Some thoughts on the "D"

UNT86

What I liked: Our corners were better than anything we ran out there last year.  We played several and changed them repeatedly to keep them fresh.  The last group of freshmen are not ready.  It was obvious last year game 1 that we were in trouble in the secondary.  Maybe not so much this year.  We also did not show much variety in scheme (probably because we did not have to).

I also liked that we seem to have moved a couple of guys to safety that were not playing there last year.  Cam and Gibbs both were much better at safety.  I think last year we were asking them to play out of position.  Noted is that most of the H.B. scheme was to get the ball out quickly.  They will complete a lot of short routes.  At that point, you have to tackle.  We tackled better than last year, but I still probably would not list that as a strength.

What concerns me: That I saw, we never got out of a 3 man front, not even on the goal line.  Our DL is a collection of 3 techniques.  They are not built to rush the passer and cannot get to the QB when you rush 3 against 5 or 6.  We got very little pressure from our down people and I don't think that we will in this scheme. Noted is that H.B. threw a lot of short routes.  Their scheme is designed to get the ball out of the QB's hands quickly.  It is hard to pressure that scheme.

Also, we do not stunt very well from the second level.  When your strength is speed, don't run into the fat guys.  When the fat guy grabs you, the speed thing is over.  Also noted is that when the ball is gone quickly, it does not do much good to stunt.

The overall defense is better than last year's, but it almost had to be.  The scheme is better.  The kids are in places where they can make plays.  If this defense can just be average, I think we will be okay.

Edited by UNT86
  • Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 2