Aune vs. Bean - Who You Got??

Still rolling with Bean for now.   But I think both will be in trouble when Gilmore is ready next season.

A lot of y'all keep saying Aune, "based on what I've seen..."   what meaningful play have we seen from any of these guys, especially Aune? 
Y'all are the same ones that were drooling over Kason Martin because he threw a TD pass against UTSt's 3rd stringers in the NM Bowl that time.  Aune threw a TD against LATech's 3rd stringers.  That's all you've "seen" from him so far.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

Between the two...not Bean...great legs, but a liability (turnovers, decision making & maturity). We need a QB, not a sprinter that can somewhat throw. I'd take Martin out of the conversation. 

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Still rolling with Bean for now.   But I think both will be in trouble when Gilmore is ready next season.

A lot of y'all keep saying Aune, "based on what I've seen..."   what meaningful play have we seen from any of these guys, especially Aune? 
Y'all are the same ones that were drooling over Kason Martin because he threw a TD pass against UTSt's 3rd stringers in the NM Bowl that time.  Aune threw a TD against LATech's 3rd stringers.  That's all you've "seen" from him so far.

I guess the question for you is,  why Bean then? 

Provided there is a season, I think we see both play against Houston Baptist.    The most poised of the 2 will then start against SMU. 

I just have a good feeling about Aune.   And, I do think his maturity from playing minor league baseball is a plus.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

But I think both will be in trouble when Gilmore is ready next season.

I think Gilmore is the least polished of the group based on film.

I also wouldn't sleep on Kuehne.  I don't expect him to start this year, but he could develop.

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

The Sully Side of Sports: McCarney starting new photo album ...

I am having some weird feelings of 2014 come back to me after seeing this and realizing our star QB really has left us lol. However, the stock tank is a lot more full and with bigger fish this year than it was in 2014.

"If you have 2 quarterbacks, you really have none." -Mike Canales or someone like that

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Well yeah, we haven’t seen much. Which is why the “based on what I’ve seen” qualifier is just that, and not a full-blown analysis on why we’re picking Aune over Bean. But, here is what I have seen that has me picking Aune over Bean.

I have been watching a lot of our QB film lately (obviously mostly Mason Fine) and I think there’s a very real chance that Aune had the best understanding of coverages out of our QBs. Fine obviously had a lot of playing experience, but his film shows he was a first read and throw guy. Even Patrick Mahomes admitted that this was the first year that he really started to actually read defenses and before was pretty much just playing and throwing to his guys, so it’s not that crazy a notion our senior QB wasn’t really adept at reading defenses.

I watched all of Fine’s 29 TDs from last year and only one came on his second read. It was this touchdown against Cal where his second read (Shorter) was in almost the same spot of the field as his first read (Darden). Video is attached. Otherwise it was almost always the ball going directly where his eyes were.

As for Aune, in his two big gainers against La Tech he showed his ability to hold safeties and linebackers with his eyes, which I didn’t see from Bean and I hardly saw from Fine. Also solid arm strength. In the endzone view against La Tech on the pass to McCrary, watch Aune’s head and the linebacker #39. Based on Aune’s eyes, he thinks the pass is going to be to his left until it’s over his right shoulder. That ability to hold safeties and linebackers with your eyes while still making a strike is a very impressive trait and it’s how you get your playmakers the ball with room to move after the catch.

In the TD pass to Lawrence the defenders reactions are similar. Linebacker #48 moves his body like he’s expecting the ball to go in the middle of the field, and even the cornerback he throws over (who is watching Aune the whole time) is reacting like the ball is going to the field side of him and not the sideline side of him like it did. That cross up by Aune caused that corner to fall down and Lawrence to have a free sideline to race down.

As for Bean, I didn’t see any of that. I am also concerned about ball control and arm strength. Look at the lack of mustard behind his two INTs against La Tech (one video, one gif). Bean struggles throwing to the boundaries from the pocket, and that’s a big thing as far holding back his potential. If he has to rollout to hit passes on the boundaries, that’s much easier to gameplan against.

If Aune is hitting those boundary passes from the pocket and Bean isn’t, unless Bean is much better everywhere else, I want to see Aune getting the ball to these playmakers.

63DC7565-739D-4E03-8F3C-263557C48743.MOV

D4DB7FB3-C8F5-43C3-BD06-52902923CC6D.gif

EDCE09D2-13DB-4607-9127-722D75CDFB32.MOV

DF66E526-3668-405D-9732-79205F0CF6A6.gif

C72B8E7B-0EF0-4D01-909B-3DF15231A2DF.gif

I can always count on you to back up what you think.   Thanks.

Bean had an awful game against LATech, I think we can all say that with certainty.  Both of those INTs you showed were by All-Conference players, Sam & Sneed (re: starters).  The throw to the end zone was bad.   The Sneed pick-6 wasn't as bad.  Needs more zip on the ball as you said.   I bet that's something he learned that day.
Again, it's easier to freeze LBs/DBs when they're 3rd string (whoever #39 was in that Aune gif... sheesh, he was lost) and the game is more than in hand.

I'm also not saying Aune has nothing to offer. I think he would be more than capable.    I suppose my pick is more based on hope that the game has slowed down for Bean because his wheels are game-changing if his arm & decision-making is up to par.

32 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Why?  Based on what?

