Why no more love for Bean?

meangreen11

6 hours ago, Cooley said:

Way too early for this back and forth but Mason Fine would have been sacked twice last night. 

How soon we forget....

Bean had a good game but he sure floated some of those longer passes hence the comment those would of been intercepted by a decent FBS team. 

Smut will be a totally different game and I believe SL knows that and try to set him up for success...lets see how he responds before crowning him.

Bean plays a great game for his first start.   Some of you can nitpick it to death citing luck, great QB's also make lucky throws.  He also had like in most games, a few good throws dropped. 

A game against HBU's defense may not be a great challenge,, but that was the schedule.  

It is obviously way too early to declare NT's qb worries are over.  However, Bean played a hell of a first game and lets give him credit for that. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Well I know Bean won’t be able to do some of the things he did last night against SMU. That hbu secondary was so bad, but SMU is talented. 
im really excited to see how he deals with smus defense 

With that being said, we should also see him running for his life a lot more if our O Line shows up to the game. Not saying they weren’t yesterday, but it was not good to see hbu take over a lot in the trenches

Edited by NorthTexasSportsNetwork
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I guess I don't understand what we SHOULD have done

900 yards?

what should TTech do next week?

We did what we should have done. That doesn’t make this a great offense and it certainly doesn’t make Bean a great quarterback in North Texas history.

What I’m trying to say is that there was nothing we could have done in that game that would show how good we will be against FBS competition. If it had gone poorly it could have shown how bad we’d be but fortunately that didn’t happen.

• Eye Roll 1

3 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

You obviously looked up the stats before coming up with the number 3.  INMO, the answer is that there are not three, but there is one Giovanni Vizza. And Daniel Meager still holds the single game record for passing yards.......601. And I believe that game was his first full start.

I’m pretty sure Meager was tapped to be the starter in the opener of both the 2005 and 2006 seasons.

As far as where Beam ranks among UNT quarterbacks over the last 15 years. I think it is laughable to compare him to anyone other than Dajon Williams because no quarterback in that time span to my recollection had his first start against FCS competition. Y’all come back and tell us how great he is after he throws 3 picks against the phonies.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

43 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I’m pretty sure Meager was tapped to be the starter in the opener of both the 2005 and 2006 seasons.

As far as where Beam ranks among UNT quarterbacks over the last 15 years. I think it is laughable to compare him to anyone other than Dajon Williams because no quarterback in that time span to my recollection had his first start against FCS competition. Y’all come back and tell us how great he is after he throws 3 picks against the phonies.

You going to come on here and tell everyone you were wrong when he has a good game against SMU?

I don"t recall one post were anyone has stated that Bean is a top QB in NT history.  It is only laughable if someone actually said it. 

A lot including me stated he had a great first game as starter.  

I highly doubt anyone thinks Bean and/or NT offense will come remotely close again to the numbers against HBU.

Bean to me looked like a deer in the headlights in his few appearances before this year.  He looked much better even accounting for the competition than I expected.  

How he will perform the rest of the year is anyone's guess.  I do expect SMU coaches are a lot more concerned about NT's offense  than they were before the first week of play. 

I also believe that Fine's first start was against that juggernaut Bethune-Cookman.  Maybe they were in the SEC back than.  

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

I really liked Bean’s performance and there is something about his added dimension that has to entice Seth and concern SMU.  I had no idea what we would even see in game one post Fine and with the circumstances. I want to beat the Pony’s for sure, but either way I am looking forward to the growth of these quarterbacks. This is a different animal coming into Denton in a couple of weeks and the whole team including Bean and Aune and whoever plays QB will grow from it.  I want to see progress and there will be some bumps and bruises along the way but the guys will be stronger by conference. 

With that said this could be lining up to be great for the Mean Green. The Ponies don’t know who to game plan for exactly. Bean can offer some high risk high reward options that other quarterbacks can’t. Seth knows he must take some risks while adding in some trickery with a young team and solid squad across the line. If we keep this close or win and get the quarterbacks rich experience, I will consider it a great night!

GMG

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

You going to come on here and tell everyone you were wrong when he has a good game against SMU?

I don"t recall one post were anyone has stated that Bean is a top QB in NT history.  It is only laughable if someone actually said it. 

A lot including me stated he had a great first game as starter.  

I highly doubt anyone thinks Bean and/or NT offense will come remotely close again to the numbers against HBU.

Bean to me looked like a deer in the headlights in his few appearances before this year.  He looked much better even accounting for the competition than I expected.  

How he will perform the rest of the year is anyone's guess.  I do expect SMU coaches are a lot more concerned about NT's offense  than they were before the first week of play. 

I also believe that Fine's first start was against that juggernaut Bethune-Cookman.  Maybe they were in the SEC back than.  

I would love to come on here and say I was wrong if he has a good game against SMU. I hope he does.

Also, you got me on the Mason Fine deal, I kept thinking SMU but Alec Morris started that game.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

7 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Y’all really gotta stop with this. A Mike Canales led offense put 500 yards on them last season. Let’s see if they can produce against a live FBS defense before we crown anyone.
fastliquidiguanodon.gif

I’ve seen this show before.

Two things strike me rewatching this:

1) how many of those guys didn’t finish their eligibility here: Kidsy, Dajon, Sir Calvin, Ivory, Harris.

2) lots of pressure, multiple sacks, multiple INTs (including two pick-sixes), two blocked punts, three strong punt returns (including a TD). Admittedly Nichols was a far worse team than HBU, but didn’t see any of that last game. 

• Upvote 2

Saw a couple of references that Bean “floated” a pass or two. Please don’t confuse a floated long pass as a bad pass. Bean’s long balls are almost always thrown extremely high. Was a thing of beauty in high school;  as his receivers often ran right under them.  He will continue to get better. My only concern is can he take a hit. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

16 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Can’t remember the last time we had a QB with Bean’s sprinters speed.
I concur with those on GMG who said they’d  like to see #5 zoom the short-to-middle range passes more  as to prevent Pick 6 interceptions against better FBS competition. 
SMU will be a stiff test—Houston even moreso, but that is what I believe we’re recruiting toward with as good a venues versus those we recruit against.

GMG!

PS:  GrayEagle, I was looking for you where Silver Eagle says your usually sit.  Were you at Apogee last evening?

Yes, I was.  I was moved from 206 to 208.  Still on fourth row but now on the 25 where I was on the 45.  They were going to leave me in 206 but move me to the twentieth row.  I'm still recuperating from a broken hip and I couldn't climb that high.  

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Can’t remember the last time we had a QB with Bean’s sprinters speed.
I concur with those on GMG who said they’d  like to see #5 zoom the short-to-middle range passes more  as to prevent Pick 6 interceptions against better FBS competition. 
SMU will be a stiff test—Houston even moreso, but that is what I believe we’re recruiting toward with as good a venues versus those we recruit against.

GMG!

PS:  GrayEagle, I was looking for you where Silver Eagle says your usually sit.  Were you at Apogee last evening?

Yes, I was.  I was moved from 206 to 208.  Still on fourth row but now on the 25 where I was on the 45.  They were going to leave me in 206 but move me to the twentieth row.  I'm still recuperating from a broken hip and I couldn't climb that high.  

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, GrayEagle said:

Sorry I missed sighting you.
A Belated Happy Birthday.  🎂 

• Thanks 1