ESPN 3?

MeanGreenTeeth

So... I know we're not a big national draw and we're playing Houston Baptist, but there are only like 5 or 6 games being played on Saturday.  Is ESPN 3 really the best that could be done?  We couldn't even get ESPN2 or ESPNU or FSN or FS1 or something?  Would these channels really rather play a rerun of some women's cornhole tournament from 1992 than show our game? 

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 2

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTeeth said:

So... I know we're not a big national draw and we're playing Houston Baptist, but there are only like 5 or 6 games being played on Saturday.  Is ESPN 3 really the best that could be done?  We couldn't even get ESPN2 or ESPNU or FSN or FS1 or something?  Would these channels really rather play a rerun of some women's cornhole tournament from 1992 than show our game? 

Agree, I did the 3 day Sling TV trial because they offer ESPN 3. I really hope a couple of games get moved to ESPN +.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, MeanGreenTeeth said:

The corn hole tourney is on ESPNNEWS during the UNT game.  Fact check me.

Meanwhile, ESPN has the Arky State game, ESPN2 has the US Open Tennis, FSSW has World Poker, and CBS Sports Network has PBA Bowling.   

Honorable mention, Stadium has high school football. 

Edited by UNT 90 Grad
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, MeanGreenTeeth said:

You're forgetting about the East German Women's Swimming Championship in 1989 - you can't bump that programming.  I've got the VCR queued it and a fresh tape in the machine to record that classic.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

The corn hole tourney is on ESPNNEWS during the UNT game.  Fact check me.

Meanwhile, ESPN has the Arky State game, ESPN2 has the US Open Tennis, FSSW has World Poker, and CBS Sports Network has PBA Bowling.   

Honorable mention, Stadium has high school football. 

Unfortunately everything you just mentioned there would draw better than us vs. Houston Baptist, so probably the right call on their parts.

• Upvote 5
  • RV 1
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 3

19 hours ago, MeanGreenTeeth said:

Totally agree - it's really quite outrageous and I wonder if the P5's are the ones pushing it to be on such a damn small stage.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreenDan said:

Unfortunately everything you just mentioned there would draw better than us vs. Houston Baptist, so probably the right call on their parts.

I know we all love UNT, but right now we don't mean anything ratings wise. Below are the numbers from our last three bowl games, which are really the only games we've played on networks recently that have ranked in the ratings for their respective days.

• Our last bowl game (2018):
    "The Utah State-North Texas New Mexico Bowl drew a 0.7 (-9%) and 968,000 (-20%), marking the lowest rated edition of that game since at least 2008 and the least-watched since at least 2005."

• The bowl game before (2017):
    "The Troy-North Texas New Orleans Bowl had a 0.9 and 1.3 million on ESPN — the smallest audience for the game since 2009."

• Just rounding it out, the first bowl game of the Littrell era (2016):
    "The Army/North Texas Heart of Dallas Bowl (1.6M, -38%) was the least-watched since it last aired on ESPNU in 2013 (332K)." (note that 2013 game was also us)

Look, I wish our games had more interest, and were more appealing to the networks too. I hope we get there. But right now that just is not the case. And you can't really blame them for airing reruns of WSOP or Bowling, which probably cost them nothing, as opposed to doing a live broadcast from Denton.

Source: www.sportsmediawatch.com 

Edited by MeanGreenDan
Added source
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 1
  • RV 1
  • Sad 2
  • Downvote 1

Now you have done it, you pissed off Greta.  Corn hole tournament, who watches that crap.  Joe 24 pack vs Joe 36 pack it is such a great spectator sport.  I feel sorry for the announcers who get stuck with that assignment.  When you say Corn hole you are talking about the game right?

Edited by southsideguy
  • Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

18 minutes ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

I believe they are asking if our TV contracts were already in place for this year prior to COVID-19.  To get a better deal,  you gotta get out of your existing deal. 

Thanks. You did a much better job than I did 🤦‍♂️. I agree it seems like we should have been able to do something to get on TV. Is this controlled more by the Conference?

2 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Thanks. You did a much better job than I did 🤦‍♂️. I agree it seems like we should have been able to do something to get on TV. Is this controlled more by the Conference?

Gotcha - if we are on ESPN3 I’d think we could have access to ESPNs 1, 2 and U especially with such a thinner market.  I don’t claim to understand the contract situation fully and have the same question as you.  My assumption though is that we would have that access and if that’s the case then it’s a failure that it didn’t happen.  

Edited by tmjerm

3 minutes ago, tmjerm said:

Gotcha - if we are on ESPN3 I’d thing we could have access to ESPNs 1, 2 and U especially with such a thinner market.  I don’t claim to understand the contract situation fully and have the same question as you.  My assumption though is that we would have that access and if that’s the case then it’s a failure that it didn’t happen.  

Seems our conference commissioner would have ..... wait, never mind

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1