DRC: Aune, Bean to be listed as co-starters, per source

Brett Vito

6 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Which stat line would you take?

251/390 (64.4%)      2896yds      16TDs/13INTs
OR
257/414 (62.1%)      3088yds      29TDs/9INTs

If , you took the first stat line, you got the QB of the GREATEST TEAM IN NT HISTORY (as voted by fans), Derek Thompson in 2013.

If you took the second stat line, you got Mason Fine's 4-win stats from last year.

Thompson's numbers included his bowl game too.  So, it was really 2640 yds 14 tds and 13 ints.

Sorry, I had to do it.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, NorthTexan95 said:

I don't understand the question.  The second set of numbers is the correct answer.  Why would anyone choose the first set?

Sure!  Then accept the end results as well.

Im saying we can WIN football games with a QB that throws for just over 50% TDs:INTs, because we’ve seen it with our own eyes.

So if the starter is Bean, and he turns the ball over more than Mason (which is all but guaranteed) but also maybe runs for critical 1st downs/TDs, he can be effective in helping NT WIN GAMES... and that’s the bottom line.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

1.Mason has some pretty bad mistakes himself in high pressure situations. FAU certainly had his number. It happens to even the best qbs. Look at many NFL hall of famers and you can pick out particular passes or games.

2. Do we have a questionable OL and defense because of the players or because of the system? Did DT have questionable receivers compared to what we have now? Did having fewer receivers on the field limit his options and force double coverage on some of his best receivers? Would you make the same case agains Andrew Smith and Scott Hall? The offensive philosophy has significance in making a defense look worse because of the number of plays run against them. Look at all the hot shot D coordinators that look mediocre once they come to the big 12. And some of Mason’s stats were possibly relevant to a Heisman chase. We all know damn well a Dan McCarney coached football team would not allow its starting quarterback to throw 7 touchdowns unless every single running back broke his legs.

3. I hope this is a slight at last year’s team and not DT because if you believe he didn’t do absolutely everything he could to win games you were living on another planet in 2013 and on Jan 1, 2014.

definitely a slight at last year's team. I definitely know DT worked his ass off and have nothing against him. 

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, TheNewEra said:

Co-Starter's gives me PTSD from 2014. Luckily we aren't playing TU in Austin on Saturday & we can work out the issues against HBU.

Agreed. And now I’m thinking of that miserable game at DKR. So hot and still inside that stadium and our team looked so hapless on offense.

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

Littrell did run a two QB system at UNC for an entire season...and got them 10 wins.

Not saying this is the same situation, but the man does have experience.

Personally, this looks more like an extended preseason move to see both in game, rather than a plan to rotate QBs all year....but I’m no insider.

I am all for it It results in wins. Seth is going to do whatever he thinks will be successful. It ain’t just the team’s success either. It is his reputation on the line more than ever. 

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Green Lantern said:

Agreed. And now I’m thinking of that miserable game at DKR. So hot and still inside that stadium and our team looked so hapless on offense.

Our only points were scored by the defense and our woefully overmatched quarterbacks threw more interceptions than completions. I can’t think of that ever happening in a football game before I witnessed it in person.

The defense actually showed shades of the ‘13 season there and in the early weeks of the 2014 season but the atrocious offensive play eventually wore them down.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Not to be a pedant, but the only time you "never show... your cards" is when you've folded, or it's showdown time, and you know your hand is beat. Obviously not what he meant, but the only way the analogy stands. 

At least it worked out great every other time we tried it. Whether it's Dickey with Meager/Phillips/Wilson, Dodge with Meager and Vizza (and Dodge), or McCarney with the Greer/McNulty/Williams carousel... It's always been a dead cinch winner of an approach. 

This is exceptionally pointless, since week 1 is a paycheck FCS that should be stomped by either, both, or whoever sits in 3rd chair. And none of them has much in the way of game tape that's guiding defensive strategy anyway. 

Of course, wherever you stand on this 'hide your cards' philosophy... Unless we send them out there in disguises or unmarked jerseys, the mystery is over before the first offensive snap, which makes this even MORE pointless. 

Encouraging start to the season! 

2 hours ago, TheTastyGreek said:

Not to be a pedant, but the only time you "never show... your cards" is when you've folded, or it's showdown time, and you know your hand is beat. Obviously not what he meant, but the only way the analogy stands. 

At least it worked out great every other time we tried it. Whether it's Dickey with Meager/Phillips/Wilson, Dodge with Meager and Vizza (and Dodge), or McCarney with the Greer/McNulty/Williams carousel... It's always been a dead cinch winner of an approach. 

This is exceptionally pointless, since week 1 is a paycheck FCS that should be stomped by either, both, or whoever sits in 3rd chair. And none of them has much in the way of game tape that's guiding defensive strategy anyway. 

Of course, wherever you stand on this 'hide your cards' philosophy... Unless we send them out there in disguises or unmarked jerseys, the mystery is over before the first offensive snap, which makes this even MORE pointless. 

Encouraging start to the season! 

Just because you're playing a team you believe you should beat without a doubt doesn't mean you prepare for that game any differently than any other.  Why should we even practice at all before this game?  It's pointless and we could risk injury for a game our 3rd stringers could win according to your thought process.

The point of this type of approach isn't so they are shocked when they see who takes the first snap.  It's that we made them use their limited defensive game prep going over strategies to face 2 different styles of QB.  It probably doesn't take much research or game tape on their part to see that Bean is a scrambler while Aune prefers to pass.  Obviously the guessing game is over once the first snap takes place, but you still made them waste time prepping for a running QB when you don't even have a running QB in the game.  You can call that pointless if you'd like, but I personally will let any team we play waste time practicing defenses they won't even have to use in a game rather than getting better at the stuff they actually will need to use against us.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UNT18Grad said:

Just because you're playing a team you believe you should beat without a doubt doesn't mean you prepare for that game any differently than any other.  Why should we even practice at all before this game?  It's pointless and we could risk injury for a game our 3rd stringers could win according to your thought process.

The point of this type of approach isn't so they are shocked when they see who takes the first snap.  It's that we made them use their limited defensive game prep going over strategies to face 2 different styles of QB.  It probably doesn't take much research or game tape on their part to see that Bean is a scrambler while Aune prefers to pass.  Obviously the guessing game is over once the first snap takes place, but you still made them waste time prepping for a running QB when you don't even have a running QB in the game.  You can call that pointless if you'd like, but I personally will let any team we play waste time practicing defenses they won't even have to use in a game rather than getting better at the stuff they actually will need to use against us.

If we're more worried about mind games with Houston Baptist than we are setting the foundation for this season, that tells me enough to know my expectations for the year should probably be very, very low. 

If we had a starter, we'd have a starter. Right now, we don't. And we don't. 

I'm confident this will work out at least as well as it has every other time we've taken the same approach under any coach we've had in the past 20 years.