College Football News Preview 2020: North Texas Mean Green

Coach Andy Mac

1. College Football News Preview 2020: North Texas Mean Green Win Total Prediction, What Will Happen

Was 2019 just a blip, or did the 4-8 run signal a slide as the Seth Littrell era rolls on?

Littrell got the program to a bowl game in his first three seasons, but as soon as the offense stopped putting huge numbers and points on a regular basis, the losses started to mount.

On the plus side, there were a whole slew of injuries and inconsistencies, and four of the losses were by a touchdown or less and were very, very winnable. It’s not fair to do this, but if just two of those flipped the other way, the team is 6-6, off to a bowl, and the season was a mere dip.

read more:  https://collegefootballnews.com/2020/08/college-football-news-preview-2020-north-texas-mean-green/5

• Upvote 3

Kentucky transfer Amani Gilmore is an interesting option with his running ability, but sophomore Jason Bean and former Arkansas transfer Austin Aune will get the first cracks of the gig after serving as Fine’s backups. Bean was the No. 2 – it’s his job to lose.

Ok, is this guy eligible to play this year or not?

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

No.
CFN just running over last year's record, last year's stats, who's gone, and who's on the roster now...  I highly doubt they did much more than that as far as research.

That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure. As usual, we are not worthy enough to have accurate information printed about us. Good ol' NTSU!............😠

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/30/2020 at 12:36 PM, Coach Andy Mac said:

Was 2019 just a blip, or did the 4-8 run signal a slide as the Seth Littrell era rolls on?

History tells us we're about to suck. I'm trying to stay optimistic, but I am a little concerned about this year and the next.

• Eye Roll 1

6 hours ago, NTSU52 said:

History tells us we're about to suck. I'm trying to stay optimistic, but I am a little concerned about this year and the next.

I think this year will look really bad at times, but I think we will see improvement as we get into the CUSA schedule in November.

SL knows his future coaching career will almost certainly come down to 2021 being a retrenching year and I suspect it will be a good season. And don’t forget we trade UH for Liberty in 2021. I figure he knows that if we win 7 or 8 regular season games, he will get another extension here. And a 9 win season probably gets him a head coaching up the food chain.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I am assuming he means we have had lean years following spurts of success.  I choose to believe we have learned from our history of not investing in the program and things are changing.

We have done everything right when it comes to facilities and salaries.

It appears we are finally figuring out recruiting, but it's behind the curve compared to money.  I expect a couple more rough seasons.

For as much as we spend, a fan should expect title-contending seasons.  I don't think we will be consistently up top until we consistently recruit better.

I do believe we are past the days of 3-win seasons.

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, greenminer said:

It appears we are finally figuring out recruiting, but it's behind the curve compared to money.  I expect a couple more rough seasons.

For as much as we spend, a fan should expect title-contending seasons.  I don't think we will be consistently up top until we consistently recruit better.

I agree with everything you just posted. Without a doubt, the biggest obstacle here was funding and support. Both have been improved significantly. Now, the harder part is changing our reputation amongst TX HS Coaches and parents of recruits. It appears that last season's class was a sign of progress---now its time to develop that talent into something that can win a division, conference, and bowl. There is absolutely no reason we should ever suffer in recruiting against the Texas CUSA West teams--Rice has very strict academic standards, UTEP is very far away from any Texas talent, and UTSA has just shown to be a complete underachiever. Add in Texas State sucking and it should help us immensely IF we don't fall back down to being a 3 win (or less) program. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, greenminer said:

SPOT ON!  Everything has been elevated with the exception of recruiting.  You cannot hire good buddy good pal assistant coaches.  Littrell has learned this the hard way.  New staff is top notch, big issue now is will they start up the revolving door again or can they keep some of these dudes like Bloesch and Bowen and Scott for any length of time.