Who are we going to replace for the A&M game?

I don't know if this was already a topic, but I've seen 2 teams today (UTSA and UAB) schedule teams to fill in open dates. UAB got ULL and UCA, while UTSA is heading to BYU.

It makes me wonder if we will just leave an open date, or schedule a team like Troy who doesn't have a game until the 26th. I would think we schedule someone, but I don't know who...

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

I agree. Play a SBC team or someone to get more experience before the big game

But does it make financial sense? This season is a complete joke. So why bid anything that doesn’t make a profit. Bowl games should not happen. No championship is legit. If we play let’s focus on money. 

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 1

I don’t think it’s a bad time to play a road game at a P5 opponent, if we can make up some of the financial incentive lost from Aggie. Crowd noise shouldn’t be a factor at all and who knows how these coaching staffs are handling preparation for the upcoming season. I bet you will see plenty of upsets early on. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 97and03 said:

But does it make financial sense? This season is a complete joke. So why bid anything that doesn’t make a profit. Bowl games should not happen. No championship is legit. If we play let’s focus on money. 

Well who would we play then? If it’s for money, might as well have a bye because what P5 has an opening? Notre Dame?

6 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Well who would we play then? If it’s for money, might as well have a bye because what P5 has an opening? Notre Dame?

Auburn among others. You can google and get complete list, which is shrinking. We might not schedule a game unless we get a road money game. We might be able  do a home and home with Arkansas State who had a 9-12 opening the last I looked. However, I am not sure we wanted to incur additional air travel expense this year.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, wardly said:

Auburn among others. You can google and get complete list, which is shrinking. We might not schedule a game unless we get a road money game. We might be able  do a home and home with Arkansas State who had a 9-12 opening the last I looked. However, I am not sure we wanted to incur additional air travel expense this year.

Right.  Need to turn a profit, preferably a big one, for filling that week to make sense.  Otherwise just save the money and get the practice reps. 

• RV 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, wardly said:

Are we talking long term or this season? Because Auburn is in the SEC and so is tamu... 

19 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

IMO, playing for money games at this point is a pipe dream. OU, TCU, and Baylor filled their openings on 9/12 with opponents who were already on the schedule. It was more of a reshuffle of dates and game location (TCU is now hosting SMU.) In this COVID climate and financial crunch, I can't see any P5 team willing to pay us money to play them. We're UNT and we don't have any leverage. 

If the shoe is on the other foot, are we willing to pay another FCS school to come play at Apogee on 9/12? I highly doubt it. My bet is 9/12 stays open on the schedule and we use it as a prep week for SMU.  

1 minute ago, SigmaGreen said:

Isn’t S. Carolina a SEC school...so how is that non conference 

It's not. I am old man who sometimes gets Eastern Division SEC teams mixed up with Eastern Division ACC teams.However, the way the Gamecocks have played the last few years it probably should be a non conference game. Trivial fact. They have boosters who own railroad caboose's  clustered close to the stadium. Plus sweatshirts that say "You Can't Lick Our Cocks". We went to Florida game there once upon a time. OK stadium but nothing special.

• Sad 1