C-USA scores 9/5

14 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Good gracious Marshall up 52-0 at the end of 3

MTSU getting slaughtered by Army 28-0... I'll say it now, O'Hara is OVERRATED

I recently rewatched our game from last season and had forgotten that he didn’t even finish that game. It was their backup QBs that almost won it for them. 

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I know it's not CUSA, but watching the SMU vs Texas State game.

Observation - I can understand SMU putting "Dallas" instead of SMU on their jerseys for home games, but doing it for road games? I could not imagine UNT putting "Denton" or TCU putting "Fort Worth". I guess they either finally realizing that "SMU" is not something most people think highly of. Must be bad if you are trying to disassociate your team form your school. 

Ok, I upvoted that "comment", but there's more to than that, as SMU is not located in Dallas, although they have some minor facilities within the Dallas city limits. And the "Park Cities" are enclaves "within" Dallas, rather than "suburbs", so there is that. I can't blame SMU for identifying itself with a better known city, although some might find it confusing.

However, I recognize the Dallas Logo to be close enough to the "official" City of Dallas Logo that someone at the City had to sign off on its use, and I have an opinion that such brand management might have serious downside potential in the long run. The physical boundaries between neighboring cities are created by actions of their governing bodies, but the perceptual boundaries are always moving. And many entities do use the name "Dallas" as part of their identity, but that name and logo together indicates to me something that should be guarded.

Although I have issues with attitudes of some SMU folks, it's hard to fault SMU for doing what professional sports teams do, using the name of whatever city or state suits its branding strategy. And I don't claim any real expertise in these matters, but any major organization these days should have staff who know the issues or pay for the services of someone who does.

Edited by eulessismore
  • Upvote 1