Season's Over

greenb.o.g.

2 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Ok—but our recruiting has gotten a lot better under Littrell. A lot.

The problem with SL isn’t talent. It’s game plan and having absolutely no care about the defensive side of the ball that will never have him win much more than he has.

SL is basically the 180 degree opposite of Dan McCarney, who couldn’t recruit and couldn’t run an offense for this century.

I suspect that SL will get fired after next season and we will then replace him with someone who runs the triple option...it’s what we do here.

SMU's lines looked much bigger to me. Without good lines its hard to do well. Did we ever get pressure on SMU's QB? 

21 minutes ago, All About UNT said:

Checking the dates just now of when each of you joined GMG.  2004 vs. 2017... I'd say he has a right to be pissed at tonight's performance and seemingly endless lack of turning the corner.  Tonight was a TD (that's Todd Dodge to the newer fan) performance only difference is that he made around 250k a year and don't even ask what his assistants made.

Yeah, I can't believe how disgusted I was that Todd Dodge walked away from this place with over a million dollars of UNT money. 

I mean, it WAS a disgusting robbery, but... Look how far we've come! Dodge didn't even have a plane! 

50 minutes ago, KingDL1 said:

SMU's lines looked much bigger to me. Without good lines its hard to do well. Did we ever get pressure on SMU's QB? 

They have rotations with guys that are good, while we have no depth and really young guys that don’t have experience.

One day we are gonna have to hit the transfer portal hard like SMU and so many others, or we will be the same for years.

Also, UH looked like an SEC team last year so I wouldn’t be surprised if their rotations this year are even better 

57 minutes ago, All About UNT said:

Checking the dates just now of when each of you joined GMG.  2004 vs. 2017... I'd say he has a right to be pissed at tonight's performance and seemingly endless lack of turning the corner.  Tonight was a TD (that's Todd Dodge to the newer fan) performance only difference is that he made around 250k a year and don't even ask what his assistants made.

Comparing coaching salaries from the late 2000s to the late 2010s is completely and utterly disingenuous.  And just because I joined 3 years ago doesn't mean I haven't been following UNT football to some degree or another for almost 15 years (which I know is still chump change to many of the veterans on this board).  We're in the middle of a pandemic, we lost 2/3 of the guys in the middle of our field and then we lost our strong safety on the first defensive play of the game. The defensive display was horrible tonight but I don't know what you were expecting with a new DC, a transitioning defensive system, no spring ball, and limited fall practice. The defense was always going to be a nightmare, even without considering losing our two best linebackers and our starting strong safety.  The only thing that really surprised me about the game is that we came out flat on offense for the first half and Tre Siggers didn't get any touches. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, greenb.o.g. said:

Allow me a moment to be clear about why I say the season's over. I've been around since 1998, my freshman year at UNT. So I've been through plenty of shitty seasons at Fouts Field. Personally, I think anybody who has made it as long as I have should receive at least a participation trophy for putting up with so much crappy football over the years. 

But that's just the point. The Mean Green doesn't play in Fouts Field anymore. And they've been in Apogee Stadium for almost a decade. The athletic department has more resources than it has ever had in the history of the school. And yet, this team still looks like it belongs in the Southland Conference. You will never convince me that SMU is that much better than North Texas. That's ridiculous!

I can understand North Texas getting their ass kicked by Texas or LSU (I've seen plenty of that). But being completely uncompetitive against the likes of SMU, or any G5 school for that matter, is not only a complete disgrace but IT SHOULD NOT BE TOLERATED!!

The season is over because even if North Texas somehow miraculously pulled out a conference championship and a bowl victory it wouldn't change shit!!! You know why? Because people would still say the same shit they've always said. They can win in their little conference, but when it comes to playing real teams they suck.

In order for this program to progress, they have to win out of conference games! Until that happens on a consistent basis it's still going to be the same 'ol shit. And I'm tired of investing time and money, and more importantly, my emotions into a team that does one thing consistently well: let's me down.

The season's over. But I'll be back next year and the year after that because apparently I'm a masochist.

season 2 marlon GIF by NBC

• Haha 2

Just saying I think you guys massively overrate Skladany's defense and forget the fact that we had really good players (including a future All Pro MLB) on defense for the first time since 2004.

We played a boatload of really green guys yesterday, a bunch from the 2018 class. Maybe we'll figure out who our QB is, maybe some young guys will grow up and shine over the course of this season that's what I'm looking towards because we are not winning 5 of the 9 remaining games.

Edited by ntmeangreen11
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

12 hours ago, greenb.o.g. said:

Allow me a moment to be clear about why I say the season's over. I've been around since 1998, my freshman year at UNT. So I've been through plenty of shitty seasons at Fouts Field. Personally, I think anybody who has made it as long as I have should receive at least a participation trophy for putting up with so much crappy football over the years. 

But that's just the point. The Mean Green doesn't play in Fouts Field anymore. And they've been in Apogee Stadium for almost a decade. The athletic department has more resources than it has ever had in the history of the school. And yet, this team still looks like it belongs in the Southland Conference. You will never convince me that SMU is that much better than North Texas. That's ridiculous!

I can understand North Texas getting their ass kicked by Texas or LSU (I've seen plenty of that). But being completely uncompetitive against the likes of SMU, or any G5 school for that matter, is not only a complete disgrace but IT SHOULD NOT BE TOLERATED!!

The season is over because even if North Texas somehow miraculously pulled out a conference championship and a bowl victory it wouldn't change shit!!! You know why? Because people would still say the same shit they've always said. They can win in their little conference, but when it comes to playing real teams they suck.

In order for this program to progress, they have to win out of conference games! Until that happens on a consistent basis it's still going to be the same 'ol shit. And I'm tired of investing time and money, and more importantly, my emotions into a team that does one thing consistently well: let's me down.

The season's over. But I'll be back next year and the year after that because apparently I'm a masochist.

Man, I get it. I’ve been following since 1990. I’ve seen Nevada beat us very badly in the 90s, I have seen us get mud holes by Tulsa at home at Fouts so bad, I thought our program should just stop playing (54-2). We went to freaking SWC dreg, Rice in 2008 and watch their coach basically show complete mercy to our team because they were winning 77-20 in the 3rd quarter. And, I won’t even mention Portland State. Now, SMU clubs us by 5 TDs at home.

You either follow this place because you love them as your own or you just walkway like the other 98% do, finding some P5 program to adopt. It’s been the MO here for many decades...

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Philip Ferguson said:

season 2 marlon GIF by NBC

6 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Man, I get it. I’ve been following since 1990. I’ve seen Nevada beat us very badly in the 90s, I have seen us get mud holes by Tulsa at home at Fouts so bad, I thought our program should just stop playing (54-2). We went to freaking SWC dreg, Rice in 2008 and watch their coach basically show complete mercy to our team because they were winning 77-20 in the 3rd quarter. And, I won’t even mention Portland State. Now, SMU clubs us by 5 TDs at home.

You either follow this place because you love them as your own or you just walkway like the other 98% do, finding some P5 program to adopt. It’s been the MO here for many decades...

i-am-a-masochist-and-im-proud.jpg

• Haha 1