SMU

emmitt01

1 minute ago, emmitt01 said:

I have read post after post about how the SMU juggernaut is going to destroy us based on last night’s performance by our team against HBU.  

Would that be the same SMU that squeaked out a 10 point win against Texas State (that was honestly far closer until VERY late in the game)? Texas State was 3-9 last year, got routinely blown out, and beat the same HBU team we just played by 9.  

Last night’s game told me a grand total of nothing about the rest of the season for our team.  Bean is fast (not Aune “quick” but legitimately FAST).  Both quarterbacks missed some throws.  The defense kept it very basic against an overmatched team.  The offense ran very basic rushing plays and took big gains when our receivers overmatched their corners.  Our backups saw significant time.  

SMU is going to be a tough game...but they didn’t become Clemson over the off-season

I agree, people probably need to chill out a bit. I think if we can stop the run like Texas State did and rush 4 at all time to keep Buechele off balanced, then we should be able to compete and probably win depending on how the offense performs.

• Upvote 4

Last year SMU was much larger than us across the board a huge increase from the year before. They found the beef it seems. I have not seen a noticeable increase in size on our team across the board. Most of the time we look small.  That is my worry,  that said I did not see SMU's game yesterday.

33 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

I have read post after post about how the SMU juggernaut is going to destroy us based on last night’s performance by our team against HBU.  

Would that be the same SMU that squeaked out a 10 point win against Texas State (that was honestly far closer until VERY late in the game)? Texas State was 3-9 last year, got routinely blown out, and beat the same HBU team we just played by 9.  

Last night’s game told me a grand total of nothing about the rest of the season for our team.  Bean is fast (not Aune “quick” but legitimately FAST).  Both quarterbacks missed some throws.  The defense kept it very basic against an overmatched team.  The offense ran very basic rushing plays and took big gains when our receivers overmatched their corners.  Our backups saw significant time.  

SMU is going to be a tough game...but they didn’t become Clemson over the off-season

Sure Bean had some missed some throws, but also Bean hadn’t started a game ever and it was good to see some accuracy when Bean got more into the groove.

Of course we will see the real test against SMU, but I have some confidence in the QB. Now Oline and Defense? Not really

• Upvote 1

I think we were able to keep it very basic on both sides during our game. I think SMU went in overconfident and before they knew it they were in a fight and ended up showing more than they wanted to. Not sure if this will be a wake-up call for them. I do worry because I believe Shane B can get hot and they do have good receivers. Based on our D, if last night was an indication, they could score 50+. On Offense we put up a lot of yards and points but it's hard to tell based on the competition. I think if Bean puts as much loft/float on the balls against SMU we could see multiple turnovers. Guessing we would like to focus on the run against SMU, but if we cannot hold them down from scoring we will have to pass more and that could be trouble.

Side Note - Credit to Texas State. It looks like they are following the same building plan as SMU and loading up with transfers. I thought they said, counting JCs they added over 30 transfers the past couple of years.

• Upvote 6
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

32 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Side Note - Credit to Texas State. It looks like they are following the same building plan as SMU and loading up with transfers. I thought they said, counting JCs they added over 30 transfers the past couple of years.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I told people at the end of last season that we were going to 'live by the sword, die by the sword.'  TSU, TCU, ECU, Tulane have all loaded up on transfers, and it looks like ya'll have taken advantage, too.  

It's going to work and every school in Texas should be licking their chops at the available talent that could be coming their way. 

• Upvote 6

14 minutes ago, SMUleopold said:

I told people at the end of last season that we were going to 'live by the sword, die by the sword.'  TSU, TCU, ECU, Tulane have all loaded up on transfers, and it looks like ya'll have taken advantage, too.  

It's going to work and every school in Texas should be licking their chops at the available talent that could be coming their way. 

Do y’all find it easier to pay for transfers?

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • Downvote 1

Our defense is awful, slow to the ball and couldn't break through their line; we were twice as big as their team, they were tiny! Offence is fine, but the quarterbacks are not accurate enough, anyone can throw a long ball with the receiver wide open. We better be a lot better against SMU or we're in trouble. Watch out for the slant across the middle from SMU, killed us last year, our defense doesn't look any faster. Texas State, has half our talent and speed; their coach was brilliant, had a great game plan. Texas State is much smaller than UNT, but they were coach well and every player was in the right position all day. If the our defense can pressure the QB, we might have a chance. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

12 hours ago, KingDL1 said:

Last year SMU was much larger than us across the board a huge increase from the year before. They found the beef it seems. I have not seen a noticeable increase in size on our team across the board. Most of the time we look small.  That is my worry,  that said I did not see SMU's game yesterday.

Being good is what matters.   This is not jr high, size is not a major factor.  Besides NT has more than enough size.  

Any college team can fill their rosters with 300 lb linemen, 250 lb linebackers, 6'5 QB's etc.  That doesn't mean they can beat any team. 

Obviously, there would be advantages playing against undersized teams, but nearly all teams have size.   The only exception I can think of are the service academies and they are rarely pushed around by any team. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

We aren’t as good as SMU, but we can beat them in Denton if Buechele has a bad game. 

When SMU has a good passing attack, they’ve killed us. When they haven’t, we have killed them. 

But another issue we have appears to be completely mental. I think the team and staff really feel how much this game means to us. And when things go bad, it’s as if the pressure they feel gets raised even higher, thus leading to mistakes. SMU players probably feel that way when they play TCU, but it isn’t that way against us.

I think SMU will score a lot this week against us and probably win easily. And the board will melt down. But Dykes is a damn good coach and he’s been around the block a time or two. He will see the same defense, talent-wise, as last year. Buechele will have to throw it to us a lot for us to beat them. It’s pretty much that simple.

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

One thing I did see against HBU was our DB looking at the qb,   It seemed last year our db were only looking at the receivers and how no idea when the ball was thrown.  I bet we see a lot of short passes again from SMUT.  HBU showed great success from it.  SMUT also has a speedy reciever who Dykes says is the fastest player he has ever coached.  We will have our hands full and we cant just hope to outscore them.  I still have nightmares from Sutton that guy owned us.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I will say.....I know we don't have any control over this, but i would rather go into Ford with 8,000 people instead of Apogee with 8,000.

30,000 at Apogee really does make a difference. We won't have the noise.

How would we know that?

Edited by golfingomez
  • Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Marty said:

Texas State put up 226 yards rushing. With our stable of RBs, we should easily eclipse that. Ball control & keep their offense off the field as much as possible.

Based on the talent of the offensive skill positions on both sides of the ball both teams went with a 3 man front in the first half, daring the other team to throw the ball and begging them to run it.  As a result they had 158 yards rushing in the first half but only a third of that in the second after we made adjustments.  Also, we run a 4-3 and don't have the personnel to pull off a 3-4 like we were trying, so whatever, we got out of the game with the win. 

We'll most likely go back to the 4-3 against ya'll and hopefully we improve on the angles and form tackling - Covid seems to have affected that and conditioning more than anything. 

12 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

That profile picture is very interesting 

Yes. 

Yes it is. 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, SMUleopold said:

SMUleopold, we are  so ready to lick our chops; especially with more linemen on both sides of the ball, but I bet that a common need for all at the G-5 level.  

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1