Who will help in buying out Seth Littrell’s contract?

6 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

So you're making an excuse that even if we win out in CUSA it doesn't matter. On point for the "let's hate the staff" standpoint.

I never said that in my post—like at all. If SL wins CUSA West, he will almost certainly get an extension here, whether we want that to happen or not.

i don’t hate SL or anyone. I just recognize what he is—a Leach disciple that has no interest in defense. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

26 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

I never said that in my post—like at all. If SL wins CUSA West, he will almost certainly get an extension here, whether we want that to happen or not.

i don’t hate SL or anyone. I just recognize what he is—a Leach disciple that has no interest in defense. 

I think if the Mean Green win the West, it will be because we went 8-0 (or 7-1 with a win VS LATech), in conference play, and that would make everyone forget about this awful loss & pat Littrell on the back again, myself included. 
It would mean an incredible turnaround, and greatly improved play, which would be fine with me.

It would take a miracle for that scenario to unfold though.

• Upvote 3

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

I think if the Mean Green win the West, it will be because we went 8-0 (or 7-1 with a win VS LATech), in conference play, and that would make everyone forget about this awful loss & pat Littrell on the back again, myself included. 
It would mean an incredible turnaround, and greatly improved play, which would be fine with me.

Agreed

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

Considering we have a defense that can't even tackle properly, an offensive line that can't block, and a very inconsistent QB play, I doubt we even win 3 games. Sure smu is good, but teams like UAB will eat us for breakfast lunch and dinner

• Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

No, I think winning the west would just reinforce the overall perception that C-USA is the worst conference in the FBS. And in my opinion, C-USA West is the worst of the two divisions, which makes it an even easier accomplishment. But, like you stated, it would take a miracle. Even so, should we happen to win the remaining games on our schedule and finish the regular season with an 10-1 record, I will still want Littrell gone.  To keep him would be to accept an annual butt kicking from SMU for the remainder of this series. That just isn't okay with me.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 5

4 hours ago, Side Show Joe said:

...Even so, should we happen to win the remaining games on our schedule and finish the regular season with an 10-1 record, I will still want Littrell gone.  To keep him would be to accept an annual butt kicking from SMU for the remainder of this series. That just isn't okay with me.

I really feel like I should think this post is asinine, but a little bit of me agrees.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Side Show Joe said:

No, I think winning the west would just reinforce the overall perception that C-USA is the worst conference in the FBS. And in my opinion, C-USA West is the worst of the two divisions, which makes it an even easier accomplishment. But, like you stated, it would take a miracle. Even so, should we happen to win the remaining games on our schedule and finish the regular season with an 10-1 record, I will still want Littrell gone.  To keep him would be to accept an annual butt kicking from SMU for the remainder of this series. That just isn't okay with me.

Replaced with whom? 

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, tmjerm said:

Replaced with whom? 

I haven't done any research, but just off the top of my head... Skip Holtz would be much better than Littrell. Holtz has led LA Tech to 6 straight bowl wins, including two against P5 programs (Miami & Illinois) and a 51-10 win over SMU in the Frisco Bowl (SMU beat North Texas by a score of 54-32 that season). I know Skip just signed a new deal with LA Tech, but even his new deal is worth a million dollars less than what we are wasting on LIttrell. Also, Holtz owns Littrell. Over the course of his time at UNT, Littrell has complied a 1-3 record against Skip's LA Tech teams. And to top it off, Holtz has dome all this with one of the worst budgets in the FBS. I wonder what Skip could do with our resources.

If I have time I will look in to finding other qualified candidates. Here is a link to the story on the new Holtz contract....

https://www.thenewsstar.com/story/sports/college/louisiana-tech/2020/09/03/louisiana-tech-skip-holtz-agree-new-five-year-contract/5679374002/

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, Side Show Joe said:

I haven't done any research, but just off the top of my head... Skip Holtz would be much better than Littrell. Holtz has led LA Tech to 6 straight bowl wins, including two against P5 programs (Miami & Illinois) and a 51-10 win over SMU in the Frisco Bowl (SMU beat North Texas by a score of 54-32 that season). I know Skip just signed a new deal with LA Tech, but even his new deal is worth a million dollars less than what we are wasting on LIttrell. Also, Holtz owns Littrell. Over the course of his time at UNT, Littrell has complied a 1-3 record against Skip's LA Tech teams. And to top it off, Holtz has dome all this with one of the worst budgets in the FBS. I wonder what Skip could do with our resources.

If I have time I will look in to finding other qualified candidates. Here is a link to the story on the new Holtz contract....

https://www.thenewsstar.com/story/sports/college/louisiana-tech/2020/09/03/louisiana-tech-skip-holtz-agree-new-five-year-contract/5679374002/

Ok, I’d be fine with that.  I honestly think he’d take the freedom of Ruston over the uptightness of NT politics but I would love to be wrong.  He’s done great there.  I do personally still have patience for Seth, especially in this year.  But I’d absolutely take Skip. 

• Upvote 1

I had to log in and post a reply to Side Show on this. I love your enthusiasm for UNT Side Show but there's no way in hell Coach Holtz is leaving Tech for UNT. Like untjim1995 stated he has enough money. Legacy is what matters at this point to Coach Holtz. He can continue to build upon his HOF coaching career at Tech. There's no way Coach Holtz leaves Tech for any G5 school and I doubt he would settle for just any P5 school at this point in his career too.

