Arlington schools say goodbye to UTA

meangreen11

THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT ARLINGTON 2011 TRACK & FIELD

One of the most memorable games in Scott Peach’s coaching career came in 2018 when his Arlington Colts beat Arlington Lamar in the biggest game in city history.

Two 9-0 teams playing in the final regular-season game for the district championship.

It was just one of many games Peach won’t forget at UT Arlington’s Maverick Stadium.

After more than 30 years of playing high school football games at the 12,000-seat venue, the Arlington Independent School District will have a new home for at least the next four years.

In April, the Texas Rangers and AISD finalized an agreement to play 15 regular-season games at Globe Life Park, starting this fall. Globe Life Park had been the home of the XFL’s Dallas Renegades earlier this year until the league permanently suspended operations because of the coronavirus.

read more:  https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/dfwvarsity/prep-football/article245373490.html?fbclid=IwAR0IIiBXmn-dTRX0-xf8E0gx71Y_aZHDH97OKDpts_U32Kh1OopfHhh3IgU

Edited by meangreen11
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, southsideguy said:

We lost to UTA at that stadium as I recall,  another low moment in UNT history.

southsideguy, many of us were at that UTA stadium debut game & it did end with a Mean Green win. 
Seems what I recall most about that weekend took place the next night & that was the killing of Mean Green Star RB #23 Bernard Jackson at the Mean Green Inn pub located in the (now defunct) Carriage Square Shopping Center. So very sad.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

southsideguy, many of us were at that UTA stadium debut game & it did end with a Mean Green win. 
Seems what I recall most about that weekend took place the next night & that was the killing of Mean Green Star RB #23 Bernard Jackson at the Mean Green Inn pub located in the (now defunct) Carriage Square Shopping Center. So very sad.

That event was a little before my time at UNT, but I remember that story about the murder.    About the same time, I remember that my dad used to leave his Playboy magazines around.     They always had a really good college football preview (really, it wasn't just all pictures at the time).  I saw one of the covers of an issue that was a year or two old, which mentioned the preseason Top-20 ('78 or '79).    North Texas was actually in their preseason Top-20.

So in 1984, I started attending North Texas.    My recollection at the time was that they must have a pretty good football program, based on reading about them 4 years earlier.    Little did I know what was coming.     I attended my first game in 1984, only to find out that the football program had recently dropped to 1AA.    

What a struggle it has been since then.     But, the program has recovered and come a long way since my first Fout's experience in 1984.

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 2

11 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

What the Mean Green is defunct?  Where did all the disco music go?    Spent many nights there as a student.  I remember Jackson getting murdered there in the parking lot.  Sad night for his family, friends and the mean green family.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, ADLER said:

Chuck Curtis was their last coach, and he did wear the cowboy hats on the sideline.

And Chuck Curtis was a member of the Parker County Sheriff Possee here in Weatherford.  He also coached at SMU when Fry was there.  He was on the verge of turning UTA in a good direction before their administration pulled the plug.

• Upvote 1

Pretty good memory Plumm.  Almost.  Bernard Jackson was murdered on Thursday night prior to the SMU game.  I recall that because at the time, there was a Mean Green Breakfast the Friday morning before a game held at the old Holiday Inn.  I went to that breakfast unaware of the murder and only found out about it as I stood in line for the buffet.  Tragic. 

• Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

Pretty good memory Plumm.  Almost.  Bernard Jackson was murdered on Thursday night prior to the SMU game.  I recall that because at the time, there was a Mean Green Breakfast the Friday morning before a game held at the old Holiday Inn.  I went to that breakfast unaware of the murder and only found out about it as I stood in line for the buffet.  Tragic. 

Thanks, Joe.😬 & whoops—My first sign of dementia?😳
(My dad passed with “the Big A” so I have to be wary of it).
As another GMG poster said... It is the saddest of all diseases to watch them slowly disappear & then not know who you are. I’d suspect that most families have had a family member affected with that disease. 

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2