Should UNT copy UH with the Super Pit instead of jumping over I-35E to a less student accessible BB venue. See link.

PlummMeanGreen

It makes all the difference. 

After the Longhorns and the Aggies built their athletic facilities,  the legislature passed laws forbidding the use of tax dollars for athletic facilities.  We got around that by building an "auditorium" for academic use. The athletic department has to rent the facility any time we use it. The athletic department cannot upgrade the facility since we do not own it. Case I point are the minimal Mean Green rooms.

And what makes you think we played an exhibition game against a conference opponent in March?

We badly need a basketball arena we control. It needs to be smaller so that people purchase season tickets. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNT86 said:

It makes all the difference. 

After the Longhorns and the Aggies built their athletic facilities,  the legislature passed laws forbidding the use of tax dollars for athletic facilities.  We got around that by building an "auditorium" for academic use. The athletic department has to rent the facility any time we use it. The athletic department cannot upgrade the facility since we do not own it. Case I point are the minimal Mean Green rooms.

And what makes you think we played an exhibition game against a conference opponent in March?

We badly need a basketball arena we control. It needs to be smaller so that people purchase season tickets. 

Who do you think makes the ultimate decisions on the use of any athletic facility at NT?  I am amazed that this keeps coming up as a major problem.  It just is not. 

It is like you and others think that the AD is having to write a check to the school for use of facilities.   It is all funny money, on paper the AD is charged rent and the school covers it.  The Athletic Department loses millions of dollars every year like most programs in the NCAA.  

I didn't know people could not purchase season tickets because the SPit is too large. 

The SPit has been upgraded on numerous occasions.   New seat coverings, lighting, better restrooms and concessions have all been done.   It makes absolutely no difference whether this is ran through the AD or not.   

The projects have to be approved and funded in the same manner as every other athletic facility.  Do you really think the AD (Baker) can unilaterally make decisions to spend millions of dollars on anything? 

• Upvote 2