Who will help in buying out Seth Littrell’s contract?

It will be a big waste of money to get rid of Seth just for some other coach to come in here and get their ass handed to them by SMU and Houston and have everyone yelling to fire them, too. After about 25 years, I was thankfully able to reconcile the fact that this is what we are and while it still pisses me off when I pay it too much mind, I’m nowhere near as angry after games like this anymore. I have no reason to expect different from this program. It’s a dog that’s bit me in the ass every time I went in the yard. I can’t keep walking in the gate and saying “this time, for sure...”. 

We are a bottom barrel Texas football school. Whenever people talk about how much more money and better facilities and stuff we have than we used to, they act like that’s not simply the price of admission to college football. Like UNT’s levels of support or expenditure in any way entitle them to something greater.  What we have is the BARE MINIMUM. The time to rise in the college football landscape was 2000-2010, and we failed, often spectacularly, to make any real progress in that area. 

No matter what coach is here, we don’t ever beat good teams, we don’t regularly beat bad teams, and we only put players in the NFL as late-round picks and UDFA. 

People can do what they want with their money, their time, and their energy. I just don’t know why anybody would think a new hire will change anything. 

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 6

We recruited like crap Littrell's first 3 years here and it's finally caught up to us, he got lucky by finding a diamond in the rough in Mason Fine, but recruiting and results are tied together time and time again.  We've put together back to back impressive classes, but we can't expect true freshman and sophomores to lead a team.  We've known all along this season would be a tough transition year, so let's see how conference play goes when we are playing teams the same caliber as we are, bring in another good class and go from there.

Most on here predicted at least 5-7 losses this season but act like this when those losses happen, if you were going to over react when we lose why wasn't anyone predicting we would go 11-1 or 10-2?

Edited by UNT18Grad
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

6 hours ago, Side Show Joe said:

I like Littrell and I wanted him to be successful here at UNT. But, I love North Texas and our administration must always do what is in the best interest of our program. No coach, player, or administrator is bigger than the program, and everyone must be held accountable. June Jones didn't get to stay after getting bent over 43-6 in Denton back in 2014. If our administration is willing to accept total failure while SMU won't, than we will continue to get punked every time we take the field against SMU.

disgusted what the GIF

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2

5 hours ago, UNT18Grad said:

We recruited like crap Littrell's first 3 years here and it's finally caught up to us, he got lucky by finding a diamond in the rough in Mason Fine, but recruiting and results are tied together time and time again.  We've put together back to back impressive classes, but we can't expect true freshman and sophomores to lead a team.  We've known all along this season would be a tough transition year, so let's see how conference play goes when we are playing teams the same caliber as we are, bring in another good class and go from there.

Most on here predicted at least 5-7 losses this season but act like this when those losses happen, if you were going to over react when we lose why wasn't anyone predicting we would go 11-1 or 10-2?

You are confusing two separate issues. Most on here knew we were probably going to lose last night. I was always the likely outcome. That isn't what people are losing their minds over. The fundamental issue is that after five seasons under Littrell, our team looked completely incompetent when the game was actually still a game. Sure we rang up 21 garbage points in the second half against SMU's backups and third stringers, but none of that matters when accessing where this program is and where it should be in year 5 under Littrell. If Dykes wanted to, he could have left his starters in much longer and beaten us much worse. I guess it is a good thing Littrell and Dykes are friends.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Aquila_Viridis said:

Nah. It's just time for North Texas to stop having sports. Actually that time started a long time ago.

But, hey, we have so many other options here in DFW...and our music and arts kick ass!! So, as long as people will give to the school and the students keep paying the fee, we will just ISD this thing and keep offering sports...

• Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1

8 hours ago, Side Show Joe said:

Can Wren afford to let season ticket holders and walk up fans go? A choice will have to be made. I know for a fact, there are fans that have lost their faith in Littrell and will not be coming back until Littrell is gone and UNT proves they are serious about winning. Sure the Covid capacity restrictions will mask it for the rest of this season, but once things go back to normal, it will be very obvious that Littrell has lost a significant portion of this fan base, and the athletic department will have lost some revenue from ticket sales, merch sales, and donations.

Yes, he can afford it...he has a job as long as he wants it. He’s light years better than his predecessor and that guy only got about 15 years to prove (over and over) that he couldn’t help build a winner in anything.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Side Show Joe said:

You are confusing two separate issues. Most on here knew we were probably going to lose last night. I was always the likely outcome. That isn't what people are losing their minds over. The fundamental issue is that after five seasons under Littrell, our team looked completely incompetent when the game was actually still a game. Sure we rang up 21 garbage points in the second half against SMU's backups and third stringers, but none of that matters when accessing where this program is and where it should be in year 5 under Littrell. If Dykes wanted to, he could have left his starters in much longer and beaten us much worse. I guess it is a good thing Littrell and Dykes are friends.

Yep exactly! So many mental mistakes that shouldn’t be made, and just terrible coaching preparation. That’s why I am angry. If we lost by 41-20, I wouldn’t be that mad because it was gonna happen, but 65-35 is insane

• Upvote 1

Apparently I am in the minority of fans, in that I believe a season is made up of more than 2 games. 

NT is a very bad team at this point particularly on the defensive side. Conversely SMU is a very good program at this time and probably will be the best team that NT plays this year. 

Few were predicting that NT would win over one oc game.  The problem is that NT was totally non=competitive against SMU.  NT losing their top two defensive players certainly didn't help.   No, NT would not have won if they played, but it wouldn't have been such a lopsided loss.  

