Top 5 hitters in the history of UNT football?

meangreen11

Love those types of guys.  I got to town in 05 so Lee is my #1.  I’m a Temple TX native and a general football fan so Mean Joe is obvious.  I missed many (some by just a bit during the early 00s while I was still a Houston fan).  I knew I’d see Sed’s hit referenced on this thread, that was awesome. Wish he’d been able to do more of that and wish it weren’t targeting.  

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, meangreen11 said:

My list.

1).  Laramie Lee

2).  Zach Orr

3).  Craig Jones

4).  Jonas Buckles

5). Mean Joe Green

Damn good list. Lairamie is at the top of my list too. I’d throw an honorable mention to one of my favorite players too, Marcus Trice.

• Upvote 2

I came across this video the other night.  This was a very impressive team loaded with talent.  There's a big hit on a punt or kickoff return from Craig Jones but I could not find it.  Maybe someone else will.

PS - I would put this 2003 team up against any team in the history of North Texas football quite honestly.

Edited by Tom McKrackin
  • Upvote 2
  • RV 2

‘Course all this was back before those everyone-gets-a-ribbon sissies changed the game and made it a penalty to lay some wood on somebody.  
  Seriously though I think the way those guys played a few years ago were coached differently.  We may not see the type of heavy-hitters we saw in the past...

GMG

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

Honorable mention to Sed Ellis.

If you are gonna do Sed, you gotta throw Hilbert Jackson a bone for his hit on Mettenberger courtesy of a Skladany blitz at the 33:25 mark.

And also Brock Stickler got a decent lick in on Casey Fitzgerald’s 99-yard reception.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • RV 1

21 hours ago, MCMLXXX said:

Also you should consider Cody Spencer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cody_Spencer

I was in New Orleans several months ago and stopped at the spot on Iberville just off Bourbon where the ground still shakes.

It's where Spencer crossed paths with an enormous Colorado State lineman for a side-street brawl. It was a classic two hit fight...Cody hit the lineman and the giant hit the street, felled like a tree into the filthy gutter.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • RV 1

45 minutes ago, ADLER said:

I was in New Orleans several months ago and stopped at the spot on Iberville just off Bourbon where the ground still shakes.

It's where Spencer crossed paths with an enormous Colorado State lineman for a side-street brawl. It was a classic two hit fight...Cody hit the lineman and the giant hit the street, felled like a tree into the filthy gutter.

This story is new to me!

• Upvote 1