The only way Coach Holtz leaves Tech for another G5 school is if something happened to sour the relationship he currently has with the administration at Tech.

Tech is currently looking for a new Athletic Director at this moment so hopefully the school makes a good hire. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Manlaw35 said:

I had to log in and post a reply to Side Show on this. I love your enthusiasm for UNT Side Show but there's no way in hell Coach Holtz is leaving Tech for UNT. Like untjim1995 stated he has enough money. Legacy is what matters at this point to Coach Holtz. He can continue to build upon his HOF coaching career at Tech. There's no way Coach Holtz leaves Tech for any G5 school and I doubt he would settle for just any P5 school at this point in his career too.

The only way Coach Holtz leaves Tech for another G5 school is if something happened to sour the relationship he currently has with the administration at Tech.

Tech is currently looking for a new Athletic Director at this moment so hopefully the school makes a good hire. 

Oh, I think he’d leave there for an AAC job that paid well—SMU is probably his next landing spot when Dykes gets hired away by Tech to come home.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, vpackrats said:

Does anyone chuckle at people with unrealistic expectations?  "Hey, great job North Texas!  You went 10-1 ... but you had a bad game against SMU.  Littrell ... you're fired.  Let's get an all new-coaching staff in here and rebuild this thing in 3 to 4 years with their new philosophy".  

So it sounds like you'll only be happy if we go undefeated every year?  Pretty tough bar to clear.  My advice would be to buy a lot of TUMS because we're not going 10-1.  In a related note, I'm assuming you picked UNT to go 11-0 in Brett Vito's "get your rear on the record" contest or whatever he calls it?

Lol last year was brutal for Brett's game... many people including I think Mason Fine's Granddad picked us to go 11-1 and 12-0 lol

Edited by NorthTexasSportsNetwork
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, vpackrats said:

Does anyone chuckle at people with unrealistic expectations?  "Hey, great job North Texas!  You went 10-1 ... but you had a bad game against SMU.  Littrell ... you're fired.  Let's get an all new-coaching staff in here and rebuild this thing in 3 to 4 years with their new philosophy".  

So it sounds like you'll only be happy if we go undefeated every year?  Pretty tough bar to clear.  My advice would be to buy a lot of TUMS because we're not going 10-1.  In a related note, I'm assuming you picked UNT to go 11-0 in Brett Vito's "get your rear on the record" contest or whatever he calls it?

We all know this team won't go undefeated in conference play, regardless of how many games we actually get to play. The point of my post, which you either missed or chose to misrepresent, is that C-USA is terrible, especially C-USA West. So, by all accounts we should win some of those games. But, even so, it will not mean our program has progressed, although some on here will use those wins to justify our current direction in year 5 of the Littrell era. I believe anyone that drinks that green Kool-Aid is setting themselves up for more disappointment.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

11 hours ago, Side Show Joe said:

We all know this team won't go undefeated in conference play, regardless of how many games we actually get to play. The point of my post, which you either missed or chose to misrepresent, is that C-USA is terrible, especially C-USA West. So, by all accounts we should win some of those games. But, even so, it will not mean our program has progressed, although some on here will use those wins to justify our current direction in year 5 of the Littrell era. I believe anyone that drinks that green Kool-Aid is setting themselves up for more disappointment.

I said something on Facebook that Seth hasn’t really accomplished that many feats (0 bowl wins, 0 championships etc) and I had people writing long paragraphs on why Seth is the savior of UNT and should be praised for the recruiting and attendance 🤣

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3

On 9/24/2020 at 8:49 AM, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

I said something on Facebook that Seth hasn’t really accomplished that many feats (0 bowl wins, 0 championships etc) and I had people writing long paragraphs on why Seth is the savior of UNT and should be praised for the recruiting and attendance 🤣

I guess some people have just conditioned themselves to ignore facts. In fairness, Littrell has improved his recruitment of linemen over the last two classes (All but one of the OL and DL recruits from the 20 & 21 classes outrank the linemen recruited in the 18 & 19 classes). Unfortunately, he didn't effectively use the transfer portal to fill holes until these younger linemen are ready to produce. All we can do is shine a light on the truth and roll with the punches.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 4

On 9/24/2020 at 8:49 AM, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

The sad reality is that Seth is two games over .500 for his career and that is still the best record of any coach we have had since Hayden Fry left for Iowa.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 3
  • Sad 1

Pre-SMU game last week I was as guilty as anyone of drinking the green Kool-ade. Some of you knew exactly what the situation would be with so many unproven players wearing green.  

Yet I had our 2018 MG team at Apogee last week with a mixture of the 2014 HOD Bowl-winning defense, too.  Problem was that SMU had most of its “Top 25” 2019 team back along with the UT transfer QB who was “only” this last Summer’s Dave Campbell’s Texas Football coverboy.
I had a Texas Tech alum tell me  post-loss: “Hey, SMU has a good football team this year as they did last year.“  
So it was back to earth time for many of us dreamers.  That’s OK. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1