The greatest upset in NT history was in 1975 when NT beat Tennessee.  This was after a 61-7 loss to OKlahoma State a few games before.  

So this season is not close to being over.  I still believe that NT will be very competitive in conference.  

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

58 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

So this season is not close to being over.  I still believe that NT will be very competitive in conference.  

Sadly this is accurate only because our conference is an absolute wreck too. We expect to be competitive with the dregs of CFB. That just makes it all the more obvious we need fixin'.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Apparently I am in the minority of fans, in that I believe a season is made up of more than 2 games. 

NT is a very bad team at this point particularly on the defensive side. Conversely SMU is a very good program at this time and probably will be the best team that NT plays this year. 

Few were predicting that NT would win over one oc game.  The problem is that NT was totally non=competitive against SMU.  NT losing their top two defensive players certainly didn't help.   No, NT would not have won if they played, but it wouldn't have been such a lopsided loss.  

The greatest upset in NT history was in 1975 when NT beat Tennessee.  This was after a 61-7 loss to OKlahoma State a few games before.  

Very competitive constitutes competing for the division. So miss, UAB and LaTech and maybe even UTSA and Rice will not allow that to happen. Our saving grace... UTEP. At least we're not UTEP. After watching yesterday though, I'm not so sure we aren't UTEP. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

55 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Very competitive constitutes competing for the division. So miss, UAB and LaTech and maybe even UTSA and Rice will not allow that to happen. Our saving grace... UTEP. At least we're not UTEP. After watching yesterday though, I'm not so sure we aren't UTEP. 

Yes, completing for the title.  I do know what that means. 

59 minutes ago, Udomann said:

Sadly this is accurate only because our conference is an absolute wreck too. We expect to be competitive with the dregs of CFB. That just makes it all the more obvious we need fixin'.

Yes, NT must improve to even be competitive in CUSA.  I think they will, most who post here seem to believe the season is over. 

Who do you think NT should be competitive with, if not the conference?

On 9/20/2020 at 3:27 PM, TheColonyEagle said:

This program like it's head coach is all superficial....nothing genuine.

Shiny buildings, fancy stadium, $2million head coach, private jets.....all superficial

But nothing to show for it....

I wish our program had half the heart of a La Tech

I totally agree. And, I wish our leadership had half of their brains too. Sadly, for all our university has done to build our football program, we still have fans around here that will make excuses and continue to accept failure. Southern Miss got rid of their problem. I guess that is why they have a history of being a winning program, and we don't. Like USM, LA Tech practically uses food stamps to fund their athletics, but has owned Littrell over the last 4 seasons.

LT will beat our brains in again this season too. After the loss Littrell will talk about needing to get another day better, how they will have to look at tape, and how great our culture is. Then the same apologists will be back on the board making the same excuses for his failure.

* Ha! Some apologist gave this post an "eye roll".... I don't care about the rep, but I would love to know what part of the post merited the eye roll in your opinion? Do you really think Littrell has done a better job than LA Tech, or is more deserving of keeping his job than Hopson was? Really, I'd love to read your argument, but I bet you can't produce a convincing or logical defense. Sad.

***** Now up to 5 eye rolls but no counter arguments yet. Well, at least I'm getting a head count of those that are content with the current product. I really would love to read the logic behind continuing to settle for a North Texas program that only wins against bad teams. I guess we can ask Wren to only schedule programs with a history of finishing below .500.

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 8

7 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Yes, he can afford it...he has a job as long as he wants it. He’s light years better than his predecessor and that guy only got about 15 years to prove (over and over) that he couldn’t help build a winner in anything.

Of course Wren is better than Rick, but Wren now has bigger expectations to live up to also. Wren has talked people into sinking a ton more money into our athletics than Rick ever did. Now Wren has to grow revenue from our fan base, and results like these aren't going to help him do that. And, a fractured fan base that is tightening up their wallets isn't going to help Wren land a bigger AD position.

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 1

I would literally give money (actual cash, go to the bank and give it to SL in hand) to not quit. You morons lack any concept of history with Todd Dodge, Dan McCarney, etc. I want us to win but holy **** he's kept us competitive in our division which is a ****ing miracle considering our football history.  If you want Bill Belichick, expect to pay out much more.

• Upvote 9
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 5

8 minutes ago, peanuts104 said:

I would literally give money (actual cash, go to the bank and give it to SL in hand) to not quit. You morons lack any concept of history with Todd Dodge, Dan McCarney, etc. I want us to win but holy **** he's kept us competitive in our division which is a ****ing miracle considering our football history.  If you want Bill Belichick, expect to pay out much more.

Our division is EASILY the worst FBS division in college football.  Staying competitive with this bunch is the lowest bar you could have. SL’s been good here  BECAUSE of this division. 

UTEP, us, UTSA, and Rice are 4 of the worst teams FBS offers, easily in the bottom dozen. La Tech and UAB own this thing because they actually have physical lines and defenses that maul the Texas schools something fierce. 

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

30 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Our division is EASILY the worst FBS division in college football.  Staying competitive with this bunch is the lowest bar you could have. SL’s been good here  BECAUSE of this division. 

UTEP, us, UTSA, and Rice are 4 of the worst teams FBS offers, easily in the bottom dozen. La Tech and UAB own this thing because they actually have physical lines and defenses that maul the Texas schools something fierce. 

So you're making an excuse that even if we win out in CUSA it doesn't matter. On point for the "let's hate the staff" standpoint.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1