Walerius Sounds The Commitment Horn

BillySee58

9 hours ago, greenminer said:

Great get.  I'll spend too much time thinking about where this program would be NOW if Seth had figured out recruiting 4 years ago, rather than 2.

I think your answer is in the following post:

2 hours ago, UNT18Grad said:

Is there any member of our staff as valuable as Walerius?  And yes, I'm including Littrell in that.  Our recruiting is truly night and day since he's joined the staff, let's hope we can keep him around as long as possible.

Walerius was hired in 2018.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, greenminer said:

Great get.  I'll spend too much time thinking about where this program would be NOW if Seth had figured out recruiting 4 years ago, rather than 2.

I think he had it figured out even then. But it took some actual winning to even make a small dent with TX HS Coaches and recruits. All they have known most of their lives is that we suck, we acted like we don't really care that we suck for a long time, and that SL was a new coach.

Now, the irony is that our recruiting is finally improving, just as we start losing again. But that has everything to do with what was the problem 4 year ago, when were hauling in classes ranked below 100. And we had a miracle in Mason Fine, who was so special that he made plays even with a sieve for an OL

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

But it took some actual winning to even make a small dent with TX HS Coaches and recruits. All they have known most of their lives is that we suck, we acted like we don't really care that we suck for a long time, and that SL was a new coach.

Until I hear some substance from actual HS coaches, this is just message board speculation to me.

I think all this talk about HS coaches and what they think of us (negatively), and our supposed bad relationship with them....it may be right.  I just don't play that card because I haven't heard anything from the coaches themselves.

• RV 1
  • Eye Roll 1

26 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Until I hear some substance from actual HS coaches, this is just message board speculation to me.

I think all this talk about HS coaches and what they think of us (negatively), and our supposed bad relationship with them....it may be right.  I just don't play that card because I haven't heard anything from the coaches themselves.

I can verify for you. The head coach at Frisco Lone Star, who has kids that have gone to several FBS schools, said this exact thing when McCarney got fired. His exact words—“DMac is a fine man, HS coaches like him, but he ran arcane offense and coached at a place that isn’t serious about winning.” Former HS coach at Daingerfield said the same thing about Dodge before that. 

It’s what SL had to take on when he agreed to coach here.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

13 hours ago, greenminer said:

This is why I am not going to jump on board with the Littrell bashing.    Seth's first year of recruiting was a shortened season due to the late start.   His second recruiting season was indeed disappointing.    Since then, the staff has done a terrific job recruiting and 2021 looks promising also.

I get the disappointment.    Getting hammered by our hated local rivals causes anger and snap judgements to be made.

When you throw in all the redshirts, we really won't know what the last 2 classes will bring until 2021 at the least.   If this program turns it around and starts winning with the better classes, Seth is going to be looking elsewhere and who could blame him after some of the abuse he has taken lately.    If he leaves, people will then be complaining because coaches show no loyalty and always use the G5 schools as a platform to something better.     Where is the fan loyalty ?

If you are a G5 coach, your damned if you do and damned if you don't.

I am not happy either with the way things have gone over the last year.    And last week was a complete embaresssment.  But, it is a little to early to be talking about buyouts IMO.    If 2021 is a dumpster fire, then it might be a different story.

Edited by akriesman
  • Upvote 2