Salt in the Wound

MeanGreen2019

My thoughts....

a. Driving to Denton, I saw this billboard, and it of course- steamed me pretty bad..

b. After the game - I had to laugh...Well done SMU.   I hate to admit it, but we TOTALLY deserved that. 

But something to to chew on....Many of us on have heard for years, have heard how "SMU doesn't consider us a real team (I know I know, don't leave, read all of this...) and that this game means nothing to them, and in NO WAY do THEY consider it important or a Rivalry....", right?

Look at both images again.....CLEARLY,UNDENIABLY, they do...And, they're winning it, easily...

We got 4 more years in this series I think?   If nothing else, this is a battle for recruiting, and maybe to a lesser extent, Billboard Shaming.  So the AD needs to think hard about the next 4 years....This game, aside from the "rivalry", is a pretty close second to winning the conference.  To win this game means you might just convince that one 3-4 star kid that's on the fence about a final decision. 

If we're gonna play them, we need to know we can beat them, or for petes sake, at least be competitive with them....If we're gonna go through 4 more years of what happened Saturday, drop the series...It was like we were playing Ohio State or Notre Dame...

And you can now bet your ass, thinking about if we win next year, I'm already scoping out Billboards on Central Expressway close to SMU.   I'll chip in...

Pony Up.jpg

Edited by trud1966
  • Upvote 7

10 hours ago, Venson said:

If we do get rid of SL, we need to get a defensive minded coach. IMO the most successful coaches in football have always come from the defensive side of the ball. Really outside of Lombardi and Bill Walsh, offensive coaches usually only win you one championship and then it's back to the bottom. The guys that have been consistent winners at all levels cut their teeth coaching on the defensive side of the ball. I am thinking Belichick, Noll, Shula, Landry, Parcells, Saban, just to name a few. If we can find a good young defensive minded coach who wants to win, he will be able to find a good OC to run the offense. We need to stay away from retreads who are looking to retire with one last good salary. I am just a strong believer in Defense first. For my money, I am going to always look for guys who believe in defense first. It doesn't do you any good to score tons of points if you can't stop the other team from scoring.

I would disagree. Qb is key, I would get a qb guru type that is known.

• Upvote 1

On 9/20/2020 at 9:32 AM, UNT 90 Grad said:

From the bowels of Apogee post game:

We gotta put an end to this crap.  Not in our house!

Being an SMU alum at the game, while the dominance was great at first, by the time the 3rd quarter rolled around I quickly began to feel bad about what was happening.

UNT folks have a hard enough time as it is and I know the SMU game every year is like the Super Bowl for them. 

it’s great to get the win, but it did feel bad kicking the Eagles while they are down.

Edited by Sympothizer
Grammar
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Y'all know these billboards are all over North Texas, and are placed in places where the players on them are from..., right?
For instance, Robinson was a great player at Ryan.  That's why he's on the billboard in Denton.   It's not a shot at the University of North Texas, although it certainly works as one.

You can’t argue that about the tweet 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

We care less about your little privates than Dallas, which is right around zero.

I think for most in Denton, the Park Cities and The Hilltop could, should and do represent something to aspire toward.

That is one of the reasons why this game has been so great as an outreach tool for SMU.

For example, a DMN recap of the game showed that a UNT commit flipped from UNT to SMU even before the thrashing.

The transfer portal remains open to other Mean Green standouts who want to take the challenge.

its a great thing for the community as a whole, and I think everyone should take pride in it if these transfers and commit swaps do happen. 

Edited by Sympothizer
Grammar
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 3
  • Downvote 3

2 hours ago, Sympothizer said:

I think for most in Denton, the Park Cities and The Hilltop could, should and do represent something to aspire toward.

That is one of the reasons why this game has been so great as an outreach tool for SMU.

For example, a DMN recap of the game showed that a UNT commit flipped from UNT to SMU even before the thrashing.

The transfer portal remains open to other Mean Green standouts who want to take the challenge.

its a great thing for the community as a whole, and I think everyone should take pride in it if these transfers and commit swaps do happen. 

smuT didn't flip one of our commits.  He de-committed long ago and then made the poor decision to attend the little private school in University Park.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

18 hours ago, Venson said:

If we do get rid of SL, we need to get a defensive minded coach. IMO the most successful coaches in football have always come from the defensive side of the ball. Really outside of Lombardi and Bill Walsh, offensive coaches usually only win you one championship and then it's back to the bottom. The guys that have been consistent winners at all levels cut their teeth coaching on the defensive side of the ball. I am thinking Belichick, Noll, Shula, Landry, Parcells, Saban, just to name a few. If we can find a good young defensive minded coach who wants to win, he will be able to find a good OC to run the offense. We need to stay away from retreads who are looking to retire with one last good salary. I am just a strong believer in Defense first. For my money, I am going to always look for guys who believe in defense first. It doesn't do you any good to score tons of points if you can't stop the other team from scoring.

I would also agree with this but it’s hard to find a young Buddy Ryan. I would love for someone to come in and bring some grit to the D because it looks like a bunch of grab *** arm tacking with no bit of gumption.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Sympothizer said:

Ha! Joke is on you! We don’t have any standout players, so suck it!!!

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 1

On 9/21/2020 at 1:16 PM, Wag Tag said:

I would disagree. Qb is key, I would get a qb guru type that is known.

I would agree with QB is key, but not a QB guru to be your head coach. None of the great head coaches from the defensive side of the ball were QB gurus. They just knew how to find the guys who were gurus to coach their QBs. None of those guys I mentioned were QB gurus, but they all seemed to find QBs who are hall of famers, but I certainly do believe that QB is the most important position on the field.

On 9/21/2020 at 9:48 AM, peanuts104 said:

The fact that nobody has named a specific replacement for SL tells me all I need to know. You're just mad.

So what if people are mad. They should be. The fact that the alternative is not immediately obvious doesn't mean the situation needs to be accepted as it is.

SL is appears to be a decent middle of the road C-USA coach who has finally learned how to recruit better. Problem is he is getting paid as if he were already a perennial conference title contender who wins bowl games at least every other year.

Edited by outoftown

2 hours ago, Venson said:

I would agree with QB is key, but not a QB guru to be your head coach. None of the great head coaches from the defensive side of the ball were QB gurus. They just knew how to find the guys who were gurus to coach their QBs. None of those guys I mentioned were QB gurus, but they all seemed to find QBs who are hall of famers, but I certainly do believe that QB is the most important position on the field.

Did someone say "QB Guru"?
5ec34d5b9c33c.image.jpg?resize=400,266

• Upvote 1