Only 4 positives and cancel?

Tom McKrackin

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

"Contact tracing" and quarantining the folks that have come in contact with those 4 positives will wipe out at least a whole position unit, if not an entire side of the ball.

This. I work in a school, and when we get a positive case we have to go through the contact tracing process that results in numerous quarantines. Four could definitely wipe out a huge number. 

• Upvote 6

There is a fairly high degree of false negatives and moderate rate of asymptomatic response for those potential positives - means they need accurate contact tracing.  

NFL has the resources to test every day with rapid tests - which eliminates the false negative problem. Universities do not that at their disposal. 

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, Tom McKrackin said:

I' m sorry but something doesn't add up.  UNT says they only have 4 positive tests.  that's not enough to cancel a ballgame.  Something smells funny.

Thats more positives than Baylor had.  Some of their players had 4 negative tests but weren't allowed to play due to contact tracing

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

"Contact tracing" and quarantining the folks that have come in contact with those 4 positives will wipe out at least a whole position unit, if not an entire side of the ball.

Thank you @MeanGreenTexan

@Tom McKrackin@Cr1028Conspiracy Theories at The Eagles Nest 🤣

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 3
  • Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, UNT86 said:

Speaking as someone who currently has Covid, it is the real thing.

It is relentless and EVERY step should be taken to keep it from spreading.

If it means we cancel a football game, then we cancel.

If you think it isn't real or isn't that bad, then I would guess you probably have not had it.... and I hope you don't.

Do you know how you got it? I’m trying to learn how this thing spreads according to real persons.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 3

50 minutes ago, UNT86 said:

If you think it isn't real or isn't that bad, then I would guess you probably have not had it.... and I hope you don't.

Sorry that you have caught this and hope you recover soon.

• Upvote 6

10 minutes ago, UNT86 said:

I am a middle school teacher.  I got it the first week students came back on campus face to face.  I had morning cafeteria duty the first day students came back.  I had to tell the kids over and over to wear the mask over their nose too or to pull it up.  It was a constant issue telling them to wear the mask in the classroom (they want to take it off at their seats). I had afternoon bus duty that same day.  It was a mask free zone when they were waiting on their parents - not because we allowed it, but they would not listen.

I tested positive at the end of the week.

I have not been back to work since then because I cannot go 3 days without a fever.  Most days it is over 100.

Wow, thank you for sharing that. I wish you all the best and hope you have a speedy recovery.

• Upvote 7

49 minutes ago, UNT86 said:

I am a middle school teacher.  I got it the first week students came back on campus face to face.  I had morning cafeteria duty the first day students came back.  I had to tell the kids over and over to wear the mask over their nose too or to pull it up.  It was a constant issue telling them to wear the mask in the classroom (they want to take it off at their seats). I had afternoon bus duty that same day.  It was a mask free zone when they were waiting on their parents - not because we allowed it, but they would not listen.

I have not been back to work since then because I cannot go 3 days without a fever.  Most days it is over 100.

I'm very sorry you are ill and hope you recover soon. I couldn't find an appropriate tag so I went with a heart. 

• Upvote 6
  • Lovely Take 1

1 hour ago, UNT86 said:

Hope you feel better soon.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 2

2 hours ago, akriesman said:

I had it way back in early march (moderate case, no hospitalization needed).    The fever lasted over 2 weeks.   The health department would not clear me to leave the house for over 2 months because of existing cough.    Of course, this was the very beginning of the outbreak.  So, maybe they were being overly cautious then.

I would say that it took me about 5 months to get back to completely normal.    Up until Covid, I hadn't been sick in about 15 years.   In the 3 months right after Covid, I came down with 2 stomach viruses and also an MRSA infection.  In other words, Covid seems to have knocked out my immune system.

Hope you get better soon.  It is a crazy and unpredictable virus.

Glad you are getting better. This is what I have been talking about about in the other forum - this isn’t all about deaths. This nasty little bug is all over the place, causing immune or autoimmune problems, heart issues, and kidney problems (in addition to the lungs of course). I hope you keep improving! 

• Upvote 4

21 hours ago, UNT86 said:

I was reminded about how serious it can be when I learned that it took The Rock over 3 weeks to beat it. If it takes a guy that looks like him 3 weeks then it'll put me in a casket for sure. Wishing you a speedy and fully recovery, and I'm glad my mom was able to retire from teaching last year. 

Edited by Coffee and TV
  • Upvote 5

I know a student-athlete (SA) who attends that university in Dallas which is hated by most on this forum. SA had to quarantine due to contact tracing. Right before and during quarantine, SA tested negative (rapid test) and then negative again (nasal swab test). Near the end of that quarantine, SA felt "allergies" were becoming more severe. SA went to be tested for third time and it was positive. That started a new period of quarantine.

Before SA can start practicing again, SA must have EKG and blood work tested. If those results are normal, then SA takes a stress test. If results are normal, then SA is allowed to practice for a short period of time wearing a heart rate monitor on first day back. Then allowed to practice for a longer period of time on second day. SA then has to be medically cleared to participate in full length practices. SA is not a football player.

I do not know the protocol for UNT or if there is a mandatory CUSA one. I hope UNT can keep the positive tests to a minimum because the quarantine process could have a huge impact on the season, especially if the odd situation happened as described above. Stay healthy!

• Upvote 4