• Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com!

Thank you for visiting us!  Registering is easy and free, and provides you with the ability to participate in the discussions along with many cool features and content.

SMU / North Texas 1990: The FIGHT

• Harry featured this topic

After the “empty the benches brawl” I believe that was FFR in the background twirling & running with the UNT battle flag which begs the question:  
• Was North Texas the very first school in the Lone Star State with the Texas flag in our school colors?   In fact, was that inspired by the Paramount movie they shot on campus when FFR played the Armadillo mascot, too?

.....................BEAT SMU!....................
🤢 ➡️ D-E-F-E-N-S-E—-step up your game!  

• Upvote 2

The SMU Coach, one Forrest Gregg was the man on the Fouts Field sideline that evening for the ‘Stangs.  I think many of us remember him when he played for the Packers in the famous Ice Bowl game vs the Cowboys.  The man loved his school alright.   He & UNT Coach Corky Nelson were probably the 2 most calm guys at Fouts after that blocked field goal.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Harry said:

This series is bigger than just a football game on the schedule.  What happened way back in 1990 is just another example of this.  Shout out to @PlummMeanGreenfor providing this archived video from the battle in Denton.

Fouts was SRO that night. The largest crowd I ever saw at Fouts prior to the endzone expansion.

I will be bringing a friend Saturday who played and was involved in the brawl. He was wearing a white jersey that night. If you see him at the Club wearing the wrong colors don’t give him to hard a time.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
17 hours ago, MCMLXXX said:

Fouts was SRO that night. The largest crowd I ever saw at Fouts prior to the endzone expansion.

I will be bringing a friend Saturday who played and was involved in the brawl. He was wearing a white jersey that night. If you see him at the Club wearing the wrong colors don’t give him to hard a time.

You have a friend from THAT school?

Oh My Lord GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

Battle flag created in 1986...first of its kind, as far as I know.  Necessary Roughness was in 1991, so they used the Battle Flag that was 5 years old then.

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1

I had a literal front row seat to the brawl. About the time the Battle Flag runs by, you can see the white bell if you look closely (middle right of the frame in front of the wall) and I'm in the stands right behind it on the first row (I'm one of those blobs you can't make out very well).

• Upvote 2
8 hours ago, Harry said:

This series is bigger than just a football game on the schedule.  What happened way back in 1990 is just another example of this.  Shout out to @PlummMeanGreenfor providing this archived video from the battle in Denton.

IMG_0132.MOV 350.34 MB · 43 downloads

That's right, smut Broncos. Don't mess with North Texas!

GO MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 2