MGN 132: Complaints

aztecskin

Yeah @wardly I mentioned the challenge there -- like, compared to the conference and the rest of the G5, Littrell has not overly impressed. Compared to recent NT history, however, and he deserves loads of praise. 

The key in the organizational process is to get passed that, and set goals that can be achieved, but challenge the coaching staff and the program. 

So I don't think it unrealistic to say "let's not have abominable defensive performances every week". 

That said, the only organizational recourse cannot simply be "you are fired". But maybe hold off on the pay raise. 

• Upvote 5

As stated in several threads Seth ain't goin no where cause of that high dollar contract. As he dreams of coaching a P5 school he needs to come back to reality and earn his 1.5 million this year and next and turn this program around not only winning in the CUSA-W but beyond. I don't know if he can..........

20 hours ago, aztecskin said:

I complained about the game. 

https://meangreennation.com/132-destroyed-by-smu/

I wrote about the game here: https://meangreennation.com/destroyed-smu-65-nt-35/ 

Question for you and others...

Is this season considered a "rebuilding year" or are we just getting a glimpse of who we really are with the team being 100% Littrell's team?

I'll hang up and listen

• Lovely Take 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

True

Seth 12-5-2015
Wren 7-29-2016

This is true. I believe WB extended Seth twice but Brint Ryan and Smatresk hired Seth and I'm sure had a lot to do with his extensions as well since President and Board approval are required. At the time, most everyone agreed on the extensions (last one was when he beat Arkansas and SMU and after back to back 9 win seasons for the 2nd time ever) but the salary did seem high. Perhaps that was due to the Kansas State flirtations, not sure.

I'm not ready to write this season or Seth off. I'm hopeful we'll settle in and win six or seven. But if we have to hire a coach, WB has shown the ability to get good ones. I think he's hired two at UNT. Both Grant McCasland and Rodney DeLong look like fantastic hires to date. Both have won the conference championship in the their first 3 seasons. Hopefully Seth gets back on track but if not, let's fast forward and let WB have a crack at getting the right coach. Oddly enough, if I were to criticize WB for anything other than Seth's salary it would be his patience with head coaches he didn't hire. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, meangreenJW said:

This is true. I believe WB extended Seth twice but Brint Ryan and Smatresk hired Seth and I'm sure had a lot to do with his extensions as well since President and Board approval are required. At the time, most everyone agreed on the extensions (last one was when he beat Arkansas and SMU and after back to back 9 win seasons for the 2nd time ever) but the salary did seem high. Perhaps that was due to the Kansas State flirtations, not sure.

I'm not ready to write this season or Seth off. I'm hopeful we'll settle in and win six or seven. But if we have to hire a coach, WB has shown the ability to get good ones. I think he's hired two at UNT. Both Grant McCasland and Rodney DeLong look like fantastic hires to date. Both have won the conference championship in the their first 3 seasons. Hopefully Seth gets back on track but if not, let's fast forward and let WB have a crack at getting the right coach. Oddly enough, if I were to criticize WB for anything other than Seth's salary it would be his patience with head coaches he didn't hire. 

If @Wren can hire another McCasland I'm in.  Now if you are a UNT fan that feels that the bare minimum is enough, then okay. But some people choose to want more and we encourage that, okay?

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, MrStrange18 said:

Question for you and others...

Is this season considered a "rebuilding year" or are we just getting a glimpse of who we really are with the team being 100% Littrell's team?

I'll hang up and listen

I think it was a hybrid year. Last year they were out of sync. The defense was young but the offense was experienced -- a senior QB, senior WR (Bussey), and returning talent. 

This year, we had those young defensive guys in Year 2 as starters, but an inexperienced QB. There were a lot of complaints the last two seasons that garbage time was not spent on developing the next QB and I think we are seeing some of that now. 

Jason Bean has talent, but it looks (to me) like he needs more game snaps. Same with Aune. When we were getting blown out last season, that was a good time to develop Bean more than having him turn and hand it off. 

There is talent across the offense -- Adaway, Torrey, et al, Shorter, Darden, Ogunmakin, White, Simpson. I would not have hated it if Seth went out and recruited a JUCO or grad transfer QB to lead things. Instead he decided to go with the youth. That can work, but they look like they are not completely ready. 

TL;DR: Not quite a rebuilding year, but a transitionary year. Lot of youth, and I think they can take their lumps this year and be good and solid next year. See Southern Miss' group growing together the last two seasons. 

• Upvote 3

On 9/21/2020 at 12:39 PM, untjim1995 said:

SL has to prove he can do anything without Graham Harrell--right now, GH looks like he was the mastermind here for our offense and had a healthy Mason Fine to run it. 

We still had some of Dan’s offensive line here as well as SL original offensive line coach. I think the main issue is SL knew who to grab once he made it to HC but after all his guys got picked off he has no clue who to hire that worth anything.