Is this really a word ?

greenjoe

I found this in my instructions for game day.  Is this really a thing ?

Flow – Fans are asked to reduce their movement around the stadium where possible. Bathrooms and vomitories have designated entries and exits to reduce cross-flow.

I'm not sure I want to go in but I'd like someone to point it out to me.  From a safe distance.

GO MEAN GREEN

1 minute ago, greenjoe said:

I found this in my instructions for game day.  Is this really a thing ?

Flow – Fans are asked to reduce their movement around the stadium where possible. Bathrooms and vomitories have designated entries and exits to reduce cross-flow.

I'm not sure I want to go in but I'd like someone to point it out to me.  From a safe distance.

GO MEAN GREEN

It's in case we lose to HBU

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Latin's most misused word: vomitorium

Even without having ever learnt the language, there is probably one Latin word we all know—'vomitorium'. Dredging through our memory banks, we all 'know' that the vomitorium was the special room where, back in rather debauched Roman times, gluttonous eaters would go to vomit.

Sorry, but vomiting is not what you're supposed to do in a vomitorium.

So why do so many of us think it's true? Probably we picked up this incorrect knowledge about the vomitorium early in our lives—either at school from teachers or friends, or after school days in general conversation.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, ipd054 said:

A vomitorium is a passage situated below or behind a tier of seats in an amphitheatre or a stadium, through which big crowds can exit rapidly at the end of a performance. They can also be pathways for actors to enter and leave stage.

I'm a UNT grad, so I don't use big words like that

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • Ray 1

I've been away from the board for most of this year and signed on just to post a question about this since I had just read the e-mail.  Surprisingly, I searched this forum for "vomit" and only a couple of old threads came up (not this one).

Anyway, I really expected "vomitories" to be some new millennial thing for those affected by bulimia or other disorders, but instead I got me some learnin' (thanks to greenminer's link).

giphy.gif