La. Tech AD bails

meangreen11

39 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

True.   Consider that committee of Presidents like UNT's BOR.   They're a final stamp on the work that President Smatresk & the University has done to present to them.   
The BOR aren't going to get in and mix it up with construction companies to find the best deals for new buildings and whatnot, but they'll sign-off, or nix proposals brought to them by the University.   

Likewise, the C-USA presidents aren't on the phones with ESPN/Fox/etc... either.  They'll take what they can get.  Which, unfortunately with current C-USA leadership, our choices are not much, or even less.   And I know we have some pretty crappy teams, but that is only going to get perpetually worse because those struggling schools aren't getting any kind of financial resources from the broadcast deals to help with things like upgrading facilities or hiring better coaches, and it's very clear their boosters aren't gonna do it for them.    It's Judy & Co's job to SELL C-USA to the networks and negotiate for more.   Not just accept scraps thrown their way.

This is my assumption how the conference works. Sure, the conference office doesn't have sway over how competitive individual programs are but maybe if the conference office set a bar for excellence, it would set a standard. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

17 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Judy McLeod is  absolutely terrible as an AD, as the TV, I mean Facebook, deal is what we have for our entire league. The SBC and MAC think that is bad. Think about that for a moment...

What CUSA does have for it is WHEN we have a team get good, it SHOULD be connected to a bigger market. With the exceptions of Marshall, La Tech, WKU, and USM, the others are connected to bigger markets. But right now, the bet on TV markets was a tremendously poor one, as the SBC has seen their profile rise by adding in Appy State and seeing them raise everyone else. We added UTSA, Charlotte, and Old Dominion. That trio hasn’t done much at the FBS level, certainly nothing close to Appy State’s level of play. 

But to @TIgreen’s point, when you’re  providing teams that never get wins or rarely provide even a competitive game against P5s in OOC play, networks aren’t gonna jump up and down to air your league. Troy has beaten LSU. Appy State has beaten P5s. Now, UL has beaten a ranked ISU team and is now ranked. Arkansas State will be next. We roll out UAB and WKU and watch them get pounded by ACC teams. USM loses to USA and immediately fires their coach, which screams desperation. 

At this point, for our sake, we need realignment for both cost containment AND to get better teams to play. Because the folks in CUSA West that reside in Texas are just not helping the league either. The four of us are just terrible right now, which also doesn’t help the CUSA’s AD job any easier, either.

Absolutely on point! 

2 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

That's absolutely insane how we are below KANSAS A P5 WHO LOST BY DOUBLE DIGITS TO CCU! What a terrible list

I agree, completely.

But if it was anywhere close to accurate, that would mean that our program is basically where it was when Littrell took over, as CBS and others had us anywhere from the worst to the 3rd worst FBS program after McCarney left...

• Upvote 1
  • RV 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1

19 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

I agree, completely.

But if it was anywhere close to accurate, that would mean that our program is basically where it was when Littrell took over, as CBS and others had us anywhere from the worst to the 3rd worst FBS program after McCarney left...

CBS never projects anything right, and always having the worst predictions and rankings. Makes zero sense why we move down 3 but still behind Kansas

55 minutes ago, Aquila_Viridis said:

Appalachian's success has nothing to do with sbc. Those people care about winning at football cause there's nothing else going on out there in the middle of the mountains where they are.

So that means we don’t care about winning because we are in an urban area and there is plenty to do??

😩

• Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1

Their leadership has made it a high priority. They have a high proportion of fan engagement.  I’m not sure which caused the other. Either way they have managed to bake it into the mix. On the other hand you have Charlotte that is much more comparable to us. I see a pattern, and a distinction. And you can say, Charlotte didn’t even have football. Well there are reasons for that, and they are some of the same reasons we have had it but only rarely been good at it. But Appalachian is not immune from everything; if Carolina or NCS ever really starts to care about football and feels any pain in the recruiting from Appalachian, then Appalachian’s fortunes may suffer a turn for the worse.

• Upvote 2

I am sure the financial situation at La Tech had something to do with the decision. If he had dreams of bigger jobs the next five years of financial hardship probably isn't the best way to bolster your resume.

I think Tommy had also been open in the past about his son's autism and how he has reached a point where he needs more care than they can get in Ruston. I am sure Vandy has more resources for that situation as well.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

On 9/14/2020 at 4:49 PM, untjim1995 said:

Currently, the CBS Sports college rankings list from 1-76 lists UTSA as 63rd, Rice as 72nd, UNT 74th, and UTEP as Dead-Ass last at 76. Also, FIU is 68th, MUTS is 71st.

Congrove Rankings are in same range with some flips: UTSA 73rd, Rice 64th, UNT 70th, UTEP 77th. Others on our schedule include SMU 35th, Houston 47th, SoMiss 67th, Charlotte 63rd, MTSU 74th, LaTech 68th, and UAB 55th. By the way, they have Kansas at 71st.

• 1 month later...