9/5 Houston Baptist vs North Texas

Pavlovs Eagle

3 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

23603CED-F658-4CB1-B926-BED27FFDC212.thumb.jpeg.1b7ca440c827404f7b26626e486d5a03.jpeg   ✳️ I took this pic at beginning of 2’nd quarter.  Considering all things—not a bad show from fans.  The club level seating looks fairly packed.

Question - I thought mask were required inside the stadium? Crowd shots showed a lot of people not wearing them

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Question - I thought mask were required inside the stadium? Crowd shots showed a lot of people not wearing them

Most of the college games on Saturday and Thursday night featured people not wearing their face masks.  I think the eating and drinking happening was a contributing factor, as well as it being incredibly humid since it rained 30 minutes before gametime.

There's always the Beer Face Mask though... With NCAA approved licensing it would only cost 85 or 90 dollars!

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Green Crazy said:

This game was disappointing defense, QB play and OL.

I guess a record total offense yards was just not enough offense.

If you didn't appreciate Bean's first start at QB, I question your football judgement.

The defense was bad, but did improve during the game until the subs took over. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

4 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

He's below that based on tonight considering we saw Siggers, Torrey, Adaway, I. Johnson and E. Johnson.  I always had high hopes for him.

That is tough for him. But literally all of those guys looked decent to outright great, so I'd say it is less because of his quality than because of everyone elses. Definitely the deepest position NT has right now.

• Upvote 3

As for the defense:

The stats look bad...but HBU does have a really good offense and a really good QB. 

However I think the D gives me a little hope. They got a lot of yards between the 20s but we held them out of the end zone, tackling was VERY good. I don't think I saw a missed tackle until late in the game. They adjusted after HBU started strong and a lot of their yards and 2 of those TDs came after the game was out of hand and their starting QB was still in against what had to be 3rd and 4th stringers...

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

If you didn't appreciate Bean's first start at QB, I question your football judgement.

Was thinking the same thing. First game in the post Fine era, shortened and modified fall camp,and we set an all-time record. We even used a lot of backups. And don't say "look at who we played" because we have played worse teams before.

Was very happy to see Seth play multiple QBs. IMO not having backups ready during Mason's time was one of our biggest downfalls.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

61% completion from Bean is worrisome against that team in my opinion. There were a couple of deep balls that he threw up there and our receivers made plays on them (white touchdown is one and I think shorter had one) and against better talent at best they are incomplete, probably intercepted.  Those inflate his numbers in a good way.  It was his first start, so I will cut him a little slack.  However, he's a red shirt sophomore and it was HBU, so not much.  He definitely looked better that Aune though.  Also, I think the play calling for him was weird and if they would have let him run a bit more it would have helped him out.  Maybe they didn't want to get him banged up.

The offensive line was creating nothing in the run game for a majority of the game.  A few long runs inflated the rushing number to looking good.

All I'm saying is the offense looked worrisome and the defense got one sack and no turnovers. Someone else has said it already, but this game reminded me of ACU from last year and we know what last year turned into. 

Some bright spots were the receivers and Addaway and Torrey. 

Edited by Green Crazy
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

11 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I'll say this, it was so humid you could cut open the air with a knife... so hard to wear a mask mainly on the student side when the sun was in their faces for a quarter or so.

Also, it seemed the seating enforcement was taken lightly 

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Was thinking the same thing. First game in the post Fine era, shortened and modified fall camp,and we set an all-time record. We even used a lot of backups. And don't say "look at who we played" because we have played worse teams before.

Was very happy to see Seth play multiple QBs. IMO not having backups ready during Mason's time was one of our biggest downfalls.

Every team has had to deal with the shortened practice schedule, so I'm not sure if that's worth mentioning.   Their offense looked good and Marshall's looked great and they were starting a freshman at QB.  Maybe if the defense played better I'd feel different.  Hopefully I'm wrong, wouldn't be the first time.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, greenminer said:

Based on initial impressions, what is the difference from last year?

The Baylor offense throws the ball down the field as seen last night. There is not as much pressure placed on the QB as was done with Mason in Bodies offense last year. It is all about mismatches and the run game is very important in this offense ---that is why Bloesch is here.

We also played fast which will help us in the long run. I believe these coaches are fundamentally sound and we will see this as the year progresses. Remember they will get better as games are played . We have a new team---defense changed as well as having  new offense and QB-- and not having Spring Ball will hurt at first.

We will see next game how things go. 

Bean has unbelievable athletic ability and decent arm . Aune is athletic and stronger then Bean. 

Aune has the better arm  but Bean had a better Fall practice. 

I believe we will see both of them early in our next game unless Bean gets on a roll and can't be stop.

I think and hope we will make great strides from our first game to our second game with SMU. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

What was Fine's completion rate in his first game ever?

I think his first call came when he needed to relieve the xfer QB. IIRC he led the team on a scoring drive and the keys to the Mean Green offense were permanently his.

EDIT: it was SMU, and Mason was 8-11 with zero TDS. Following game was Bethune-Cookman and Mason was 11-22 0TDs.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2020 at 12:26 AM, GrandGreen said:

Do you see now? If not I question your football judgement. 🙂

• Eye Roll 1