SMU / North Texas 1990: The FIGHT

Harry

5 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

👍👍

Never understood how we could not have better prepared for that game at Ownby Stadium. .
God rest his soul, but I was mad at Corky that whole season after that game. I may still have splinters in my butt from those old Ownby Stadium wooden bleachers. (Honestly, I would have loved exploring underneath that stadium in old closets, storage rooms, etc, before they got it ready to use post-DP).  

In Memory of our Friend one Richard Scarborough Spears—the creator of the Flying Worm.  Rick would have been all over this SMU game at fabulous Apogee Stadium this Saturday evening.  

Win one for the creator of “the Worm”, Mean Green!  

0C6E239F-6BB4-48C5-B859-D906F98DE437.jpeg.359bc9fdc7c38ee3c1c97aaabb71bdea.jpeg
GMG!

That SMU game at Ownby seemed like it was kinda the beginning of the end for Corky. We got dominated by the equivalent of a D-2 team at their place. Yes, we beat them by a TD at home the next season, but we finished 6-5 and didn't make the 1-AA playoffs, all while the NT Daily led a campus-wide campaign to get Corky replaced in 1990.

And in perfect UNT fashion, we decided to hire a HS coach to come here on the cheap. And a guy who was nowhere near ready for the job in Dennis Parker. Three years later, we were replacing him, knowing full well he wasn't getting us anywhere near where we wanted to go as a program.

• Upvote 1

In case you weren't able to open the link to the video...here is another video.  I was at that game as student in the Talons section where the fight happened.  What a crazy night.  One of the loudest and packed crowds I ever saw Fouts Field.

https://www.facebook.com/wade.thomasjr/videos/2400491140259929/

Edited by Talon90
  • Upvote 4

I wish there was video of the fight at the end of the game when Western Kentucky first played UNT at Fouts field.  It was a doozy.  I recall Vizza hurling a football at some guy’s head.  It was a bench clearing brawl at mid-field.  

Unfortunately that was also one of the most miserable weather games we’ve had.  Raining and barely above 32 degrees.  The Green Brigade may have outnumbered the fans.  Hence not a lot of cameras rolling.  

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Help me out here, but where did I say that?  (I do miss them, though, but anxious to see what this present group can do). 

GMG!

Lol calm down. I wasn't calling you out or anything; that's why I deleted the quote except for the video. Just mentioning that I miss seeing the 3 of them (and others) playing. Good times.

Edited by Jason Howeth
  • Haha 1

On 9/17/2020 at 1:57 PM, PlummMeanGreen said:

The SMU Coach, one Forrest Gregg was the man on the Fouts Field sideline that evening for the ‘Stangs.  I think many of us remember him when he played for the Packers in the famous Ice Bowl game vs the Cowboys.  The man loved his school alright.   He & UNT Coach Corky Nelson were probably the 2 most calm guys at Fouts after that blocked field goal.  

C4447FBE-5A7E-47A6-B0A1-51F9627A9489.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Jason Howeth said:

Lol calm down. I wasn't calling you out or anything; that's why I deleted the quote except for the video. Just mentioning that I miss seeing the 3 of them (and others) playing. Good times.

No, no, no, not that at all but I was just wondering what post I would have said that. No biggie.😬

• Upvote 1

On 6/29/2021 at 10:47 AM, PlummMeanGreen said:

SMU should actually be thanking North Texas.

After the Mean Green shellacked SMU in 2018 (see above video); anyway, it was that Mustang mine disaster that inspired your school to forget the traditional  recruitment of HS players in 2019, but rather go a totally new route in college football recruiting.  Legal—illegal or not, y’all were going to have a mass wholesale of new starters in 2019 even if it hair-lipped Peruna & y’all would have them ready for the season opening UNT game.  

So again—SMU would be hosting the MG the next Fall at your Ford.  Seems  the SMU elect got a tad panicked knowing the traditional  recruiting  of freshmen & a few JUCOS would just not be enough to open the 2019 season vs the North Texas Mean Green so.....WALA!🔜SMU would soon bring in 17(?) transfers (+ 1 former UT starter at QB).

🤔Question?  How long had yall been recruiting that QB while he was at UT?  About as long as y’all had been recruiting Siggers while he was at UNT?  (I’d say y’all very quietly started with Sigg’ right after he lit it up at Ford at the 2019 game). 

Honestly (or better yet—dishonestly) the Stangs would have paid players if they had to (since your school is expertise at doing that kind of thing as it is——anyway, that’s what SMU would have done to keep North Texas from putting on a repeat Apogee-like performance of the 2018 game. (See above video—again). 
Y’all suffered such so much  embarrassment from the 2018 game; a game where y’all had no 1’st downs in the first half?😮 
“OH, THE HUMANITY!”  

❇️🦅❇️

I know I'm over a year late but as a software developer (the cause of my paleness) I have to mention you left an open parenthesis without a corresponding close. I know it means nothing to anyone else but that would tank my code if I tried to compile it.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

I was there.  Two years after throwing for 400 yards against Texas, Davis ran for 201 against smu.  That was one of the interesting aspects of Corky’s offenses.  

Rick

975E51A2-DBB8-491D-B0BD-E46D86ED43C4.jpeg

68813C6B-E85A-42B2-BC6A-FC57538A5D1C.jpeg

DFFBBF36-29AE-414F-B5DF-5EAE03016DC7.jpeg

FFR, wasn’t that you with the battle flag in front of the Fouts student section getting the crowd into “the fight?” 

Found this in my all my junk as well.  The fun thing about this Mean Green win over smu in ‘06 was that SMU defensive end Lucky DeLay went on to coach my son at Weatherford, helping the Roos return to the playoffs for the first time in 11 seasons, and at the start of each season I got to remind him who won in ‘06.

