Salt in the Wound

MeanGreen2019

Salt in the wound. I was defending Seth up until this point, but I can’t any longer. He has the left the program in a better place but since we lost to La Tech 2 years ago we have gone 10-12. Not only was that a season changing loss, but is was a program changing loss. You can’t crap the bed in literally every big game we have. The team was lifeless and scared before this game even started.

Unfortunately, we can’t get rid of Seth because the gamble that Wren took with upping his buyout so we will have to ride with him this year. Hopefully next year, he either does well enough to leave or does bad enough to get fired. They better ball out in Houston because this fan base is pissed.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 2

10 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

As you stated I think he gets one more year. I hope with his recruiting classes he has had they prove to be successful.

These younger guys are so talented, but on defense we are in the wrong system, offense is just a mess because we didn’t recruit O Line until last year and the transfer portal didn’t work.

So many coaching problems that don’t help with the development of recruits. Like Novil was doubled the entire game because we run a 3-3-5

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

These younger guys are so talented, but on defense we are in the wrong system, offense is just a mess because we didn’t recruit O Line until last year and the transfer portal didn’t work.

So many coaching problems that don’t help with the development of recruits. Like Novil was doubled the entire game because we run a 3-3-5

I don’t understand why we run a 3-3-5. Texas State had 4 down lineman on against SMU and was able to generate pressure while also stopping the run. They also had a converted FB at DT and missing other defensive starters as well. Tired of this crap. 

• Upvote 7

Listening to another game one of the announcers when asked about the 3-3-5 basically said it was a "prevent" defense and you will give up a lot of yards but the goal is to prevent the big plays and be able to lock down in the red zone. Well, were giving up the yards, and the big plays.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, MeanGreen2019 said:

I don’t understand why we run a 3-3-5. Texas State had 4 down lineman on against SMU and was able to generate pressure while also stopping the run. They also had a converted FB at DT and missing other defensive starters as well. Tired of this crap. 

6 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Listening to another game one of the announcers when asked about the 3-3-5 basically said it was a "prevent" defense and you will give up a lot of yards but the goal is to prevent the big plays and be able to lock down in the red zone. Well, were giving up the yards, and the big plays.

Texas state runs a 3-3-5 also

If we do get rid of SL, we need to get a defensive minded coach. IMO the most successful coaches in football have always come from the defensive side of the ball. Really outside of Lombardi and Bill Walsh, offensive coaches usually only win you one championship and then it's back to the bottom. The guys that have been consistent winners at all levels cut their teeth coaching on the defensive side of the ball. I am thinking Belichick, Noll, Shula, Landry, Parcells, Saban, just to name a few. If we can find a good young defensive minded coach who wants to win, he will be able to find a good OC to run the offense. We need to stay away from retreads who are looking to retire with one last good salary. I am just a strong believer in Defense first. For my money, I am going to always look for guys who believe in defense first. It doesn't do you any good to score tons of points if you can't stop the other team from scoring.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Venson said:

We did try that with him, but if you read the rest of my post, I said no retreads. Dan was a retread looking to pad his retirement. That's why I said go young.

Then who? Please name a specific coach. Then please explain how we will be able to stay competitive with a defensive minded coach in an offensive league for the 1 to 2 year recruiting lag.

10 minutes ago, peanuts104 said:

Then who? Please name a specific coach. Then please explain how we will be able to stay competitive with a defensive minded coach in an offensive league for the 1 to 2 year recruiting lag.

I don't know who. I never said get rid of SL. I said if we do get rid of SL. All I am saying is that if they make the decision to move on then we need to go for a defensive minded coach. The league can be offensive all it wants, but defense still wins championships. Look at the Big XII. They have all these offensive minded coaches that score a lot of points, but as soon as they run into teams that actually play defense, they struggle. Every year Oklahoma proves that. They win in conference because everyone is offensive minded. Once they play an SEC team that believes in defense, they struggle. History has shown in this game that teams with great defenses usually always win.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, drex said:

Just get us a coach whose heart is here..

His resume as of recent all but ensures he is ours until we dont want him.  If I was him, my heart would be 100% here, bc I doubt many others are calling right now to bring him to lead a bigger program if he apparently isnt the best recruiter and cant win big games.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, MrStrange18 said:

His resume as of recent all but ensures he is ours until we don't want him.  If I was him, my heart would be 100% here, bc I doubt many others are calling right now to bring him to lead a bigger program if he apparently isn't the best recruiter and cant win big games.

Next year is his big year--he either earns an extension here based off 2021, he has a great season and somebody hires him away (extremely doubtful), or he gets fired. I'd say he needs to win 7 games next year in the regular season and not get crushed in a bowl game to get an extension. Anything less and he will get bought out, since he would only have two years left on his contract at that point and the negative recruiting would really pick up against him.

• Upvote 1