I will NEVER understand

El Paso Eagle

11 hours ago, Side Show Joe said:

We should be playing a series with BC. We are the two oldest college programs with Eagles as their mascots. BC adopted the Golden Eagle in 1920 and we adopted the (Bald?) Eagle in 1922.

We should have adopted the Golden Eagle or the Red Tail Hawk as our mascot. Both are much more common to the Denton Area.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

6 minutes ago, letsgiveacheer said:

Or the famous Silver Eagle!

infamous........and somewhat annoying.

Hmmmm, that describes the North Texas student body almost to a T.

As I've pointed out in the past. Considering our tradition of bitching and griping about.....well..... anything.  We should have adopted the "Harpy Eagle" as our mascot.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

On 9/19/2020 at 7:41 PM, NM Green said:

52 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

infamous........and somewhat annoying.

Hmmmm, that describes the North Texas student body almost to a T.

As I've pointed out in the past. Considering our tradition of bitching and griping about.....well..... anything.  We should have adopted the "Harpy Eagle" as our mascot.

maybe this is a better choice.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

We should have adopted the Golden Eagle or the Red Tail Hawk as our mascot. Both are much more common to the Denton Area.

Our university represents the North Texas region rather than just Denton.  Our forefathers had great insight into the future:

The Bald Eagle is becoming more common in north Texas, especially in winter. It is usually found at the larger area lakes. Nesting has increased as well.

https://bpraptorcenter.org/baldeagle/

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Then most likely would have never become the Mean Green

The Mean Green came about because a bunch of unknown defensive players @ NT swore that they would not be door mats any longer. They became dominate in their play and subsequently inspired a nickname......the Mean Green. Much like the defense of LSU during that era that called their defense the "Chinese Bandits". 

It's a warrior cast-like designation. Much like the Cheyenne "Dog Soldiers", or the Samurai of Japan....or the Cossacks of Russia.

Hayden Fry felt that emphasizing "Mean Green" for the whole team over the Eagle Mascot (which he thought had a losing reputation) would help change the losing culture going on at NT.

It should have remained a defensive unit nickname.   

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 2

6 minutes ago, Ibleedgreen said:

To my knowledge, we’ve never been specifically bald eagle. In fact, in the 1960s the Talons kept a caged, live golden eagle named Scrappy that they brought to every home game.

Until the eagle died, which I understood happened on more than one occasion.

When I was at North Texas (back in the dark ages) there was a large cage at the back of the golf course clubhouse that kept an eagle.  I'm not sure what kind of eagle it was but I'd say that it was a golden eagle. Feeding the eagle was was very difficult so it was given to Forest Park Zoo in Fort Worth I'm told. I left North Texas in 1950 for a Navy hitch and came back for the spring semester of 1955.  I joined the forerunner to the present Talons (called the Rally Club).  As president of that club in 56-57 my job was to go to Fort Worth on home game day and get an eagle (on loan) and bring it to Denton.  It was supposedly a golden eagle also.  I was told that it was against the law to own or regularly keep a bald eagle as they were our protected national emblem.  

I think that part of the confusion came from early art work back in the 50s.  It depicted a white-headed eagle with wings akimbo and looking mean.  In short, we were just the eagles with no particular type.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 3

14 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

The Mean Green came about because a bunch of unknown defensive players @ NT swore that they would not be door mats any longer. They became dominate in their play and subsequently inspired a nickname......the Mean Green. Much like the defense of LSU during that era that called their defense the "Chinese Bandits". 

It's a warrior cast-like designation. Much like the Cheyenne "Dog Soldiers", or the Samurai of Japan....or the Cossacks of Russia.

Hayden Fry felt that emphasizing "Mean Green" for the whole team over the Eagle Mascot (which he thought had a losing reputation) would help change the losing culture going on at NT.

It should have remained a defensive unit nickname.   

Maybe someone should let our current defense know of this.

50 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

Maybe someone should let our current defense know of this.

Well, if it was up to me I would engage Joe Greene and any of his former teammates from that 1966 defense to sit down and make a video for all future North Texas defensive players to view as part of their orientation into the program. It could also be a regular video for all new general population students to view in their orientation. 

How long ago did A$M nail down their consistent story about the 12th man? 

Why the hell can't we CONSISTENTLY tell our story about the MEAN GREEN?

A$M is all about tradition, tradition and TRADITION!

WE however are all about........well.......(in his best 16 year old girl voice)........whatever🙄

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

Well, if it was up to me I would engage Joe Greene and any of his former teammates from that 1966 defense to sit down and make a video for all future North Texas defensive players to view as part of their orientation into the program. It could also be a regular video for all new general population students to view in their orientation. 

How long ago did A$M nail down their consistent story about the 12th man? 

Why the hell can't we CONSISTENTLY tell our story about the MEAN GREEN?

A$M is all about tradition, tradition and TRADITION!

WE however are all about........well.......(in his best 16 year old girl voice)........whatever🙄

How about we come up with something engaging at the end of the 3rd quarter of every home game? I've always dreamt of experienceing  Camp Randall's "Jump Around".  Maybe we can come up with something like that, but with some "Mean Green' chant involved that reminds us of who we are.  I'm a rock-n-roll guy first (the classic rock stuff is great, plus the intense guitar of Dimebag Darrell at every Dallas Stars game....love it!), but I would be down for other styles too.

Speaking of A&M and traditions...when we adopted the new design for class rings in the early 2000s and established the ring ceremony, I was excited and under the impression that we would have one ring like A&M, which would serve to make us a more cohesive alumni group. Sadly, we now seem to have multiple class ring designs. So much for that tradition...

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Ibleedgreen said:

Speaking of A&M and traditions...when we adopted the new design for class rings in the early 2000s and established the ring ceremony, I was excited and under the impression that we would have one ring like A&M, which would serve to make us a more cohesive alumni group. Sadly, we now seem to have multiple class ring designs. So much for that tradition...

I mean, isn’t that appropriate? ATM is all about conformity and NT is more individualistic. Makes perfect sense to me. 

• Upvote 1