SMU

emmitt01

Watch out for this guy next week.

Rice fit that mold in his 2020 opener against Texas State. He caught five passes from veteran quarterback Shane Buechele, averaging over 20 yards per reception to finish with 101 yards. He’ll serve as SMU’s primary deep threat going forward, and given Buechele’s arm talent, Rice could be poised to author the stat sheet. He found success lining up both in the slot and on the ends, and the sophomore is fit to play a vital role this season in gaining precious yards after receptions.

• Confused 1

I have often wondered why so many sportswriters want to see greatness in SMU, even ignoring history (outside of the pre-death penalty years) to do so.  

I never realized so many of our fans were willing to do the same.  

They beat Texas State by 30 last year, scoring more than this year and holding TSU to less points than this year.  Yet, somehow, when they line up against us they will magically be every bit the team they were last year???

We’re so eager to denigrate our own squad that we’re willing to over-inflate the competition to do so. donald trump alex acosta GIF

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 4
  • Ray 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

On 9/6/2020 at 11:24 AM, SMUleopold said:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I told people at the end of last season that we were going to 'live by the sword, die by the sword.'  TSU, TCU, ECU, Tulane have all loaded up on transfers, and it looks like ya'll have taken advantage, too.  

It's going to work and every school in Texas should be licking their chops at the available talent that could be coming their way. 

QB experience on the D1 field will be a big factor,   Buechele and the little ponies have that right now.

Edited by cogido
Sp

On 9/6/2020 at 11:23 PM, untjim1995 said:

But another issue we have appears to be completely mental. I think the team and staff really feel how much this game means to us. And when things go bad, it’s as if the pressure they feel gets raised even higher, thus leading to mistakes.

Maybe this will help then? I don't care that much about beating SMU. I'd much rather beat La. Tech. & FAU

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

I got this pic from SMU’s student newspaper.  Are all schools playing during CV-19 required to wear plastic masks on their helmets similar to SMU? 

A61C24B9-F6AC-42C8-8325-CF32538EB0FC.jpeg.c9f7943e09c0fee93ca0b56abfdaadf0.jpeg

SMU was the only team I’ve heard so far that is wearing plastic mouth guards too. 

81DF2F3C-C179-4A71-888B-40A78792F923.jpeg

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, Aldo said:

Not going to lie but those SMU helmets are sick and I hate myself 

You should. Still hate that we can shut them up on a consistent basis. Interesting thing is last year during the coaches caravan (I believe) WB said let’s take over Dallas....then these came out, my point is they act like they don’t care about North Texas but they do and they hate losing to us. 

Edited by Salsa_Verde

On 9/8/2020 at 2:08 PM, SMUleopold said:

No.  To my knowledge the football team hasn't had a single reported case. 

You’d been proud of me, SMUleopold. I once yelled for the “Stangs at the 1968 Astro-Bluebonnet Bowl game.

It was Hayden Fry’s SMU team who beat Chuck Fairbank’s OU Sooners in a game almost as exciting as the Boise St./OU game at the Fiesta Bowl several yrs ago.  

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I'm a bit late to this, but we can't let this game be any type of sign to us.  SMU is still a really good team and I think Texas State is as well.  Memphis transfer at QB and Arizona State transfer at RB, both are sophomores too. 

Texas State is pretty similar to us in that there really isn't any reason they shouldn't be able to be one of the better teams in their conference year after year with some of the 3rd tier Texas HS players.  If they can get a good coach in there and maintain solid QB play, and it appears they have both right now, we might start having to compete with another team for recruits in state.

• Upvote 1