Game thoughts

meangreen11

8 minutes ago, Withers940 said:

The Defense looked bad, no pressure at all ! Didn’t seem like we blitz a whole bunch but I probably missed it

They threw so many quick swing passes and dinks that blitzing would not work and leave us exposed in the open. That type of offense is hard to get to the QB. Play discipline defense and don’t let them get away from you. We did let that happen 3-4 times. They threw +60 passes. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, ihavenoname said:

I actually came out of that thinking Aune was the better QB. His passes looked a lot more solid and it seems like Bean has a bit of a noodle arm. Bean looked really good, but he also got away with a lot of stuff that he normally wouldn't. Our recievers are so good that their DBs were just overmatched. That performance reminded me of that one game that Dajon had that had us thinking he was going to be amazing (not saying Bean is Dajon at all - Bean actually seems to have a good head and work ethic) 

Exactly. Bean's athletic ability shined, but on several of his early throws he threw behind the receivers. A more talented defense will eat that up. On most of his deep balls they were short and our receivers made him look good (their DB's were out matched). It looked like he was running for his life (O-line is still a problem). The run game wasn't great early on.

Aune seemed much more composed and accurate. His deep balls weren't short and his short/intermediate passes had more zip on them. The O-line was still not good at this point in pass protection, but they had started to wear down the HBU D-line and Addaway and the true freshman thrived. 

The Defense, was vanilla (I hope in an effort to not give away anything to SMU) . Zappy was good. Unless we are able to get a push with our D-line it is going to be a long year. On paper, the pieces are good but they haven't put it together yet. 

Martin looked good in mop up duty. He is as good as the top two, minus their athletic ability.

Conclusion-- Bean did nothing to lose the starting job. O-line and Defense are still bad (really no push up front makes everyone else on D look bad). 

Prediction- Aune will come on in relief of Bean (to many turnovers) in the SMU game and will become the full time starter.

Edited by UNT Family Man
spelling
  • Upvote 3
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Eye Roll 2

What I say from last night game:  

Defense has a long way to go.  No pressure on the qb and this was HBU.   

Defense backs are looking back this year though.  

It will be another look year unless the defense steps up.

We need to learn to cover the slant pattern, the deep ball and the behind the line pass.  What I noticed last night on the behind the line pass was HBU were having no trouble blocking or DB and springing the receiver.  One play our guy got knocked on his ass.  Not a good look.

We gave up 30 to HBU.

Offense:

Bean got away with some bad passes, our receivers were to much for DB of HBU and gave space for some not so great passes.

Stiggers did not look like himself last night.

Adaway look really good.  Torrey has some nice runs.

I would trade both or QBS for the HBU quarterback.

DJ

sucked

Atmosphere:

Without the band, bigger crowd it felt like a scrimmage,   Not sure how focused the team was last night many fans yelling at the players and the players looking into the crowd.   

I will update my prediction to 4-7 this year.    SMUT will once a again destroy us at home.  

Edited by southsideguy
  • Skeptical Eagle 3
  • Eye Roll 1

Some good thoughts:

O-Line had good pass protection and good run blocking In the 2nd half

Receivers are the real deal

Defense played way better in the 2nd half (until the starters were pulled)

Novil was a beast but their scheme countered him pretty well (quick passes)

I thought Bean and Aune played relatively well 

Some bad thoughts:

Defense looked like Swiss cheese in the first half

QB’s played well but had some questionable throws 

Defense didn’t generate any turnovers

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, ihavenoname said:

I actually came out of that thinking Aune was the better QB. His passes looked a lot more solid and it seems like Bean has a bit of a noodle arm. Bean looked really good, but he also got away with a lot of stuff that he normally wouldn't. Our recievers are so good that their DBs were just overmatched. That performance reminded me of that one game that Dajon had that had us thinking he was going to be amazing (not saying Bean is Dajon at all - Bean actually seems to have a good head and work ethic) 

I was thinking the same thing, and it looked like Bean had more air under those passes. A faster Defense is going to pick him off from what I saw on TV, maybe it was an angle to camera thing at least I hope. 

