Blast From Past: #22 Texas Aggies @ UNT (1997)

PlummMeanGreen

• This video of 1997 TAMU @ UNT game showed up on YouTube several weeks ago.
✳️ Real Mean Green action begins at 30:00 on the timeline. 
• UNT had beaten Texas Tech the week before.
• Texas A&M broadcast team of Dave South & former AG QB Dave Elmendorf  said it was the largest “home crowd” in UNT history.  (Of course, there were a few Aggies who showed up, too).🙄
• I had forgotten that the Aggies were ranked #22 coming in for that game.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 4

Maybe more UNT home games like the one in the video?  If our Student Side looked like this our pro-active AD “In Wren We Trust” Baker could probably get selected Big 12 & SEC games into Denton. • Ain’t college football games more fun when the visiting team brings a few thousand fans like the Army Black Knights game at Apogee 2 years ago?  

GMG!
60620C83-E575-4C9B-B89F-D9865CF58FF9.jpeg.fb6d4ac7c51555e6f2f86ba9f62ff30c.jpeg

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 4

1 hour ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

IMO, if our Student Side looked like this our very pro-active AD Wren Baker could get selected Big 12 & SEC games in Denton.

••• Did UNT hit 40,000 in this Fall’s enrollment?  A friend who knows someone who would know said it would likely happen. 

GMG!
60620C83-E575-4C9B-B89F-D9865CF58FF9.jpeg.fb6d4ac7c51555e6f2f86ba9f62ff30c.jpeg

Good to hear from you Plumm, but why a pic of Charlotte?

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Good to hear from you Plumm, but why a pic of Charlotte?

UNTLifer, mostly because their student side looks much like ours would look like with an upper deck. I know there are other priorities but... we still have to dream some? 😊

Good to hear from you & to have seen a few of you at the concessions area. I did miss Fletcher’s Corny Dogs, but am sure CV-19 had  something to do with that.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

Thanks for the memory as I was there.  We filled up our side of Texas Stadium pretty good but it still looked and sounded like Kyle Field until the 31:00 minute mark of the video!  We were going crazy tying the game going into halftime.  Then they completely shut us down after that.  

I also remember the Wings and the Aggie band getting into a fight right before they took the field at halftime.  It caused quite a commotion after a great first half.

• Upvote 3

On 9/7/2020 at 2:19 PM, Talon90 said:

Thanks for the memory as I was there.  We filled up our side of Texas Stadium pretty good but it still looked and sounded like Kyle Field until the 31:00 minute mark of the video!  We were going crazy tying the game going into halftime.  Then they completely shut us down after that.  

I also remember the Wings and the Aggie band getting into a fight right before they took the field at halftime.  It caused quite a commotion after a great first half.

30:00 on the YouTube video was a good timeline mark, Talon90. 👍

SUMG said it was about half & half for each school support & I thing there was a bit over 50,000 in attendance?

We who love our college football were absolutely in our element that evening in Texas Stadium. 

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Huff said:

I will always believe that if we do not drop that punt we end up winning that game.  It changed everything.

Agree, Huff. 👍

If Texas Stadium would have been a hot air balloon all the air would have rushed out all at once with the same intensity as one sitting on a whoopie cushion.  We never recovered.  

GMG!

1 hour ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I remember I was a student working at Foot Action at Golden Triangle Mall. I put the game on the speakers in the store. Tied at the half and I believe we forced a punt early in the 3rd....fumbled it. They scored and then it was down hill after that...

Yep....that was a painful fumble.

• Upvote 1

I was gonna say, the fumble on the punt return was what I remember being the turning point.  

It turned into a fairly disappointing year given our showings against Tech and A&M.  However, the Utah State game at season's end was one of the best games I've ever seen.  Even if only about 500 people were in Fouts that day.

Edited by CMJ

7 minutes ago, CMJ said:

I was gonna say, the fumble on the punt return was what I remember being the turning point.  

It turned into a fairly disappointing year given our showings against Tech and A&M.  However, the Utah State game at season's end was one of the best games I've ever seen.  Even if only about 500 people were in Fouts that day.

Was that game in a torrential downpour? 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, CMJ said:

How many games have we said that about? Add Lance‘a finale at Apogee as well. 
#sad