DRC: Hopson out at Southern Miss, shaking up race for C-USA West title

Brett Vito

1 hour ago, DeepGreen said:

Hops on must have been on an extremely short leash.

Lowest paid Coach in CUSA.  
USM once averaged 35,000 a home game when they were Independent & had visions of going up in the old NCAA.  I feel sorry for what has happened to the Golden Eagle’s once grandiose dreams.  If USM had our media market they could have soared IMO. They need to find the formula to turn their lemons into lemonade & to just bloom where planted (at the end of the day—so to speak).🙄

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, aztecskin said:

The Briles hire attempt was the most egregious thing. He didn't let his bosses know, wrote a letter saying he disagreed with his bosses, and brought lots of heat on the program. 

Weird is that he was under a new contract -- just extended prior to 2018. 

I mean what was he thinking?  I'm all for giving people second chances but that decision was flat out dumb.

31 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

They need to find their version of Skip Holts or Bill Clark, guys who are good X’s and O’s Coaches who can take advantage of the goldmine of talent around them the way some of their previous coaches have done.

They had him.  His name was Jeff Bower and they ran him off years ago.

• Upvote 1

On 9/7/2020 at 5:42 PM, DeepGreen said:

So. Miss should be in the AAC, not Tulsa and Tulane.

There is no way tha USM should be in the AAC before NT. 

I know that you are implying USM should have been selected when the AAC was formed.  Unfortunately, NT didn't have it together at that time. 

USM is going to have a tough battle ahead.   They suffer from both a location and budget standpoint. They do have history and are in a fertile recruiting area which might keep them afloat in the short term. 

33 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

There is no way that USM should be in the AAC before NT. 

I know that you are implying USM should have been selected when the AAC was formed.  Unfortunately, NT didn't have it together at that time. 

USM is going to have a tough battle ahead.   They suffer from both a location and budget standpoint. They do have history and are in a fertile recruiting area which might keep them afloat in the short term. 

USM is screwed because of their location. Similar to Western Kentucky, La Tech, and Marshall, better conferences and their networks aren't taking teams from podunk markets. 

The AAC, if it ever decides to add another football program, probably will consider Army to go along with Navy. I just don't see them adding anyone or they already would have. ESPN basically told them that nobody available is worth adding--which is basically what they did to the Big XII and why UH, Memphis, Cincy, and UCF are blocked out.

19 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Larry Fedora won big there and so did their coach that left to be the OC with Tampa Bay a few years back. 

It shouldn’t be hard to win there.

I've been of the opinion that it is not an ideal place to win, they just scored 2-3 really good coaches and their luck has since run dry.