What winning will do

emmitt01

Notable games, Week 1 of the 2020 season: Decatur vs. Argyle. Notable games, Week 1 of the 2020 season: Decatur vs. Argyle.(SportsDay Staff)

Where: 7:30 p.m. at Argyle’s Eagle Stadum

Argyle has won at least 11 games every season since 2008. The top-ranked 4A team in the Dallas area has the talent to accomplish that feat once again. Senior receiver Cole Kirkpatrick had 1,695 yards and 29 touchdowns a year ago, earning all-state and all-area honors. Kirkpatrick, senior running back Tito Byce and new starting quarterback CJ Rogers should make a talented trio for the Eagles. Decatur went 12-1 and lost by three points in the third round of the playoffs.

Hoyt’s pick: Argyle 45, Decatur 35

Argyle should win that game easily.

The Dallas Morning News would seem to disagree.  Looks like the Eagles (Decatur) are up to their old tradition of taking on a tough opponent to open the season. Back in the 60's they would open with teams like Jacksboro (coached by Chuck Curtis), then later Plano,  Iowa Park, with Granbury thrown in there from time to time.

addendum:

In 1966, Decatur (#2 in the State) played Jacksboro (#1 in the state) for the district championship. As me and my fellow band members were walking down to the field to practice early Friday morning, I noticed a pickup with a camper parked by the fence surrounding the stadium. It was from Jacksboro. By the time the Band marched into the stadium prior to the start of the game, it was not only SRO, but the concessions on both sides were sold out of hotdogs and hot chocolate. 

THAT is also what winning will do for you.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 3

On 8/29/2020 at 2:53 PM, ttunt1970 said:

The Democrat Morning News has cut staff and not what  the Sports Dept once was. I canceled my subscription because they gave crappy coverage.

The sports department is no where near what it was at one time but that's the newspaper business these days.  I have an online subscription because it was the only way to really follow local high school sports. Now that my daughter is no longer playing in this area I won't renew  when it comes up again this year. Other than high school you can get just as good or better coverage from other sources. 

• Upvote 1