HBU in perspective

Eagleisland

19 minutes ago, wardly said:

HBU had 4th and one on TT's goal line 32 seconds before half time , went for it and were rebuffed. How does a team picked as a 42 point favorite at home only win by the skin of their teeth? Could be a long season for the Red Raiders.

Portland St.

• Upvote 5
  • RV 3
  • Downvote 1

32 minutes ago, wardly said:

HBU had 4th and one on TT's goal line 32 seconds before half time , went for it and were rebuffed. How does a team picked as a 42 point favorite at home only win by the skin of their teeth? Could be a long season for the Red Raiders.

Could be a long season for the Red Raiders, but I thought HBU was a very good team.  Well coached, with good players.  To me the difference was the seemingly smallish linemen that HBU fielded.  At least they looks overmatched for the most part.  Still, HBU was a very impressive team.  And the football program is not that old.  At least at the FCS level.

My question is, can anyone in the Southland Conference beat HBU?

Edited by DeepGreen
  • Upvote 2

TX Tech will regret hiring Wells.  I am a firm believer that to have success at Tech, you have to be connected to the coaches out in the area or run a crazy assed system that attracts kids.  Wells is neither.  Their recruiting has been lackluster at best.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

TX Tech will regret hiring Wells.  I am a firm believer that to have success at Tech, you have to be connected to the coaches out in the area or run a crazy assed system that attracts kids.  Wells is neither.  Their recruiting has been lackluster at best.

This.

Leach won because he ran a system that nobody else could stop unless you had superior defensive talent or made their QB make bad passes. And plenty of TX HS football programs could supply Tech with QBs, WRs, and RBs to run his offense.

Tuberville failed out there because he was a better version of Wells--defensive oriented and focused on running the ball. That won't ever make you a winner out there very often.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

What does that say about Littrel and the thorough ass kicking that Well’s USU team gave to UNT in NEW MEXICO BOWL???

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, DallasGreen said:

What does that say about Littrel and the thorough ass kicking that Well’s USU team gave to UNT in NEW MEXICO BOWL???

I don't think we had a real chance at a bowl win that year without winning the CUSA championship and playing somewhere besides Albuquerque. To play at about 4000 greater elevation than here and and do well woud require being in better condition than we were.

Two specific things I can think that could have helped I'll lay at the foot of our offensive line play:

1. Don't have your starting quarterback go out early due to already being beat up and getting more beat up early in the game.

2. Don't have your center bouncing shotgun snaps off the ground at the worst possible times.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

Could be a long season for the Red Raiders, but I thought HBU was a very good team.  Well coached, with good players.  To me the difference was the seemingly smallish linemen that HBU fielded.  At least they looks overmatched for the most part.  Still, HBU was a very impressive team.  And the football program is not that old.  At least at the FCS level.

My question is, can anyone in the Southland Conference beat HBU?

We won't know until next spring, will we.