This is the offense we’ve been waiting on

TheColonyEagle

Now, That’s a really bad defense we played. But we treated them like a really bad defense. This is what we’ve been waiting to see that we’ve been told is coming. 

offense with pace, balanced, scored points. 

I don’t remember seeing us go this fast the past few years. We had over 700 yards, 300+ rushing, 57 points 

again, that’s a bad defense we just played but we actually treated them like one....

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Now, That’s a really bad defense we played. But we treated them like a really bad defense. This is what we’ve been waiting to see that we’ve been told is coming. 

offense with pace, balanced, scored points. 

I don’t remember seeing us go this fast the past few years. We had over 700 yards, 300+ rushing, 57 points 

again, that’s a bad defense we just played but we actually treated them like one....

I think you should wait until after we play an FBS level program. Our run blocking looked too much like last year's o-line, ad a few pf those passes would be picked off by FBS secondaries. This offense has some work to do. But, compared to Bowen's defense, the offense was impressive.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I want to see the results of the SMU game. I don't want to offend HBU viewers but our offense should have walked all over their D, which we did for the most part. I have concerns about our own D. I think Shane could torch us.  He's a great QB, NFL caliber in my opinion. The SMU game will be a shootout. I don't think our fledgling defense is ready for the kind of passing proficiency of Buechele.  We could barely contain a good FCS QB.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Side Show Joe said:

I think you should wait until after we play an FBS level program. Our run blocking looked too much like last year's o-line, ad a few pf those passes would be picked off by FBS secondaries. This offense has some work to do. But, compared to Bowen's defense, the offense was impressive.

Just finished watching the first half and all I can say based on that is this not a good football team. The QBs looked terrible and nervous and lost. Bean was really bad and under throws are going to result in a ton of INTs this year. Defense was also bad. Not impressed. Looking forward to seeing improvements in the second half. 

• Upvote 6
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 5

7 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Just finished watching the first half and all I can say based on that is this not a good football team. The QBs looked terrible and nervous and lost. Bean was really bad and under throws are going to result in a ton of INTs this year. Defense was also bad. Not impressed. Looking forward to seeing improvements in the second half. 

The ^^^^^ positive is we have plenty to work on. 

So, the Offense sets an all-time record and somehow we played terrible.

The QBs were 21/34 for 361 yards, 4 TDs, 1 int (which was a good grab). If this had been last year with Mason we would have talked about how good of a game he had

I guess records don't mean as much as they used to.

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

That's gomeangreen.com for ya!

Yup - We run up the score on a team we are supposed to blow out of the water, their 2nd string  no less and we are going bowling but if SMU destroys us and then the sky will falling.  Followed with what is going on we did so great against our first opponent, but if they had only read between the lines and realized what was plainly obvious.

Let me 2nd El Paso Eagle here.  Sometimes I can't believe what I read on GMG.  Scoring 57 points and setting a school record with 700+ yards in total offense (perfectly balanced between rushing and passing BTW) is "terrible" and you weren't impressed.   What exactly would impress you?  700 yards passing from Bean and 8 TD's?  If a record setting offensive night is lame for you, I'm sorry but you're going to have a miserable season.

Edited by vpackrats
  • Upvote 5

LMAO lets see how more negative can you be! 

1 hour ago, vpackrats said:

Let me 2nd El Paso Eagle here.  Sometimes I can't believe what I read on GMG.  Scoring 57 points and setting a school record with 700+ yards in total offense (perfectly balanced between rushing and passing BTW) is "terrible" and you weren't impressed.   What exactly would impress you?  700 yards passing from Bean and 8 TD's?  If a record setting offensive night is lame for you, I'm sorry but you're going to have a miserable season.

Way too early to make a final decision (and I'm not sure how good HBU d-line is), but I'm not real confident in our ability to pick up a 3rd and 1 via the run. 

Hopefully we were being conservative in our calling, so maybe it will open up more in the future,  but we didn't show much ability to move them out.  I don't recall any of the up the middle "scrum" piles ever getting pushed forward for a couple of yards.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, meaniegreenie said:

Way too early to make a final decision (and I'm not sure how good HBU d-line is), but I'm not real confident in our ability to pick up a 3rd and 1 via the run. 

The announcers said the two HBU linebackers were the best in the conference.  They had some big guys on the lines as well.  I was impressed with HBU.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

So, the Offense sets an all-time record and somehow we played terrible.

The QBs were 21/34 for 361 yards, 4 TDs, 1 int (which was a good grab). If this had been last year with Mason we would have talked about how good of a game he had

I guess records don't mean as much as they used to.

Did you read the post? It was about the first half. It was 23-10, Bean was under throwing passes and had thrown a pick. The running game seemed somewhat stuck in the mud.

I then said I was looking forward to second half improvements. They scored 34 and the running game exploded, so...

• Upvote 1

Thinking about the game more....I have a thought about this offense without Mason Fine....

We've played a lot worse teams than HBU....we've never put up offensive numbers like we did. I know it's one game. We could go get shut out against SMU....who knows.

But if last night was an indication of what they're going to try to do....pick up the pace, balanced approach, protect the QB, have the QB protect himself by getting the ball out so fast (Fine often held the ball too long), use our big receivers (yes, you should be able to "float" the ball up when you have big receivers like we have) and utilized Bean's speed (I think he'll run more as the season goes)......This offense can actually be better without Fine.

The reason I think this: I think we depended on Fine too much. It was like we just sat back and expected him to recreate "the drive" all the time. Plus with the Fine for Heisman stuff (which I get marketing for the school, etc), we put it all on his shoulders and then didn't protect him. And he didn't have the skill set that Bean or Aune have for running. Plus he wasn't 100% all year...

I think not having the greatest QB in our program's history back there opens up a lot of opportunities for the offense as a whole. I still say there were times we should've put Bean in the game on 3rd or 4th and shorts last year but you don't do that with you HOF QB.

I'm not saying our QBs will be better than Fine but our overall offense can actually be better without Fine.

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 4