Thoughts On Moving To A 4-3

BillySee58

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

I’m tired of seeing our d-linemen getting doubled into our LBs laps, then seeing that 5th DB come in to make the tackle after 10+ yard gains. I know it’s a passing league, I know it’s easier to get good DB recruits than D-Line recruits as a G5 school, but the 3-3-5 hasn’t worked and it feels like our players are constantly in positions where they are on their heels and in 3rd and shorts, if they even get to 3rd down.

Maybe even a 4-2-5 might make more sense if teams’ bases are 11 personnel. We have recruited well the last couple of years defensively, so I refuse to believe we don’t have players on our roster who we can put together a semblance of a competent defense with. Littrell shouldn’t be afforded the luxury of burning through D Coordinators. He needs to worry about getting it right with this one first, and try whatever it takes to get it right instead of just saying he’s an offensive coach and needs a new D coordinator.

Never understood why we even ran it! What’s the point of letting the opposing team get an automatic 5 yards, and then getting burned in the run because we only have 5 to 6 anywhere near the line of scrimmage.

3-3-5 is hard to master, and clearly it doesn’t work here. When will we see a change!

Bowen mostly ran a 4 man front at Kansas, so this is more of a personnel issue than what he would prefer to do.  Judging by our 3 DT commits for 2021 it looks like we are trying to add a lot of depth to that area of our team.  Defensive lineman, especially DT rotate more than any other position on the team and looking at the roster we basically have 3 guys that can play DT and one of those is a true freshman, so there's just no way we have the depth to run a 4-3 at this point in time.  We need to add a juco DT to our class this year, hope Novil is willing to come back next year and then maybe next year we can finally get out of the 3-3-5.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Monkeypox said:

You can run any defense you want, but if you can’t tackle...

Sure. I’d have to re-watch the game, but so often it felt like our missed tackles were LBs in the hole fighting off a block and trying to make a tackle because our d-linemen couldn’t keep the o-line off our LBs, a safety coming from across the field, or a DB sitting in a hole while the RB had a full head of steam.

We did an awful job tackling last night, but we need to figure out how much of that was poor technique and how much was our guys being put in tough situations.

7 hours ago, GreenGang45 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/college-football/2019/2/5/18205641/tite-front-defenses-explained For the people who don’t know football. Over half of college football run some type of 3 down front. It’s not the scheme. Players > scheme 

It hasn’t worked here. It’s hard to find d-linemen at the G5 level who can consistently take on double teams and prevent o-linemen from combo blocking up to the LBs. We have one in Novil but that’s it and even for him it doesn’t seem like that’s the best situation for him. Maybe he’d be better off at his playing weight from last year because he doesn’t seem to be coming off the ball like he needs to if he wants to be drafted.

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

It hasn’t worked here. It’s hard to find d-linemen at the G5 level who can consistently take on double teams and prevent o-linemen from combo blocking up to the LBs. We have one in Novil but that’s it and even for him it doesn’t seem like that’s the best situation for him. Maybe he’d be better off at his playing weight from last year because he doesn’t seem to be coming off the ball like he needs to if he wants to be drafted.

I like the idea of using the 4-3 as your base, and keeping a small 3-3-5 package in your back pocket that you can implement in case our program happens upon a special nose tackle that can handle it.

On 9/20/2020 at 2:59 AM, peanuts104 said:

We don't have enough personnel to play 4-3. Our linebacking group is depleted. It doesn't really matter what we run. Hell, we should just run 3-4 D-line and put safeties and corners in at this point.

Please explain.  A 3-3-5 uses three LB's as does the 4-3 so a depleted LB group wouldn't be effected.  Confusing me more is stating the LB group is depleted and then mentioning we should change to a 3-4 that uses one more LB?

Confused Joe Dirt GIF - Confused JoeDirt DavidSpade - Discover & Share GIFs

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2020 at 11:06 PM, BillySee58 said:

I’m tired of seeing our d-linemen getting doubled into our LBs laps, then seeing that 5th DB come in to make the tackle after 10+ yard gains. I know it’s a passing league, I know it’s easier to get good DB recruits than D-Line recruits as a G5 school, but the 3-3-5 hasn’t worked and it feels like our players are constantly in positions where they are on their heels and in 3rd and shorts, if they even get to 3rd down.

Maybe even a 4-2-5 might make more sense if teams’ bases are 11 personnel. We have recruited well the last couple of years defensively, so I refuse to believe we don’t have players on our roster who we can put together a semblance of a competent defense with. Littrell shouldn’t be afforded the luxury of burning through D Coordinators. He needs to worry about getting it right with this one first, and try whatever it takes to get it right instead of just saying he’s an offensive coach and needs a new D coordinator.

More of the same frustration tonight. And we had our d-linemen tonight, but we’re asking so much from them. 

On 9/20/2020 at 12:35 AM, GreenGang45 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/college-football/2019/2/5/18205641/tite-front-defenses-explained For the people who don’t know football. Over half of college football run some type of 3 down front. It’s not the scheme. Players > scheme 

For the people who don’t know football...when you don’t have the players, you adjust the scheme.

So I watched most of Tulsa/UCF game yesterday and noticed the Canes rushed only 3 defensive linemen very effectively. However, they had a tank in the middle who was double and triple teamed  all night leaving the defensive tackles basically one on one which worked well. Reminds me of when we had Booger. Unfortunately we have neither him or a tank in the middle.

• Downvote 2