DRC: C-USA to decide on fall sports soon, Smatresk says

Brett Vito

7 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Smatresk is a Biology guy.   Pretty sure he understands this.  I would not be surprised if he’s lobbying to shut it down.

Dr. Smatresk doesn't give 2 $hits about football. He's more concerned about academics and the faculty as which he should be.

Edited by Tom McKrackin
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • RV 1
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 15

12 hours ago, Tom McKrackin said:

Dr. Smatresk doesn't give 2 $hits about football. He's more concerned about academics and the faculty as which he should be.

You don't think a huge economic driver for the university as well as a major way for Alumni to keep plugged-in (the "front porch") weighs on his thoughts at all?

• Upvote 5
  • RV 2

1 hour ago, djohnnie said:

I am a bit confused now. We just announced yesterday we were continuing with football. Is this in regards to the other fall sports?

CUSA said they would make a decision Friday (today) - were continuing on until then. 

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Tom McKrackin said:

Football is a window to the University and gets press, so you better believe he cares about football. 

That said I think people will freak out as we get closer to a scheduled date and they will cancel college football regardless what the real issues are. 

23 minutes ago, KingDL1 said:

Football is a window to the University and gets press, so you better believe he cares about football. 

That said I think people will freak out as we get closer to a scheduled date and they will cancel college football regardless what the real issues are. 

He’s basically been the only administrator who has financially supported UNT sports. He saved us from RV’s losing reign.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
  • RV 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Dk79 said:

Geez...haven't they already "decided" on this like 3 or 4 times already? LOL 🤣

Regarding making decisions, I would have been good working at CUSA right now.  You see, before I got married to my wife, we dated for like 6 years.  You just can't make quick decisions.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I work with a bunch of PhD/academic types.  If they're typical, then it's not looking good.  Most of them are deathly afraid to even step out of their front door right now.  You should hear the disgust in their voices when they find out I went *gasp* to a restaurant.  

Edited by MeanGreenTeeth
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, MeanGreenTeeth said:

I work with a bunch of PhD/academic types.  If they're typical, then it's not looking good.  Most of them are deathly afraid to even step out of their front door right now.  You should hear the disgust in their voices when they find out I went *gasp* to a restaurant.  

We all know what they say about these types....they know more and more about less and less until they know absolutely everything about nothing.  

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 3
  • RV 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 3

22 hours ago, wardly said:

RV, like every Athletic Director before him, worked in an underfunded department. The bank vault did not open until Dr. Smatresk arrived.Anyone who thinks that he doesn't care about athletics is really mistaken. Also, most of our posters have a less that flattering opinion of RV. In his defense, since my freshman year of 1961 [excluding  Fry 's 3,000 sq. ft. athletic department building  in the parking between Fout's Field and the Super Pitt ] there had been no construction of any dedicated athletic facility at UNT. The new football stadium and administration  building are a result of his efforts while UNT went thru 3 or 4 presidents during his tenure. Please don't be dumb enough to say that those facilities would have been constructed anyway. Rick was less that perfect, but give him his due.

What he is "due" largely depends on who you talk to.

We were definitely underfunded, but IMO he seemed able to only keep us afloat...barely.  Couldn't get us over the hump and ahead of the curve.  Was he polarizing? His close circle seemed to love him, but then there were people who couldn't stay far enough away.  Maybe they got tired of him, for one reason or another.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, wardly said:

RV, like every Athletic Director before him, worked in an underfunded department. The bank vault did not open until Dr. Smatresk arrived.Anyone who thinks that he doesn't care about athletics is really mistaken. Also, most of our posters have a less that flattering opinion of RV. In his defense, since my freshman year of 1961 [excluding  Fry 's 3,000 sq. ft. athletic department building  in the parking between Fout's Field and the Super Pitt ] there had been no construction of any dedicated athletic facility at UNT. The new football stadium and administration  building are a result of his efforts while UNT went thru 3 or 4 presidents during his tenure. Please don't be dumb enough to say that those facilities would have been constructed anyway. Rick was less that perfect, but give him his due.

You better believe those buildings would have been built without RV and probably faster with just about anyone else The man was utter BS. 

55 minutes ago, greenminer said:

What he is "due" largely depends on who you talk to.

We were definitely underfunded, but IMO he seemed able to only keep us afloat...barely.  Couldn't get us over the hump and ahead of the curve.  Was he polarizing? His close circle seemed to love him, but then there were people who couldn't stay far enough away.  Maybe they got tired of him, for one reason or another.

I think everything went downhill when we stopped having the quarterly Mean Green Club meetings.

• Haha 1

I think one of the things that they are also struggling with is what happens if you start and then, for whatever reason, the season is stopped? Could you play again in the spring if you started in the fall? As is this season is a financial disaster, would it be even worse if you start and stop?

I am surprised, to allow for time in between games, one of the conferences has not looked at playing part of their games in the fall and then the rest in the spring.

• RV 1