DRC: Breaking news (updated with Wallis' resignation letter) -- Tate Wallis has resigned

Brett Vito

1 minute ago, Cr1028 said:

I like DT a lot but I’d try to grab Riley Dodge before DT.

This is more the direction I was thinking.    An offensive-minded HC from a successful DFW program... but it may be a little too late to hire one of them right now.
Having Riley back up here would be pretty awesome, but I think that employment bridge has been thoroughly toasted.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 4

19 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

This is more the direction I was thinking.    An offensive-minded HC from a successful DFW program... but it may be a little too late to hire one of them right now.
Having Riley back up here would be pretty awesome, but I think that employment bridge has been thoroughly toasted.

This would be good. Nothing against any grad assistants but if we are talking about elevating our program we should not be hiring GA's as position coaches,  especially QB

• Upvote 4

23 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Depends on how much he wants to be a college coach and if he has any bad blood over his father’s dismissal. He’s right around $100k now so you’d be looking at at least $120k.

It would be the path his dad should have taken instead of being thrust into a FBS HC position right off the bat.   

Start as an QBs coach, work up to Co-OC, then OC, then become a HC... with experience.   
Poor Todge, I honestly think he would have been a fine FBS HC if he had taken that route.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, greenminer said:

Todge was our QB/WR coach in the early nineties.  It's not like he came into the HC blind to the college experience.

Some have argued here that his shortcoming was not his coaching ability, it was the boneheaded decision to bring in his entire staff from SLC.

Wasn't that just for 1 season?   Either way, it was a huge layoff between that 1 season and his HC hire.

I agree bringing the whole SLC staff with him was a huge mistake, but several here have said he wanted to keep some of Dickey's staff, but RV said "no"?

• Upvote 2
  • RV 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Wasn't that just for 1 season?   Either way, it was a huge layoff between that 1 season and his HC hire.

I agree bringing the whole SLC staff with him was a huge mistake, but several here have said he wanted to keep some of Dickey's staff, but RV said "no"?

The parents of players went to bat for some of he defensive coaches and asked that they be kept, Dodge wanted to keep some or all of the defensive coaches and RV refused. 

Edited by MCMLXXX
  • Upvote 4
  • RV 1

42 minutes ago, H-towngreen said:

I always heard that Dodge said “if you want me I’m bringing my entire SLC staff”

That is not what happened. He did bring his coordinators. 

https://web.archive.org/web/20110714064309/http://www.meangreensports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=1800&ATCLID=746234

A friend of mine, the source of most of my information, had a sideline pass at the first game at OU and told me the fans were yelling and cursing at the staff etc. He said Mendoza started responding and started yelling he was going to contact security and have them thrown out of the  stadium. The players said "Coach, this isn't High School they are not getting thrown out." He said that Mendoza made no adjustments at the half (he said some OU players were laughing about the obvious lack of adjustments after the game). It reached the point where the position coaches told their players to ignore Mendoza and listen to them.  

Edited by MCMLXXX
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

You've thoroughly won this thread.  Solid content all the way through.  Typically tend to agree with your perspective.  Forget your playing experience but appears you've got your skins on the wall.  

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, outoftown said:

who is older: Shanbour or Aune?

11 minutes ago, MeanGreen2019 said:

I believe Aune

This site seems to suggest Shanbour is older but it seems to me they have Aune’s age incorrect because I thought he turned 27 on Sunday.

https://www.perfectgame.org/Players/PlayerProfile.aspx?ID=225619

https://www.perfectgame.org/Players/Playerprofile.aspx?ID=268658

Edited by Cr1028

1 hour ago, H-towngreen said:

To this day I still feel like Dodge would’ve worked if he would’ve had legit coordinators 

I doubt it. His offense-only philosophy would’ve done him in, just like it will SL probably. 

You can’t win anything of any major note without a legitimate defense. And when you run shotgun for every snap, including short distance and goal line snaps, the way Dodge did, and SL does, eventually, good defenses stop you. And when you cannot create turnovers and cannot get stops, you lose. Dodge, even with better coordinators, wasn’t ever going to be any different than he was because he was philosophy was a high school game plan.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1