Going to movie theaters is dangerously ignorant

5 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Strangely enough, but won’t much of this “the sky is falling” with COVID-19 & the immediate need (by some politicians) to shut down America which would all but  guarantee a U.S. full depression 2.0; anyhow, won’t much of the doom & gloom (predictably & dramatically) end on Wednesday, November 4’th?

so in your mind, the entire world planned and executed a pandemic hoax in order to screw Donal Trump out of a second term? 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 6

52 minutes ago, MeanGreenTeeth said:

No.  It's not a hoax, but the quasi-religious fervor and zealotry on the left

Pretty rare to see the religion card placed on the left, rather than the right.

Religious topics like Pro-Life in my observation seem to be what motivates the Right to overlook candidate character and vote strictly based on platforms.

I would say the motivation behind this article is the Left's zealous pursuit to save every life possible, as opposed to the Right's higher regard for economic performance/progress.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5

6 hours ago, greenminer said:

Pretty rare to see the religion card placed on the left, rather than the right.

Yeah, but it's all pretty much the same though.. sin, guilt, piety, proselyting, Armageddon...  I laugh when I see my super duper socially conservative and liberal friends argue on social media.   They're exactly the same type of people.. two sides of the same coin.  It's so obvious to me, but they never see it.

Religious topics like Pro-Life in my observation seem to be what motivates the Right to overlook candidate character and vote strictly based on platforms.

Sure.  There are a lot of single issue folks.  You could say the same thing about environmental activists on the left.  In a way, I have a lot of respect for single issue voters, at least they know what's important to them.

I would say the motivation behind this article is the Left's zealous pursuit to save every life possible, as opposed to the Right's higher regard for economic performance/progress.

I don't think it gets that deep for most folks to be honest.   I'm mean, that's how they justify their positions after the fact, of course, but I don't think that's how most arrived at them.  I remember when George W was president and the Patriotic Act had become a matter of debate.  At that point it was primarily the left that was suddenly worried about government overreach on personal liberties.  I can't remember how many times I heard the Ben Franklin "safety/liberty" quote from folks who hated W.   That magically has turned completely around where most on that side would rather see the government lock down more things in the name of safety.  I'm not saying that this sort of thing is unique to liberals, but it is interesting that people's opinion on things generally shift based on what is politically advantageous to their side.

For me it isn't really about lives or economics fundamentally.   I think adults should be treated as such and be able to make whatever wise or stupid decisions they'd like. I hate being lectured and talked down to by zealots. Everyone has there own level of risk tolerance based on their situation.  Let them make their own choice.  No one need a lecture from some undergrad at the NT Daily.

Edited by MeanGreenTeeth
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I think the most shocking part of this op-ed is the authors lacking of writing ability.

Putting aside the content of the editorial, posts like this on this site puzzle me. What is the point of attacking an undergraduate writing for a student newspaper at your alma mater? How does that help either the student or UNT? There are lots of better targets for criticism in the paid media, why hit a UNT student?

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

10 hours ago, MeanGreenTeeth said:

No.  It's not a hoax, but the quasi-religious fervor and zealotry on the left which results in articles like this condemning people who even want to go to a 90% empty movie theater is no doubt partially driven by hatred for the President who favors a more open approach.  Surely you can't deny that plays at least some part.

it isn't the person. it's the approach.

the "more open approach" means valuing our normal conception of an economy over human lives. we're a wealthy enough nation to do what dozen of other countries have done...shutter large swaths of industry, slow down mechanisms of their economies, provide a basic standard of living all to support a common good. 

• Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 6

23 hours ago, chomp said:

Putting aside the content of the editorial, posts like this on this site puzzle me. What is the point of attacking an undergraduate writing for a student newspaper at your alma mater? How does that help either the student or UNT? There are lots of better targets for criticism in the paid media, why hit a UNT student?

These aren't third graders learning to write short stories. They're college students who should have a better grasp of the English language. At the very least, the editor of the paper should catch the errors. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

42 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

what about the college graduates on this board?

posting on this board isn't our job/career....we are a bunch of wankers with dumbass opinions that think they matter and we bitch to anyone that doesn't agree with us

just a little bit different amigo

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1