The defensive line could not get off the line of scrimmage except for Novil who was also double teamed. Our big JUCO signing McRae was invisible except for a penalty.

The corners playing so far off the line is so frustrating but I guess when you don’t have speed got to protect against the deep ball.

Unfortunately the defense is going to give up lots of points again. No takeaways again It’s a trend continued from last season.

Why do the running backs just run up the middle all the time?  Running outside would help some times.

I may be the only one but Bean looks and plays like a poor mans Jordan Love.  Obviously needs some work and a lot of experience.  Also he needs to step into throws was throwing a lot off the back foot.  The athletic ability is exciting like on the TD run!

Attaway looks really really good!  I would feel bad for Siggers and Torrey but gotta make him the starter.  Don’t waste this talent.

Darden is so fun to watch!  Feed him as much as possible!

Was Zack Williams named the starting kicker?  Thought Ethan Mooney was the guy?

• Upvote 5

10 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

Why did Blake Patterson leave UNT for HBU?

He wanted to punt?  Seriously, I think it was a grades issue as he went JUCO and then HBU.

We need Kenny Buyers and James Jones to come back and teach our corners how to jump those quick outs and make a tackle at the time of the reception. 

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Well what a game last night! There is still a lot of things to work on and rust to knock off on the defense and O line.

Luckily we get a bye week to prepare, but SMU gets a bye to prepare and get even more mad since they don’t play tcu...

I gotta admit, I was surprised by what Bean did even if it was a horrid secondary. Seemed to have more confidence than Aune, but we will see how he actually is against Smu. 
Im more worried about the secondary and the amount of open space HBU had. SMU is so quick on the outside, they’ll torch us if we keep being in a softer coverage.

I’m still in shock we couldn’t get past the HBU Oline when we were nearly one head taller and bigger. That’s a big concern, but at the same time it looked like when we rushed 3 to 4 nothing would happen but when we rush 6 we can’t wrap up the QB with all of the chances we had.

Lets hope we are FIRED UP on the 19th

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

21 minutes ago, cjones said:

The defensive line could not get off the line of scrimmage except for Novil who was also double teamed. Our big JUCO signing McRae was invisible except for a penalty.

The corners playing so far off the line is so frustrating but I guess when you don’t have speed got to protect against the deep ball.

Unfortunately the defense is going to give up lots of points again. No takeaways again It’s a trend continued from last season.

Why do the running backs just run up the middle all the time?  Running outside would help some times.

I may be the only one but Bean looks and plays like a poor mans Jordan Love.  Obviously needs some work and a lot of experience.  Also he needs to step into throws was throwing a lot off the back foot.  The athletic ability is exciting like on the TD run!

Attaway looks really really good!  I would feel bad for Siggers and Torrey but gotta make him the starter.  Don’t waste this talent.

Darden is so fun to watch!  Feed him as much as possible!

Was Zack Williams named the starting kicker?  Thought Ethan Mooney was the guy?

And Williams missed a PAT... really wondering why Mooney never saw the field 

36 minutes ago, MeanGreen2019 said:

Some good thoughts:

O-Line had good pass protection and good run blocking In the 2nd half

Receivers are the real deal

Defense played way better in the 2nd half (until the starters were pulled)

Novil was a beast but their scheme countered him pretty well (quick passes)

I thought Bean and Aune played relatively well 

Some bad thoughts:

Defense looked like Swiss cheese in the first half

QB’s played well but had some questionable throws 

Defense didn’t generate any turnovers

A main part of this defense needs to be takeaways, and we had one on a terrible throw by that “good” QB Zappe

13 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

We had one that didn’t count. Out of his 62 passes that did count, we didn’t pick off any.

Ohhh that's right they called it back. That was during the stretch where they made the game last 20 minutes longer than it should've

I didn't watch until the 2nd half but what I did see concerns me.  No defense.  This was Houston Baptist, a relative new program, who started FCS football just a few years ago.  Our line play is concerning.

On the bright side, I was glad to see Adaway finally get his chance and he did not disappoint at all.  FCS competition or not.  He's going to be fun to watch.