Why no more love for Bean?

meangreen11

Name 3 QB's in the last 15 years better than Bean. Mason is a gimme.  D. Thompson maybe. Anyone else? 

He will suffer by comparison this year, but he is head and shoulders better than almost anything we've had. He will just continue to get better. 

Edited by UNT86
  • Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 3

28 minutes ago, UNT86 said:

Name 3 QB's in the last 15 years better than Bean. Mason is a gimme.  D. Thompson maybe. Anyone else? 

He will suffer by comparison this year, but he is head and shoulders better than almost anything we've had. He will just continue to get better. 

Fine, Thompson, and .....

Giovanni Vizza

Bean had a fine first start, and I think he did enough to get the start against SMU. But, some of those big throws he completed will be picks against FBS caliber secondaries. He has to be more disciplined, and make smarter choices with the ball.

• Upvote 3

I am happy they made a decision for a real starter. I like Bean, but I would also have been ok with Aune. Considering this was his first full start, I thought it was quite nice. The decision was necessary. And unless he starts making many boneheaded mistakes he should be given some rope.

Against a number of other teams some of those throws might have been picks. But they were not in this game, and you can't really punish him for almost mistakes that ended up going for TDs. Doesn't mean  we can't be worried about it.

That said, even Mason threw a lot more picks in his first year than in the subsequent ones. Its just at that time we had been so starved for even decent QB play, we were very willing to forgive. Now the expectations are way different. That is mostly a good thing. But it can be overdone.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 7

I thought Bean looked good for the most part. He did make a few throws to the flat/quick out that probably should have been picked.

His running ability is definitely dynamic. I think Littrell actually moved fast yesterday for the first time in 5 years. Made Bean's job easier with the quick reads

I am concerned he'll turn the ball over more against FBS competition but I didn't get enough of Aune to really tell if he'll be any better.

I don't care who starts as long as we keep winning

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, UNT86 said:

tenor.gif

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Greendylan said:

I mean, I have a lot of faith in the guy, but if we are rating QBs after one start, then Dajon Williams was better.

This!

It's one start against a much less talented team with some very questionable throws that would not have worked against better competition.  He did look much better than any other time I've seen him but lets not put him in the UNT HoF just yet. 

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

Can’t remember the last time we had a QB with Bean’s sprinters speed.
I concur with those on GMG who said they’d  like to see #5 zoom the short-to-middle range passes more  as to prevent Pick 6 interceptions against better FBS competition. 
SMU will be a stiff test—Houston even moreso, but that is what I believe we’re recruiting toward with as good a venues versus those we recruit against.

GMG!

PS:  GrayEagle, I was looking for you where Silver Eagle says your usually sit.  Were you at Apogee last evening?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

You obviously looked up the stats before coming up with the number 3.  INMO, the answer is that there are not three, but there is one Giovanni Vizza. And Daniel Meager still holds the single game record for passing yards.......601. And I believe that game was his first full start.

Nope. Just remember how great he played before leaving Dodge's program. Aside from Medoza's defense, those were some great games.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

So 220 less yards than last night?

Yes 220 less than UNT put on them this year but also 225 more than UTEP put on our defense last year. I’m sure you and everyone else were very high on our defense last year which is why Ref is still with us. I hope you are catching the sarcasm. 

The point is that HBU’s defense is pathetic, even worse than ours was last year. When a terrible offense like Canales’ puts up 500 yards on somebody, you know that defense is trash. Now if wet put any where close to 700 yards up on SMU I will eat my words. Heck, if put up over 500 and win the game I will eat my words but at this point no quarterback on this team has proved anything except that they could be a great FCS quarterback while throwing to FBS receivers. The next game will be the first time we really learn something useful about this team.

• Eye Roll 1

10 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Yes 220 less than UNT put on them this year but also 225 more than UTEP put on our defense last year. I’m sure you and everyone else were very high on our defense last year which is why Ref is still with us. I hope you are catching the sarcasm. 

The point is that HBU’s defense is pathetic, even worse than ours was last year. When a terrible offense like Canales’ puts up 500 yards on somebody, you know that defense is trash. Now if wet put any where close to 700 yards up on SMU I will eat my words. Heck, if put up over 500 and win the game I will eat my words but at this point no quarterback on this team has proved anything except that they could be a great FCS quarterback while throwing to FBS receivers. The next game will be the first time we really learn something useful about this team.

I guess I don't understand what we SHOULD have done

900 yards?

what should TTech do next week?

Edited by TheColonyEagle