DRC: UNT COVID-19 testing update

Brett Vito

12 minutes ago, Green Crazy said:

Why does that make it worse?

Either he, himself was not doing "everything he can", or his closest teammates (LB position group) were not listening to his leadership.  Either way, it's not a good look when one of your leaders succumbs to the very disease he was trying to lead his team through.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

21 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Either he, himself was not doing "everything he can", or his closest teammates (LB position group) were not listening to his leadership.  Either way, it's not a good look when one of your leaders succumbs to the very disease he was trying to lead his team through.

Unless you completely isolate yourself, there is no way to 100% protect yourself from coronavirus.  There obviously is no way to do that in practice or at the game. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Unless you completely isolate yourself, there is no way to 100% protect yourself from coronavirus.  There obviously is no way to do that in practice or at the game. 

I'm pretty sure they didn't catch it at the HBU game, or we'd have seen HBU players test positive.

And all it would take is 1 guy (I'll take KD at his word, and believe he's been staying pretty isolated outside of practice), so let's say it was someone else who possibly went out to eat w/friends outside the team or something.  That 1 guy can bring it to practice and pass it all around, which is likely what happened.

It doesn't match the rest of the team's fervor to make sure they don't put themselves in a position to somehow catch it.  They've been preaching to sacrifice and do whatever it takes to get on the field on Saturdays.   Basically, for 3 months it's football, online class, dining hall, and back to your apt/dorm room playing Fortnite or something.   Anything/Everything else is a risk.

I pray those 4 who did test positive are able to recover quickly and not have these lasting effects that are being seen.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I don’t see why they don’t have the team under a sort of “NBA bubble” where they are limited to in-person contact only with football players and staff.

Perhaps it would’ve worked out better to just go wild and let everyone get it before conference games started like Coach O did at LSU. Now the 53+ players he had that tested positive have a 90 day period where they won’t have to be tested again. Win at all costs in the SEC I suppose but I guess for them the risk of losing a key player during the season is higher than that player facing the virus head on.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronavirus-lsu-football-players-had-covid-19-ed-orgeron/

https://sports.yahoo.com/75-texas-tech-players-have-tested-positive-for-covid-19-024922621.html

Edited by Cr1028
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

Perhaps it would’ve worked out better to just go wild and let everyone get it before conference games started...

Yes - let's ignore the unpaid players' health for our entertainment.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/in-depth/coronavirus-long-term-effects/art-20490351#:~:text=Organs that may be affected,heart complications in the future.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

28 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

I was saying that with sarcasm. That Coach O and Coach Wells put winning above the intent of the tests. The tests are intended to prevent the spread but Orgeron used it as a check box to ensure the eligibility of his players. I thought it was a pretty shitty way to game the system but I guess that’s what it takes to be a national champion coach these days.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2

23 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

and yes I do realize that......

Most people who have coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) recover completely within a few weeks. But some people — even those who had mild versions of the disease — continue to experience symptoms after their initial recovery.

Older people and people with many serious medical conditions are the most likely to experience lingering COVID-19symptoms.

• Heart. Imaging tests taken months after recovery from COVID-19 have shown lasting damage to the heart muscle, even in people who experienced only mild COVID-19symptoms. This may increase the risk of heart failure or other heart complications in the future.

I also realize that you can’t really say anything definitive about long term health effects of a virus we have only been studying for 6-9 months.