SMU / North Texas 1990: The FIGHT

Harry

12 hours ago, Dentonborn79 said:

First game I remember attending.i was ten ,my father who is resting in peace took me.never went to UNT but repping from this day 

That's good parenting.

My dad tried to make his three kids Longhorns fans.

That's bad parenting.

We all went to UNT and root for the Mean Green.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

Hmmm(2) so Matt Simon waived some magical college coaching wand over the players that Parker recruited and then magically turned them into REAL college players under Simon? 

Also, Parker had 11 wins in three years. Two of those wins (in 92-93) were against this coach who was the head coach of Texas state in 92-93......

He had 9 other wins. I wonder if those head coaches that he defeated had any college coaching experience.

Also (2), Odus Mitchell was coaching Marshall High School in 1946 when he was recruited to coach a North Texas program that had not played football since 1942. By 1950, he had a record of 31-13-1 and two bowl trips.......one of which he won.

Matt Simon was a bad guy--a guy who was flawed, paranoid, and hypocritical...but he was a pretty good coach. He knew how to hire college coaches and knew how to coach college players. Unlike...

Dennis Parker went 11-21-1. # wins were over D-2 Abilene Christian. But he also lost 4 games against FBS teams, so that means he went 8-17-1 against FCS teams. We finished 6th, 5th, and 5th, in SLC play back then. Not one time did we beat a team that we finished ahead of us in conference during any season he was here.

And the icing on the cake was the Northwestern State game in 1992, Homecoming. We were in a dogfight and were driving, late in the game, under a minute to go, down by a FG. As we were inside the 10-yard line, with about 30 seconds to go, he ordered Mitch Maher to down the football...on 3rd down. So now, we have to decide--go for a TD to win the game or choose to kick a FG for a tie, since there was no OT back then. Everyone wants him to go for it...he decides to kick a FG, so we make it with about 20 seconds or so and we tie the game. Ok, fine, tie game on Homecoming, not the worst thing ever, nothing bad. Except...

Parker calls for an onsides kick that we kicked from our 35 yard line. Guess what? NW State recovers the ball on the UNT 40, then throws a pass down the middle of the field, which quickly gets a timeout, allowing them to kick the winning FG on the last play of the game. 

It was at that very moment that I knew he was never gonna coach here beyond when his contract was expired.

• Upvote 1