Iowa AD Taking Out a $75 Million Loan

UNTLifer

I know this isn't Mean Green Football related, but thought it would be of interest to the readers here.  The MOD's can move this is there is a better place.

They are also cutting four sports.

https://www.athleticbusiness.com/college/iowa-ad-cut-teams-can-t-be-saved-as-dept-takes-out-loan.html?eid=324696786&bid=2670458

"Iowa is projecting about $100 million of lost revenue and an overall deficit between $60-75 million this fiscal year. Barta expects cutting four sports, bringing Iowa down to 20 programs, will save about $5 million each year. HawkCentral, which noted that only Iowa’s football and men’s basketball teams are profitable, reported it may take 15 years for the university to pay off the $75 million loan"

Considering their annual take from being in the Big Ten and a "P5", this was amazing to me and reflects how some of these institutions have lived in the now with no consideration of fiscal responsibility.  It is mind boggling that these universities that take in so much money each year, don't put any back as a contingency fund of some sort.  I realize that  there was no way to predict the Covid-19 pandemic and its effects, but it is still baffling that some of these schools were living on the edge financially from year to year.  

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1