Bowl Predictions

MCMLXXX

Let's see, only 60% of conferences are playing football this fall, and currently, 84 teams are needed to fill all of the scheduled bowl spots.  I think it's safe to assume that a great many of these bowls will be canceled--even if we do make it all the way through the college football schedule this fall, which is a big "if."

I hate to be Debbie Downer, but what's the alternative here: having 1- or 2-win teams playing in bowls?

• Upvote 2

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29738883/texas-tech-football-coach-matt-wells-keeps-red-raiders-practicing-21-active-covid-19-cases%3fplatform=amp

This will be a very interesting and risky experiment this coach is trying. If the virus doesn’t spread like crazy then it kind of shows that you don’t need to quarantine the team and miss games like they did in MLB. Coach Wells team is being the guinea pig for Covid in football...

On 8/26/2020 at 11:14 PM, 97and03 said:

Why would they have bowl games?

I can't imagine a case where all of the bowl games happen. But, ESPN owns most of the minor bowls and has about 15,000 of air time to fill each month. Bowl games, even minor bowls from minor teams, draw very well. They draw a LOT better that FCS or lower games even with lower conference teams playing. 

And right now, sports writers need SOMETHING to write about and guessing who is going to be an bowl games is a great way to fill space and draw interaction from readers. This article certainly did that!

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

On 8/27/2020 at 10:07 AM, UNTLifer said:

Tulsa?  They've gone 2-10, 3-9, 4-8 the last three years.  Are they expected to be bowl eligible, or are they planning on the scenario in the post by @Greendylan above?

I think we won four games last year, hope we can qualify for a bowl.  We are still looking for a starting qb.