Joe Ozougwu Enters Transfer Portal

Uncle

• Uncle changed the title to Joe Ozougwu Enters Transfer Portal
  • Harry featured this topic
3 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I thought he was a Senior this year?  And he already had used a redshirt & a grayshirt.  Maybe I’m mistaken... so how would he have any eligibility?

This year doesn't count for eligibility due to corona.  Will be really interesting to see some guys play their entire senior year at one place and then potentially try to play another senior year at a different school next year.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, UNT18Grad said:

This year doesn't count for eligibility due to corona.  Will be really interesting to see some guys play their entire senior year at one place and then potentially try to play another senior year at a different school next year.

Ah yes,  Corona...

He can transfer anywhere he wants outside of another C-USA school, right?   So if he wanted to follow big brother’s steps @ Rice, he’d need a waiver... and why would Littrell sign that?

As recruiting improves expect more transfers from upperclassmen. This is why we should continue showing interest and going after "P5" players. The transfer portal is a very good way to bring in talent from P5 programs. Hopefully they will remember if the time comes for them to move back home.

5 hours ago, Charlie NT 73 said:

So he got his feelings hurt because he is not starting?

Will he play vs the phonies?

5 hours ago, Harry said:

I was afraid this might happen when they put Nixon ahead of him.  Damn shame because he's a good pass rusher.

PS - Great find @Uncle - appreciate you letting us know.

I blame myself. I never should have also adopted Nixon. JOJO must have been crush. 
Sorry guys, my bad. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, UNT86 said:

He has been passed by better recruiting.  I am not worried at all to see him in another jersey. 

Maybe, but that is not clear.  It is fairly apparent because he didn't play that he made the decision to transfer before the game.  

His rationale could have been he was beat out as a starter or that he just wanted to go somewhere else. 

Where he ends up will be a big clue to his motivation. 

This guy has played a lot of ball for NT, so it is not like he is an insignificant loss. 

Just because NT played everyone against HBU, doesn't mean they have great depth. 

• Upvote 2

I know its been said about the crowded QB room, but I really think Kason Martin would be an FCS transfer and maybe even Will Kuehne, but his family has roots to UNT. Too many young QBs with Bryce Drummond coming and Gilmore being eligible next year. Add in the Corona +1 deal too. Our dept for the forseeable future without transfers:

2020: Bean (RS Soph), Aune (RS Soph), Martin (RS Soph), Kuehne (RS Fresh)
2021: Bean (RS Soph)/Gilmore (RS Fresh), Aune (RS Soph), Martin (RS Soph), Kuehne (RS Fresh), Drummond (RS)
2022: Bean (RS Jr)/Gilmore (RS Soph), Aune (RS Jr), Martin (RS Jr), Kuehne (RS Soph), Drummond (RS Fresh), New QB?
2023: Bean (RS Sr)/Gilmore (RS Jr), Aune (RS Sr), Martin (RS Sr), Kuehne (RS Jr), Drummond (RS Soph), New QB(s)?
2024: Gilmore (RS Sr)/Kuehne (RS Sr)/Drummond (RS Jr), New QBs
2025: Drummond (RS Sr), etc.

I can see Aune being a career backup and mentor like Shanbour was. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, greeneagle1 said:

I know its been said about the crowded QB room, but I really think Kason Martin would be an FCS transfer and maybe even Will Kuehne, but his family has roots to UNT. Too many young QBs with Bryce Drummond coming and Gilmore being eligible next year. Add in the Corona +1 deal too. Our dept for the forseeable future without transfers:

2020: Bean (RS Soph), Aune (RS Soph), Martin (RS Soph), Kuehne (RS Fresh)
2021: Bean (RS Soph)/Gilmore (RS Fresh), Aune (RS Soph), Martin (RS Soph), Kuehne (RS Fresh), Drummond (RS)
2022: Bean (RS Jr)/Gilmore (RS Soph), Aune (RS Jr), Martin (RS Jr), Kuehne (RS Soph), Drummond (RS Fresh), New QB?
2023: Bean (RS Sr)/Gilmore (RS Jr), Aune (RS Sr), Martin (RS Sr), Kuehne (RS Jr), Drummond (RS Soph), New QB(s)?
2024: Gilmore (RS Sr)/Kuehne (RS Sr)/Drummond (RS Jr), New QBs
2025: Drummond (RS Sr), etc.

I can see Aune being a career backup and mentor like Shanbour was. 

Yes, almost anyone can transfer out.

However unless they transfer down, their changes of playing are probably not going to be any better.     

Unless they want to walk on, getting a P5 interested if you are not a star at the G5 level is going to be difficult.  

• Upvote 2

• 1 year later...