DRC: Baker addresses possibility of adding 12 game in football

Brett Vito

Good information...sounds pretty solid no aTm replacement and no tailgating....

I'm not understanding the 25% in the bowl but 50% up stairs where the big boys play. Guess you can rationalize it. Guess prime example of you can't please everyone.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, RBP79 said:

I’m not understanding the 25% in the bowl but 50% up stairs where the big boys play. Guess you can rationalize it. Guess prime example of you can't please everyone.

If I had to guess, I’d say it is probably related to how many people you would have to funnel through the same entry/exit that aren’t in the same group. Like a bunch more people would have to walk through the entry/stairs for section 110 than whatever club level sections their are. I don’t know if this is true but it made sense in my head.

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, RBP79 said:

I'm not understanding the 25% in the bowl but 50% up stairs where the big boys play. Guess you can rationalize it. Guess prime example of you can't please everyone.

I'm going into my 3rd year of Hub Club tix and while it can seem crowded upstairs at times, I'm shocked to hear there are excess of 50% of HC tix taken on a yearly basis.  But then again, they always make it seem like you're asking for the moon when you try to get extra game tix... even when many seats are empty year after year no matter the opponent, record, or game day temp. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the 50% number for Hub Club is the normal take of tickets.  Either that or there's a lot of people paying $1k a year per person to eat a buffet 6 times then leave without going to their seats.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, RBP79 said:

Good information...sounds pretty solid no aTm replacement and no tailgating....

Looks like it depends how extravagant your tailgate scene is.  

“If a family wants to come out and cook a burger, we want that to happen. It’s a part of the game-day experience. If people abuse that, very quickly we will rally around no tailgating.”

Be safe Mean Green Family, be safe.

• Upvote 4

Not sure the 50% HUB club threshold is the rich getting richer.

There are actually two ways to “be” a part of the HUB’s attendance. Seats and eats. I have two seats but I have 6 seats where the real fans are. I have spent less than two hours in my seats, including all seasons Apogee has been open and the scrimmages and Spring games I have attended. I come up and grab a bite around the end of the 2Q. I sometimes sit in one of my seats but rarely. Sometimes I stand up outside and watch, sometimes I sit at one of the tables inside in front of the handful of monitors showing our game, sometimes I stand and look through the window around the 40 yard line, eat and get back to my stadium seat.

The point is there is lots of room up there, lots of socializing, lots of ogling of MJG, occasional fandom, a “free” soft drink, a good dessert. But my goal is to be back to my Section 110 seats where I can stand and yell the whole game without disturbing those most financially invested in the program. But even at full capacity, it would be rare for it to feel unsafe up there.

GMG

Edited by untcampbell
  • Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, untcampbell said:

Not sure the 50% HUB club threshold is the rich getting richer.

There are actually two ways to “be” a part of the HUB’s attendance. Seats and eats. I have two seats but I have 6 seats where the real fans are. I have spent less than two hours in my seats, including all seasons Apogee has been open and the scrimmages and Spring games I have attended. I come up and grab a bite around the end of the 2Q. I sometimes sit in one of my seats but rarely. Sometimes I stand up outside and watch, sometimes I sit at one of the tables inside in front of the handful of monitors showing our game, sometimes I stand and look through the window around the 40 yard line, eat and get back to my stadium seat.

The point is there is lots of room up there, lots of socializing, lots of ogling of MJG, occasional fandom, a “free” soft drink, a good dessert. But my goal is to be back to my Section 110 seats where I can stand and yell the whole game without disturbing those most financially invested in the program. But even at full capacity, it would be rare for it to feel unsafe up there.

GMG

I have done the same thing since the stadium opened.  I prefer watching the game from the lower bowl seats than the club seats.  About the only time I sit in my club seats is if it is raining since my club seats are under the overhang by the windows.  I do enjoy going up early for the buffet and visiting with people, but when the game starts it is down in Section 105 for me and my friends.  In my opinion a much better view and game experience!  GO MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 5

4 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

“If a family wants to come out and cook a burger, we want that to happen. It’s a part of the game-day experience. If people abuse that, very quickly we will rally around no tailgating.”

Well we might peacefully protest, so we should be fine

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 4
  • Eye Roll 2

17 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

Wren didn’t mention anything about Tony’s  famous balls?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Understand Wren's logic, but it doesn't look good when everyone else is playing 12.

I think Rice is down to 10. FAU and FIU are also at 10. Of course the power conferences are all at 10.  I'd love to see us pick up a 12th game but understand the logic of not picking up expense if there isn't a big paycheck game. I'd feel differently if we'd have lost a home game.

• Upvote 2

I also do not think Wren wants to add a game at home or on the road that he is not 100% sure will happen.  So why add any additional expenses.  If we are lucky enough to play games scheduled I think everyone will be happy with 11.  It is possible we play 1 and no others, or any equation between.

• Eye Roll 1