ACC propose 2021 NCAA Basketball Tourney include all D1 teams

ACC men's basketball coaches are proposing an expanded 2021 NCAA tournament that would include every Division I team.

"I am so proud to stand UNITED with every coach in the ACC in the belief that every Division I college basketball program should be allowed to participate in the NCAA Tournament this year!" Forbes tweeted. "This is what's best for our student-athletes, fans and the sport of college basketball. It will incentivize everyone that loves and cares about our great sport during these unprecedented times, and it will provide a safe environment for all to participate in. LET'S GET THIS DONE!"

Read more:  https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket...sion-teams

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

What a terrible idea

Why

It sounds like fun to me, in a normal season only two extra games would be added for seeded teams. Those lower than the 256 seed would have to have play-in games. 

In the next tournament with probably a lot less teams, there may not even have to expand the rounds. 

• Lovely Take 1

The current NCAA tournament isn't perfect but its the best option for everyone, and my favorite thing about American sports.  The conference tournaments do act as a play in for the big NCAA tournament.  granted there are always a few teams on the fringe that miss out, but that's what the NIT is for. 

besides who wants to fill out a bracket with 347 D1 schools?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, MrAlien said:

The current NCAA tournament isn't perfect but its the best option for everyone, and my favorite thing about American sports.  The conference tournaments do act as a play in for the big NCAA tournament.  granted there are always a few teams on the fringe that miss out, but that's what the NIT is for. 

besides who wants to fill out a bracket with 347 D1 schools?

Most teams play their conference regular season just for seeding in the conference tournament. 

So playing their conference tournament just for seeding in the NCAA would not be a stretch. 

Basketball between mediocre to bad teams might be interesting with all playing for a chance to right a season.

The probably insurmountable problem would be losistics.  How would those games be played without delaying the tournament?  A longer delay between conference action and the tournament could be a detriment to the legit contending teams.