Rick

041F14BF-DAA0-4EA1-AF45-E5A3744E0DDB.jpeg

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

FFR, wasn’t that you with the battle flag in front of the Fouts student section getting the crowd into “the fight?” 

No, I was in the southeast corner of the south endzone chasing embers from Boomer(we used to pack it with newspapers to increase the concussion) when the melee encircled me.  

“I thought I was gonna die…or worse!”

Rick

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Found this in my all my junk as well.  The fun thing about this Mean Green win over smu in ‘06 was that SMU defensive end Lucky DeLay went on to coach my son at Weatherford, helping the Roos return to the playoffs for the first time in 11 seasons, and at the start of each season I got to remind him who won in ‘06.

Rick

041F14BF-DAA0-4EA1-AF45-E5A3744E0DDB.jpeg

This was my favorite of the SMU games we played in recent history. Woody Wilson basically chucked Dickey's offense and vamped, leading us to a big win. That game was one of 3 we won that year, which was the Dickster's last season. But that loss was one that kept SMU from going to a bowl game. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

2 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

I was there.  Two years after throwing for 400 yards against Texas, Davis ran for 201 against smu.  That was one of the interesting aspects of Corky’s offenses.  

Rick

975E51A2-DBB8-491D-B0BD-E46D86ED43C4.jpeg

68813C6B-E85A-42B2-BC6A-FC57538A5D1C.jpeg

DFFBBF36-29AE-414F-B5DF-5EAE03016DC7.jpeg

I think Davis ran for 203 yards because he injured his throwing arm earlier in the season and could not throw the ball effectively.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Lucky DeLay

Oddly enough, I knew a girl that went by this name in college.  Sadly, I went by Lucky Togetlaid.

Thank you.  I'll be here all week.  Don't forget to tip your waitstaff and bartenders.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3
  • Eye Roll 1

On 8/30/2022 at 1:26 PM, untjim1995 said:

That SMU game at Ownby seemed like it was kinda the beginning of the end for Corky. We got dominated by the equivalent of a D-2 team at their place. Yes, we beat them by a TD at home the next season, but we finished 6-5 and didn't make the 1-AA playoffs, all while the NT Daily led a campus-wide campaign to get Corky replaced in 1990.

And in perfect UNT fashion, we decided to hire a HS coach to come here on the cheap. And a guy who was nowhere near ready for the job in Dennis Parker. Three years later, we were replacing him, knowing full well he wasn't getting us anywhere near where we wanted to go as a program.

Hmmm, you seem to forget that the coach that was hired to replace him (Matt Simon) won the Southland Conf. championship the very next year (1994) with the players that Coach Parker recruited. INCLUDING our (then) record setting QB Mitch Maher.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

Hmmm, you seem to forget that the coach that was hired to replace him (Matt Simon) won the Southland Conf. championship the very next year (1994) with the players that Coach Parker recruited. INCLUDING our (then) record setting QB Mitch Maher.

No, I was talking solely about Parker. Simon was a college coach, as he knew how to deal with college players and coaches. Parker did not.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

No, I was talking solely about Parker. Simon was a college coach, as he knew how to deal with college players and coaches. Parker did not.

Hmmm(2) so Matt Simon waived some magical college coaching wand over the players that Parker recruited and then magically turned them into REAL college players under Simon? 

Also, Parker had 11 wins in three years. Two of those wins (in 92-93) were against this coach who was the head coach of Texas state in 92-93......

Jim Bob Helduser era (1992–1996)[edit]

To replace Franchione, the Bobcats promoted Jim Bob Helduser from an assistant coach to head coach. Under Helduser's leadership, the Bobcats compiled a record of 20–34–1. Helduser was approached by Franchione to join his staff at Texas Christian University as offensive line coach, an offer Helduser accepted.

He had 9 other wins. I wonder if those head coaches that he defeated had any college coaching experience.

Also (2), Odus Mitchell was coaching Marshall High School in 1946 when he was recruited to coach a North Texas program that had not played football since 1942. By 1950, he had a record of 31-13-1 and two bowl trips.......one of which he won.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

45 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

Also (2), Odus Mitchell was coaching Marshall High School in 1946 when he was recruited to coach a North Texas program that had not played football since 1942. By 1950, he had a record of 31-13-1 and two bowl trips.......one of which he won.

Can we really compare hiring Odus Mitchell straight from high school coaching in the 1940s to hiring Parker and Dodge so much later? College football was so different back then that Mitchell could field a team entirely of walk-ons from the student body with zero recruiting prior to the season and win a bowl game.

He was a great coach, beyond a doubt, but a lot less was expected of a head coach playing at a venue with 2,500 seats at North Texas State Teachers College.

8 minutes ago, rcade said:

Can we really compare hiring Odus Mitchell straight from high school coaching in the 1940s to hiring Parker and Dodge so much later? College football was so different back then that Mitchell could field a team entirely of walk-ons from the student body with zero recruiting prior to the season and win a bowl game.

He was a great coach, beyond a doubt, but a lot less was expected of a head coach playing at a venue with 2,500 seats at North Texas State Teachers College.

Fine, then look at Parkers record against coaches with college experience. He did beat some after all.

On 9/17/2020 at 1:25 PM, untjim1995 said:

So whatever happened with those “serious” talks with the Big Eight back then??

Our chancellor would not approve spending money on football which would have required a sizable stadium enlargement.  Instead he wanted the money spent on improving scholastics.  I hate to admit it but he was right.  We were willing but not ready for such an undertaking.