DRC: C-USA to decide on fall sports soon, Smatresk says

Brett Vito

6 minutes ago, Got5onIt said:

I’m taking bets: +250 season is postponed 

Any takers? Anyone looking for action? Any real Wiseguys on the board?

I wish it would not be, but I am pretty sure you are correct.

53 minutes ago, KingDL1 said:

I wish it would not be, but I am pretty sure you are correct.

Well, I’m actually saying the season won’t be postponed. But, I’m not saying it won’t be canceled once it starts:

Ok, here are my odds:

Postponed +250 , Starts -250

Canceled mid-year -300, finishes +300

😄

• RV 2

On 8/15/2020 at 4:04 PM, KingDL1 said:

You better believe those buildings would have been built without RV and probably faster with just about anyone else The man was utter BS. 

You are mistaken regarding stadium construction. I was at the initial building committee meeting. The plan was to raise $38 million for a 36,000 seat stadium. Two major problems developed. The first was beyond our control. China hosted the Olympics and bought up the world's steel and concrete which made domestic prices skyrocket. Two, we had to raise about $7 million[ I forget exact amount ] in order for the state to allow us to bond the remainder out. Remember that we are ranked last in Texas in alumni giving for a reason. The great majority of us on this board, including myself, are a lot more mouth than money.[our nickname should be Lean Green instead of Mean Green.] It took us much longer that planned  to meet the state requirement, and if it were not for C.Dan Smith and a few others we would still be at Fouts. By the time we could break ground our cost had nearly doubled and stadium size was reduced to 30,000. If it could have done before Rick came on board it would have been. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • RV 1
  • Eye Roll 1

32 minutes ago, wardly said:

You are mistaken regarding stadium construction. I was at the initial building committee meeting. The plan was to raise $38 million for a 36,000 seat stadium. Two major problems developed. The first was beyond our control. China hosted the Olympics and bought up the world's steel and concrete which made domestic prices skyrocket. Two, we had to raise about $7 million[ I forget exact amount ] in order for the state to allow us to bond the remainder out. Remember that we are ranked last in Texas in alumni giving for a reason. The great majority of us on this board, including myself, are a lot more mouth than money.[our nickname should be Lean Green instead of Mean Green.] It took us much longer that planned  to meet the state requirement, and if it were not for C.Dan Smith and a few others we would still be at Fouts. By the time we could break ground our cost had nearly doubled and stadium size was reduced to 30,000. If it could have done before Rick came on board it would have been. 

What you are mistaken is that Rick was something special, he was not. Many other qualified ADs would have been 10 times better raising money.  The  alumni from TCU warned us what a POS he was when we hired Rick and it showed.  Dickey got the interest back and just about any AD would have done better. UNTFlyer on this board had a bigger hand in getting the stadium rolling than Rick ever did. Remember Rick failed getting the student vote. Rick had the benefit of timing. The master plans were already drawn before  Rick even arrived. Rick pissed off so many people it was crazy even people trying to donate. The Letterman would not hardly talk to him. Pre-Rick Coaches would not deal with him and  they had not so flattering nick names for him. There was plenty of behind the scenes issues where Rick caused enormous problems other than with his small group of donors he kept happy. 

17 hours ago, KingDL1 said:

What you are mistaken is that Rick was something special, he was not. Many other qualified ADs would have been 10 times better raising money.  The  alumni from TCU warned us what a POS he was when we hired Rick and it showed.  Dickey got the interest back and just about any AD would have done better. UNTFlyer on this board had a bigger hand in getting the stadium rolling than Rick ever did. Remember Rick failed getting the student vote. Rick had the benefit of timing. The master plans were already drawn before  Rick even arrived. Rick pissed off so many people it was crazy even people trying to donate. The Letterman would not hardly talk to him. Pre-Rick Coaches would not deal with him and  they had not so flattering nick names for him. There was plenty of behind the scenes issues where Rick caused enormous problems other than with his small group of donors he kept happy. 

There are always two sides to a coin, the one you see and the one you don't. I am not in a position to disagree with you. We both just saw different sides.

Well RV has his negatives and probably plateaued a few years before he was fired. But he cared about the job and did his best. I can tell you that when the student vote failed in 2002, he didn’t give up and he was able to convince me to pass a partial fee through the Student Government to up many of our facilities. Our acquisition of Liberty Christian property was funded from that. That led to the athletic academic center and all the women’s facilities. Don’t forget the softball team was playing in a public park. We were prime for a lawsuit then but instead we ended up being one of the top programs for Title IX compliance. 
I am not making any excuses for his shortcomings or mistakes, just noting that  he accomplished some good things. 

Edited by 97and03
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • RV 2

1 hour ago, bstnsportsfan3 said:

Its a yearly tradition around these parts! 

All of this RV talk made we wonder how his restaurant was doing? A quick "Google" told me Denton's Rock and Roll Sushi closed permanently in July.

What a shame. Like RV or loathe him, I hate to see someone lose a business, not to mention my thoughts for all the people now out of work.

• Haha 1