk-on fullback and now this guy at LB. (yes I know Kyleb played LB)

https://meangreensports.com/sports/football/roster/silakivai-carmichael/4790

The LB's are the primary position group hit by the Covid issue, hence why the depth is all messed up. 

1 hour ago, bstnsportsfan3 said:

Wondering what happened to the Murphy Twins at LB? We seem so thin at a position I thought would be a strength!

No, see above. 

Just now, MGNation92 said:

Agreed, although Torrey has not looked nearly as good this year. We need consistency the whole game

Watching Torrey during the SMU game, he looks a lot thicker this season. 
His game was more shifty/homerun-type running. 
I wonder if the muscle he gained over the offseason slowed him down some?

• Upvote 1