Aune vs. Bean - Who You Got??

Someone had posted in a different thread that we may see both on the field, depending on the situation. I can see Aune getting the starting nod, with Bean coming in on certain situations where his running ability can give the opposing teams defense a different look. Short yardage plays maybe? 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

18 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

Someone had posted in a different thread that we may see both on the field, depending on the situation. I can see Aune getting the starting nod, with Bean coming in on certain situations where his running ability can give the opposing teams defense a different look. Short yardage plays maybe? 

I mentioned it was something Oklahoma St. did with Mason Rudolph and JW Walsh. 

Rudolph would basically run the offense to the 20 yard line, then they'd switch over to JW, who was a much better runner, and used him in different QB option packages. It was pretty effective as Walsh threw 13 TDs and ran for 13 TDs in limited action, and most coming in short yardage situations.

• Upvote 2

On 8/19/2020 at 9:58 AM, MGNation92 said:

I mentioned it was something Oklahoma St. did with Mason Rudolph and JW Walsh. 

Rudolph would basically run the offense to the 20 yard line, then they'd switch over to JW, who was a much better runner, and used him in different QB option packages. It was pretty effective as Walsh threw 13 TDs and ran for 13 TDs in limited action, and most coming in short yardage situations.

See these highlights for what I mean.

Walsh ran for 3 TD's and threw for 2(one being in garbage time) but all of his scoring plays were inside the 20 outside the one long pass.

• Upvote 1

I still believe that Aune is the one but so far it seems to me that Bean is slightly ahead.  Of course not being able to see the practices, I don't who is working the most with the first team offense or whether they've been against the first team defense.

I know that it's usually said that the defense is ahead of the offense early but this defense seems better than any since Littrell came here so the new quarterbacks should be a little farther behind the curve.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

I still believe that Aune is the one but so far it seems to me that Bean is slightly ahead.  Of course not being able to see the practices, I don't who is working the most with the first team offense or whether they've been against the first team defense.

I know that it's usually said that the defense is ahead of the offense early but this defense seems better than any since Littrell came here so the new quarterbacks should be a little farther behind the curve.

In the scrimmage, Aune and Bean split time with the first team O against the first team D. Idk about practice though

14 hours ago, C Rod said:

My money is on Kason Martin. He may not start the season as the starter but I can see him overtaking Bean & Aune by mid-season. It's worth noting he was the lone QB to not throw an interception last Saturday. He also threw a 60 yd TD and his performance earned praise from coach after the scrimmage. The fact that coach Littrell made a point to mention Kason alongside Bean & Aune to me says this is a real 3-man race for the spot. Apparently Kason has practiced well up to this point and continues to make a good argument for playing time. 

Kevin Laugh GIFs | Tenor

• Haha 2
  • RV 1
  • Eye Roll 2

Some Observations:

1. Austin Aune is not as good as i once thought. At least not at this moment. He definitely has the arm strength. But his inability to separate himself from Bean makes me think something is missing. Could be just him needing some in-game experience.

2. Bean is good. He's all over the place. But he's good. I think when we look back at the Littrell era and how the team changed when Harrell left, there's a good argument to be made Bean's development slowed down tremendously. He was a GH guy for sure. If Bean gets the nod be prepared to ride the roller coaster. He may not be at his best until late October/November and then become a real threat going into the 2021 season.

3. Decision Making. Whoever wins QB1 will have convinced Littrell that they are the best decision maker. As of now,  neither player's skill-set is profound enough to create separation. That could change with some in-game experience. 

Stay safe. Stay healthy. GMG!

• Upvote 3

Aune is my pick to be the starter at the beginning.  I think we'll see both have stretches of starts this year and maybe Martin too because no one is separating themselves from the pack.  Unfortunately, it's not because they are all good,  but that they are all mediocre. Hopefully I'm wrong, I usually am.

Edited by Green Crazy

3 hours ago, agw0038 said:

Some Observations:

1. Austin Aune is not as good as i once thought. At least not at this moment. He definitely has the arm strength. But his inability to separate himself from Bean makes me think something is missing. Could be just him needing some in-game experience.

2. Bean is good. He's all over the place. But he's good. I think when we look back at the Littrell era and how the team changed when Harrell left, there's a good argument to be made Bean's development slowed down tremendously. He was a GH guy for sure. If Bean gets the nod be prepared to ride the roller coaster. He may not be at his best until late October/November and then become a real threat going into the 2021 season.

3. Decision Making. Whoever wins QB1 will have convinced Littrell that they are the best decision maker. As of now,  neither player's skill-set is profound enough to create separation. That could change with some in-game experience. 

Stay safe. Stay healthy. GMG!

Do you have an inside source or have you been able to watch some of the practices?

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

I'll admit that I don't have much of a clue because I don't know who will make the decision on the starting quarterback.  I would think that it would be Wallis.  I'm sure that there would be plenty of dialogue between he and Littrell but Coach Wallis should have more insight into who starts based on the game plan.  If we plan to do more running then I see Bean as the starter (although Aune isn't exactly slow of foot either).  It could come down to who is the most accurate passer, makes fewer mistakes and can read defenses better.  Upon further review, I am leaning toward Bean.  There should be less pressure on him with an FCS team and he should be able to adjust any mistakes and have the steadier hand of Aune if he is not able.

9 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

It needs to be who can make the outside throws. If we are confined to the middle of the field it is too easy for the defense. 

Last year we were WAAAAY to predictable. No creativity whatsoever, but I would think that changes with the different formations.