IMO Martin just doesn't have "it." Doesn't have the touch or leadership...he comes off as more of a "hype man" than a leader. I just don't believe he'll ever get the nod. I think there's a reason he didn't see any action in 2019.

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 2

18 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Bean had an awful game against LATech, I think we can all say that with certainty.  Both of those INTs you showed were by All-Conference players, Sam & Sneed (re: starters).  The throw to the end zone was bad.   The Sneed pick-6 wasn't as bad.  Needs more zip on the ball as you said.   I bet that's something he learned that day.
Again, it's easier to freeze LBs/DBs when they're 3rd string (whoever #39 was in that Aune gif... sheesh, he was lost) and the game is more than in hand.

I'm also not saying Aune has nothing to offer. I think he would be more than capable.    I suppose my pick is more based on hope that the game has slowed down for Bean because his wheels are game-changing if his arm & decision-making is up to par.

That LT defense was filled with NFL talent (mainly the secondary), so I didn’t really get that mad at him when he turned it over 3 times.

With that being said, can we trust him running the ball all the time? I mean his arm is not near Aune, but would you want to rely on Beans running abilities more than Aune’s better throwing abilities?

I am leaning Aune because I feel like he is more reliable. Idk what’s happening at practice, but it would seem others might be on the Aune train. He didn’t practice early last week tho 

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

With Bean, to me it’s not as much about results as it is him not showing contrary examples to his struggles in certain areas. Having bad games happens, and sometimes all conference players will get you, although with those throw velocities it did not need to be an all conference player to result in a pick. The lack of velocity is more concerning to me than the result. He has shown he struggles hitting boundary throws from the pocket, mainly because his arm strength is lacking. 

Same for Aune. Maybe he was freezing backups but at least he was showing the ability to look off defenders. Maybe against the starters he doesn’t freeze them solid but it’s enough to complete the pass and get a big gainer, even if there wouldn’t be as much YAC available.

I’m worried about Bean’s physical limitations (arm strength and frame) more than I am his decision making. If he can’t hit boundary throws from the pocket, I think he shrinks our playbook and offensive potential more than his running expands it. Unfortunately in the one throw we have seen from practice this fall he made a boundary throw from the pocket and obviously it was intercepted by Gaddie. But the part that was concerning wasn’t the interception, it was that Shorter’s chest was parallel to the line of scrimmage when he was going up for the ball. 

Until that starts happening for Bean, I think Aune makes our offense harder to defend.

• Upvote 4
  • Ray 1

39 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

I’m worried about Bean’s physical limitations (arm strength and frame) more than I am his decision making. If he can’t hit boundary throws from the pocket, I think he shrinks our playbook and offensive potential more than his running expands it. Unfortunately in the one throw we have seen from practice this fall he made a boundary throw from the pocket and obviously it was intercepted by Gaddie. But the part that was concerning wasn’t the interception, it was that Shorter’s chest was parallel to the line of scrimmage when he was going up for the ball. 

Until that starts happening for Bean, I think Aune makes our offense harder to defend.

This what A&M tried to do to Kyler Murray. Make him roll out and give him three options: Receiver 1, Receiver 2, or run. 

It made it that much easier to defend because the defense never had to worry about the other half of the field. 

Not saying Bean is the next Murray, but if it doesn't work for the future number 1 overall pick, who's to think it's gonna work for our guy?

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

With Bean, to me it’s not as much about results as it is him not showing contrary examples to his struggles in certain areas. Having bad games happens, and sometimes all conference players will get you, although with those throw velocities it did not need to be an all conference player to result in a pick. The lack of velocity is more concerning to me than the result. He has shown he struggles hitting boundary throws from the pocket, mainly because his arm strength is lacking. 

Same for Aune. Maybe he was freezing backups but at least he was showing the ability to look off defenders. Maybe against the starters he doesn’t freeze them solid but it’s enough to complete the pass and get a big gainer, even if there wouldn’t be as much YAC available.

I am too, and he's still weighing in at 189 according to MGS.com, so that is concerning.

• Ray 1

I wish I could go back and break down every season of my teams that had a QB w/top-end, "game changing" speed.

Off the top of my head, I'd say every single one of those teams did not name him starter, or they did not win more than 3 games.

It's been this experience that tells me: 1) this trait is extremely exciting to everyone surrounding the program, and 2) then extremely disappointing in the end.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Dk79 said:

IMO Martin just doesn't have "it." Doesn't have the touch or leadership...he comes off as more of a "hype man" than a leader. I just don't believe he'll ever get the nod. I think there's a reason he didn't see any action in 2019.

I may not agree, but thanks for clarifying.  I watched him in his high school state championship game and saw a lot of both leadership and touch.  Does that translate to college?  We shall see.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Am I remembering this correctly? My memory tells me that Bean lost his starting qb job his senior year of high school. Anybody remember something similar?

He and Chandler Rogers split time.

https://www.maxpreps.com/m/high-schools/lake-ridge-eagles-(mansfield,tx)/football-fall-17/stats_by_player.htm

Rogers signed with Southern Miss last year but has since transferred to Blinn

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

He and Chandler Rogers split time.

https://www.maxpreps.com/m/high-schools/lake-ridge-eagles-(mansfield,tx)/football-fall-17/stats_by_player.htm

Rogers signed with Southern Miss last year but has since transferred to Blinn

Thank you. I knew something had happened. I didn’t realize they were splitting. I thought the other guy had beat out Bean for the starting gig.