Pete Thamel: CUSA Pushing Forward

BillySee58

Stay the course  Great idea!  I’m at the first professional teams game allowing fans in Frisco tonight. They allowed 5,100 or 25% of capacity for season tickets holders to attend. Lots of space never felt safer. Beautiful night for futbol. Cold beer in hand. Make it happen college 🏈 football.

GMG

• Upvote 4

57 minutes ago, Arkstfan said:

Anyone want to start a pool on how many players turn up to have a congenital heart issue that only got diagnosed because of the greater scrutiny?

If so, that "specific testing" should become a standard protocol and instituted for student athletes starting at high school level.  I'm always suspicious of whether physical exams are thorough enough when hearing about a student athlete dying during practice. Expensive? Probably. Worth it? Think about how much the argument for the economic impact of sports is trotted out as a reason for a return to a regular fall schedule. Better yet, think of how you'd feel if it was your child's life that could be saved by greater scrutiny.

Edited by eulessismore
  • Upvote 7

On 8/14/2020 at 12:28 AM, eulessismore said:

If so, that "specific testing" should become a standard protocol and instituted for student athletes starting at high school level.  I'm always suspicious of whether physical exams are thorough enough when hearing about a student athlete dying during practice. Expensive? Probably. Worth it? Think about how much the argument for the economic impact of sports is trotted out as a reason for a return to a regular fall schedule. Better yet, think of how you'd feel if it was your child's life that could be saved by greater scrutiny.

While I agree, reality is unless it’s cheap and and easy won’t happen. The other day Hugh Freeze announced Liberty had gone 3 weeks without a positive. Turned out last two weeks they didn’t test because no one had symptoms. In other words weren’t willing risk players missing practice unless obviously sick. 

In many of these cardiac cases it’s usually a combination of factors aligning for it to be fatal so most you find would probably be fine and you’d have to replace them. 

• Upvote 3